Chinese Carbon Wheels

Meezo

Thanks, I am looking at a 38/50 combo with those Ed ceramic hubs. With vat it would come to around R10200 + clearing. If the rand can recover a bit more then I will bite the buller and place an order.

Also worth looking at Yoeleo wheels. Bought a set early last year, done close to 6000km on them and they're as good as new. Hit a few cateye's, no problem, taken them on a few offroad sections, no problem.

No truing needed yet - using Sapim x-ray spokes. They're 38/50 combo tubeless (no spoke holes is a bonus). Weren't the cheapest but they're light and strong. Nice website, good comms, courier delivery for free (perhaps this was once-off, not sure).

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also worth looking at Yoeleo wheels. Bought a set early last year, done close to 6000km on them and they're as good as new. Hit a few cateye's, no problem, taken them on a few offroad sections, no problem.

No truing needed yet - using Sapim x-ray spokes. They're 38/50 combo tubeless (no spoke holes is a bonus). Weren't the cheapest but they're light and strong. Nice website, good comms, courier delivery for free (perhaps this was once-off, not sure).

agreed Yoeleo wheelsets also very good. 

Just some more notes on the Farsport wheels, if you go for EDHUBs, go for ceramic bearing upgrade well worth it. the nice thing with these hubs are that they bitex re-branded (or at least the internal are Bitex) so locally easy to source spares, if required. 

Also no spare spokes are provided with wheels, so if you go through spokes worth ordering that as extra. The standard Skewers are perfect just a but heavier. recommend upgrading to there Ti version. 

Brake pad they supply, ok but i found mine squealed a lot so replaced with swiss top yellow now silent and better stopping power.

38/50 combo. This is what they quoted. Under 10k ex vat & clearing.

vat would be around R1600.

I guess this would be landed around R12k. Still cheaper than most carbon wheels you can buy locally. Pay day is around the corner... :whistling:

FSC38/50CM-25T(20H/24H) with echub ceramic bearing and Sapim cx-ray spokes: US$690/set (including shipping to South Africa)

Swiss stop brake pads and 1 set of skewers are included, no problem for spare spoks front and rear .

unquote

courier delivery for free (perhaps this was once-off, not sure).

Most refer to EMS for shipping.

That is essentially SAPO once it reaches SA isn't it.?

I had Parcel Force team up with EMS and I ended up collecting at post office after a lengthy wait.

Most refer to EMS for shipping.

That is essentially SAPO once it reaches SA isn't it.?

I had Parcel Force team up with EMS and I ended up collecting at post office after a lengthy wait.

Yes, EMS lands up at SAPO. Fortunately, the current delays are not as long as they were last year. 

I got actual courier delivery (i.e. to my door) within 5 days for free. As I said, perhaps they were being generous that day. 

I had some R40 rims on my radar, but alas, no stock. :(

New R40's will be in mid Feb.

We will also have the R40 is disc brake mid-Feb. 

Very happy with my light bicycle wheels. 46mm V shape. Ordered them without spoke holes for easier tubeless setup should I want to try it in future. Very stable in cross winds. I find that the wind effect is more of a steady push than the sudden movement experience I had on my previous 50mm U shaped rims. Braking excellent with supplied pads and no pulsing as with my yishunbike rims

post-26136-0-36328400-1548222683_thumb.jpeg

Yes, EMS lands up at SAPO. Fortunately, the current delays are not as long as they were last year. 

I got actual courier delivery (i.e. to my door) within 5 days for free. As I said, perhaps they were being generous that day. 

Been chatting to the guys at Farsport, they can use RPX Express couriers at $25 more.

Concern is that I dont know who these guys are, and if they would actually be better than EMS/Post Office or not.

They have no other option...

Very happy with my light bicycle wheels. 46mm V shape. Ordered them without spoke holes for easier tubeless setup should I want to try it in future.

LB are certainly one of the better options for quality.

Did you buy complete wheelsets or rims.?

I'm considering a new set of rims and the solid rim bed interests me, but I'm not sure LBS would be keen to build.

Edited by Thomo

LB are certainly one of the better options.

Did you buy complete wheelsets or rims.?

I'm considering a new set of rims and the solid rim bed interests me, but I'm not sure LBS would be keen to build.

Bought rims only. Hubs I bought from darkhorse wheels and had Anton, our ex sheriff????, lace the wheels with spokes and nipples supplied by him

Been chatting to the guys at Farsport, they can use RPX Express couriers at $25 more.

Concern is that I dont know who these guys are, and if they would actually be better than EMS/Post Office or not.

They have no other option...

RPX will deliver directly to you. They also handle clearance etc

Bought rims only. Hubs I bought from darkhorse wheels and had Anton, our ex sheriff????, lace the wheels with spokes and nipples supplied by him

I suspected the build was more time consuming than rocket science.

So probably not a popular exercise at LBS, but one that they would be capable of doing.

Just to throw a spanner into the works, and another choice with local support is the Concept Speed rims / wheel sets. Pricing starting from R12 495.00 for a complete XC MTB wheel set with 24mm ID profile and tubeless ready. Sales and feedback thus far have been great. 

https://www.bicyclepower.co.za/product-category/buy-bicycle-wheels-online/ 

At this price point, what Hubs and spokes are these wheels built with so that the folks can compare apples with apples?

At this price point, what Hubs and spokes are these wheels built with so that the folks can compare apples with apples?

Edited by DangerDave