New AM bike advice

KENDA

WHAAAAAT!!! Is this yours?!

No, just came across it in my daily gumtree routing, moerse bargain! I still prefer my intense 6.6:)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

i know this is an old thread, but i have been doing some window shopping for a potential future purchase and would like to know if anyone has any advise with regards to purchasing a new 2011 commencal meta team 5.5 (R16k) or 2012 commencal meta AM3(R19.5k). is the difference in bikes so big? The AM3 is 3.5k more, which is a droppers price, and would like to spend as little money as possible, so.....

if there are better options available at this price please let me know as well. Second hand market for size SMALL is dead at the moment and my knowledge of bikes is quite limited.

thnx

Edited by TAAHIRWP

i know this is an old thread, but i have been doing some window shopping for a potential future purchase and would like to know if anyone has any advise with regards to purchasing a new 2011 commencal meta team 5.5 (R16k) or 2012 commencal meta AM3(R19.5k). is the difference in bikes so big? The AM3 is 3.5k more, which is a droppers price, and would like to spend as little money as possible, so.....

if there are better options available at this price please let me know as well. Second hand market for size SMALL is dead at the moment and my knowledge of bikes is quite limited.

thnx

My personal preference would be the AM3, another option if you're looking at around R19.5k is the new Giant Trance 2 in 650b

I would also vote for the trance in 650b. Great deal and for a change Giant consulted with people with style(probably Italians) and given the bike a decent looking paint job. I will stay away from Scott and Spez in that price range range as you will be getting a pretty heavy bike. As for the Commencal I cannot comment. Just read reviews on their 2014 lineup and it was pretty good.

How buggered are your components? What are they? Would you not get more bang for your buck by investing in a new frame and shock set and then rebuilding the bike and with the spare change upgrading / adding some parts?

I know someone who is selling a medium Reign X frame with RP23 with some extras for R7k ;)

if you're looking at around R19.5k is the new Giant Trance 2 in 650b

19.5k is not my actual budget my original post is probably misleading. i am looking at spending around 15k or less, however having said that; when i was doing some research i came across the AM3.... And man!! i couldnt stop looking

But yeah i hear you if i go 19.5k then mght as well go 21k LoL.

Funny, my wife asked howmuch am i planning on spending on a bike she asked "9k?", i said "if im gonna spend 9k, then i might as well spend12k. And if im gonna spend 12k then i might as well spend 15k". So thats how i came to the 15k Figure.. :nuke:

19.5k is not my actual budget my original post is probably misleading. i am looking at spending around 15k or less, however having said that; when i was doing some research i came across the AM3.... And man!! i couldnt stop looking

Funny, my wife asked howmuch am i planning on spending on a bike she asked "9k?", i said "if im gonna spend 9k, then i might as well spend12k. And if im gonna spend 12k then i might as well spend 15k". So thats how i came to the 15k Figure.. :nuke:

That AM3 is a REALLY nice bike, OldFLow rides one. he bought it as a frameset and built it up. He loves the thing.

BTW: you can get the AM3 for R18k

http://www.commencal.co.za/

post-3441-0-08943400-1392191180_thumb.jpg

• How buggered are your components? only one 9speed SRAM X5 shifter housing is cracked, What are they? my bike is equipped with 9speed SRAM X5 components and Juicy 3 brakes. rest of the comps are Bontrager products, the stem(oozy) and handlebar(spike) are Spank products which will travel with me and the original bonty parts will go back on. Oh, tyres (Schwalbe NN )will also remain behind and Bonty's will go back on.
  • Would you not get more bang for your buck by investing in a new frame and shock set and then rebuilding the bike and with the spare change upgrading / adding some parts? cant say, haven't really been in the position before to speak from experience. But wouldn't it be easier to sell and get something that needs less upgrading ^_^?? current setup is 2011 fuel EX5 trail bike MEDIUM... just came back from the bike shop and they said to me that the bike is a wee bit too big for me (main reason for looking for alternative bike actually). i have been trying to ignore this fact since the day i bought the bike. secondly with the amount of stuff i plan on doing, or probably would end up doing... might or might not exceed. What i know for sure is that if i keep the drivetrain and get a decent fork,frame,wheelset, dropper will all cost me quite a bit. oh and then there is the obvious compatibility issues to take into consideration like, steerer dimensions, open drop out or TA, bottom bracket concerns etc. so..... which all limits my upgrade options at the moment.

• eg. i would like an air fork (because my weight is almost the same as a cement bag and sag adjustment would be easier than buying the correct coil for my weight. which costs R500), type of fork is limited to current wheel-set (generally all the good forks work with TA's), then steerer. so if i wanted to upgrade say, my fork... i would have to change front wheelsetup and maybe frame (frame is 120mm travel geometry, deviating from this might or might not have an impact on the way the bike handles and stuff).. Hope im making a bit of sense here... :ph34r:

• I know someone who is selling a medium Reign X frame with RP23 with some extras for R7k ;) is that the maroon one on gumtree??

That AM3 is a REALLY nice bike, OldFLow rides one. he bought it as a frameset and built it up. He loves the thing.

Yo FLOWTA, so those guys are legit??? i got an e-mail from the okes. he said we could negotiate a price... just wasn't sure of whether or not the website was a hoax.

Edited by TAAHIRWP

It is always funny when the wife's eyes grown and that look comes across her face when you tell her how much you just spent on a decent (Not even top end) bike frame, component or anything bike related :)

Yo FLOWTA, so those guys are legit??? i got an e-mail from the okes. he said we could negotiate a price... just wasn't sure of whether or not the website was a hoax.

I think they are, not sure how they work though.

If they're like Omnico and their Obike store, then you order it gets sent to your bike store of choice and you pay them.

Anyone know where I could get a medium in South Africa?

Yeah Taahir, they're legit. It's the Commencal clearance site. If you can get an AM3 for 18k, GO FOR IT! Ad much as the reign x is also a great bike, you're instantly looking at a new fork and rebuilt wheels on a new hubset, and then the group set as well seeing as you're thinking of upgrading that. That brings you to approx 18k already without factoring in new tyres etc. Unless you go 2nd hand on the parts, you won't come away with less than that. And then the Commencal has a full factory warranty whereas the giant won't.

If it were my money, I'd go for the AM3.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem