Stage Races: When, Where and How Much

Dubber

Swazi Frontier

Imana Wild Ride

should be added.

Wild Ride will work out more expensive per km because of the short dist per day. 250km over 4 days. Experience wise though, I'd rate it highly. Great ride. But that's moot, you won't get an entry.

edit: great resource Dubber

Edited by deanbean

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great list. Thanks for adding.

My list in order of best Stage races EVER (that I have done)

1. Houwhoek Tour (Best Kept secret... until now)

2. W2W (Most amazing organisation and route ever... ever)

3. Sani2C (Great area to ride) terrible SHOWERS!

All the others in here (Grape Escape, CA2C,)

99. Epic (its great but tough and EXPENSIVE!, not as social and enjoyable as the list above, just an 8 day afkak) besides this years which I heard was easy :whistling: . Real MTBers did 2012.

I have not done B2Bush and JHB2C, but doing Imana on Monday. Ill let you know where it slots in :thumbup:

Edited by TPbike

Where both team and single entries are available, the cost of the team entry has been used (just so we can compare apples with apples).

Hi Dubber!

Awesome work putting this together THANKS!!

Just one thing I noticed quickly is:

The prices you have for (PE2PLETT ; DR Evil Classic and Wines 2 Wales) are for single riders, and the price for the Lord of the Chain Rings is for the team of 2 riders.

Hi Dubber!

Awesome work putting this together THANKS!!

Just one thing I noticed quickly is:

The prices you have for (PE2PLETT ; DR Evil Classic and Wines 2 Wales) are for single riders, and the price for the Lord of the Chain Rings is for the team of 2 riders.

Thanks for that - i thought I had used team prices for all events. I'll double check and amend as needed.

Cheers

Oh, WAIT!!! I see now what you used...... the price of R4250 for the "Lord of the Chain Rings" that you have in there is the price that includes 4 nights HOTEL ACCOMMODATION and ALL meals!!! :drool: :clap:

Nice going Dubber working hard today I see! :ph34r:

But has this helped or hindered our decision making process for that Joburg2C entry??

Any idea of the costs?

For the 2014 edition you are looking at R28,700 pp for including airfare (15kg for yer bike), transfers, meals and accommodation (from the website). the 2013 edition was approx R25/26,000 pp if I recall correctly.

A bit hefty but I reckon it is probably worth going on the bucket list for two ticks (see Madagascar + do out of the ordinary MTB ride)

• 1 month later...

Just done Susi and Chuma MTB Challenge in ZamBia. Best bike experience yet. Surpasses Tour de Tuli and Sani2c IMHO. Great riding, may not be everybody's cup of tea as not a race but an incredible experience. Cost R8550 plus R5000 for ticket to Lusaka. Did put link under Events forum.

Thanx for this Dubber. it's gonna really help because i have this bug up my ass to do every multistage event the country has to offer, after doing my first one The Lowveld Quest. and then maybe (and i say maybe) get some big girl panties and finish the EPIC one day.

The costs are very scary though so it's gonna take me a few years. I got in for Berg & Bush Descent next month as well as Sani2C Race next year. Still trying to explain to the wife why the CC keeps getting rejected while she doing the grocery shopping :eek:

I don't think i would do them more than once, other than The Lowveld Quest (I want retrobution for our last place on stage 1) because it would be the same as watching a good movie twice, it's never as good as the first time.

I did the same thing when i started cycling as roadie in 98 and did my first Argus, i said i would do 10 and did it in 2010 which was cool but then i was conned into 11 in 2012 and like a **** entered for 12th in 2014 to try for a PB depending on how fiks i am. To be honest I actually gatvol of the whole Argus trip thingy by number 4 or 5 due to costs, So when we talk about the cost of stage races and how much they increase every year, I think about what it cost me to do my 1st Argus and what it will cost me now, the cost increase from a % point is the same if not more. Next year it will cost me about 7.5K for the Argus weekend. A stage race about the same on average or a bit less but much more riding and far better value for money.

Hi

Not sure when last this was done but attached is a list of the most popular stages in and around South Africa.

The list includes the month the event takes place in, how many days of riding there is, current cost of the event and a cost per kilometre summary column. (As well as some other info if available e.g. total ascent, start / end location etc).

Obviously not all events are created equally - what is include at some events won't be included at others; the cost per kilometre is just a general indicator.

Where both team and single entries are available, the cost of the team entry has been used (just so we can compare apples with apples).

Events where accommodation is not included have been highlighted.

Costs are mostly as per the 2013 entry fee. Where 2014 rates are available they have been used (again these exceptions have been highlighted).

If there are any events not on the list, post the name/website and I can happily add them.

Dusi2c