Over priced!

Joebike

I just finished three toasted egg, cheese and bacon sarms from my canteen at work. Cost me R27 for all three. Is that overpriced?

No, but it's close to over-eating! :D

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They also do great chocolate brownies .... when I walk in there the lady behind the counter hand picks me one before I reach the counter :thumbup:

True. My theory is that (even though I agree gear is ridiculously expensive) what drives the cost up most is the drive to have new, better, lighter, smarter, stiffer AND with a new "standard" every year.

A repaint and some spec change is one thing, but the fact that most of the industry chucks out all their molds and restart EVERY model year is what's making this giant snowball unstoppable. If more manufacturers operated like Santa Cruz, Turner, Yeti, Ibis and the likes we'd have a happier medium. But Specialized HAS to cover all R&D costs of their model year in that year - no chance of recouping their investment over three years. That leads to more staff and higher costs.

All this for (mostly) incremental improvements which 80% of folk (including you know who over on the flex-fred :ph34r: ) can't feel.

Same thing the car manufacturers managed to do, which is to convince the masses that their latest offering is a status symbol. Until next years model comes out, then they own a piece of rubbish that is no longer good enough, and has to be replaced with the newest model status symbol (which is exactly the same save for some minor cosmetic changes, and of no more practical valye than its predecessor) And so the spiral continues until the whole earth has been ****** over properly and we have to move to Mars where the climate will be milder.

I just finished three toasted egg, cheese and bacon sarms from my canteen at work. Cost me R27 for all three. Is that overpriced?

not over priced at all...but overweight!!!

Naa. the closest place within walking distance.

R24 a bowl of soup.

wow!! Our work canteen...R7 for a lekka mug of steaming hot soup.

add a sarmie for R12-00 and your lunch is sorted!!

OR you can go the full meal route for R30 -00...

home cooked stuff!!

Same thing the car manufacturers managed to do, which is to convince the masses that their latest offering is a status symbol. Until next years model comes out, then they own a piece of rubbish that is no longer good enough, and has to be replaced with the newest model status symbol (which is exactly the same save for some minor cosmetic changes, and of no more practical valye than its predecessor) And so the spiral continues until the whole earth has been ****** over properly and we have to move to Mars where the climate will be milder.

Could also be talking about phones.......

Bicycles and bicyxle equipment is super overpriced!For the price of some bikes you can buy a car!Makes no sense at all!How do you guys feel about that!?

i dunno how you got hold of my missus, but i don't appreciate you talking to her about this behind my back. topic over.

is this a serious thread?

So: I've seen people pay more for a meal than what a family earns in 6 months in Kenya.

How do you feel about that?

I've seen people the size of Kenyan families.

On my recent visit to Vancouver I spotted a Ford F150 (similar to our Ranger, possibly with a bigger load box) for $19 995, zero interest, zero deposit, payable over 84 months. That's $238 per month, no interest, or about 2380 ZAR. Here the Ranger equivalent costs R248 400 (super cab petrol) with interest at prime and zero deposit it would cost you 3428.32 ZAR or $343.

I also saw an S Works Epic for $8900 (about R89 000) which is on par for what we pay.

I also busted a rear derreulier on day 5 of a 7 day race. Guess what it cost to replace (include new brake pads and a brake bleed): $585! Same job here would have been around R3500.

I'm not sure who's ripping who off, but I'm confident that our bike prices are not inflated compared to the rest of the world. We have very cheap labour, so looking after our bikes are much cheaper and we pay a premium for items like cars here.

As a matter of interest, a ribeye steak in a supermarket was about $38 / kg. It was a damn fine steak though.

Dude, what planet are you from?

The WHOLE AIM OF CYCLING is to OWN A BIKE THAT IS WORTH MORE THAN YOUR CAR!

(Check, my tounge is in my cheek.)

Dude?! Hipster?

Talking about boards, how much is a decent surfboard these days?

Last year my custom( board only) cost R2300 on winter special,way cheaper that cycling.

http://beatboredom.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/vaseline.jpg

You've got it easy:

Edited by zappa

On my recent visit to Vancouver I spotted a Ford F150 (similar to our Ranger, possibly with a bigger load box) for $19 995, zero interest, zero deposit, payable over 84 months. That's $238 per month, no interest, or about 2380 ZAR. Here the Ranger equivalent costs R248 400 (super cab petrol) with interest at prime and zero deposit it would cost you 3428.32 ZAR or $343.

I also saw an S Works Epic for $8900 (about R89 000) which is on par for what we pay.

I also busted a rear derreulier on day 5 of a 7 day race. Guess what it cost to replace (include new brake pads and a brake bleed): $585! Same job here would have been around R3500.

I'm not sure who's ripping who off, but I'm confident that our bike prices are not inflated compared to the rest of the world. We have very cheap labour, so looking after our bikes are much cheaper and we pay a premium for items like cars here.

As a matter of interest, a ribeye steak in a supermarket was about $38 / kg. It was a damn fine steak though.

The problem with your analogy is that you should not convert the currencies...

That derailer job of ~$500 should equate to R500 here....which it does not.

I'm no economist but the earning parity between the two countires comes to mind...e.g what does R10 buys us here and what does $10 buys them over there???