Joebike

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at china for frames ....

Online stores for components ....

But you still gonna pay 10 -15 for something decent ...

The problem with your analogy is that you should not convert the currencies...

That derailer job of ~$500 should equate to R500 here....which it does not.

I'm no economist but the earning parity between the two countires comes to mind...e.g what does R10 buys us here and what does $10 buys them over there???

and how does that make any sense? so 500000 Zim dollars should equate to 500000 ZAR's?! A 20 000 dollar car should be 20 000 Rand? Huh?

and how does that make any sense? so 500000 Zim dollars should equate to 500000 ZAR's?! A 20 000 dollar car should be 20 000 Rand? Huh?

no, he is asking what the actual value is .. .like using the "Big Mac" currency theory

no, he is asking what the actual value is .. .like using the "Big Mac" currency theory

Ah, i.e. converting all the costs of all Big Mac countries in the world into one major currency, in this case USD, and then creating a real cost index (leaving average income etc out though). We could create a Specialized index that way. Or a Pinarello Index, that sounds much better :clap:

I don't think we come off too badly.

Guest KwaZulu Boertjie

Bicycles and bicyxle equipment is super overpriced!For the price of some bikes you can buy a car!Makes no sense at all!How do you guys feel about that!?

yo yo yo yo yo ! overpriced? sjoe!

Anything worth doing properly is 'expensive'.

Have you seen the price of top end flyfishing gear? Orvis anyone?

Golf? Clubs? Club Membership? golf cart? Balls?(which I'm always losing) then R250-R1000 per round of 18?

then halfway house, then drinks, then losing all the bets.

Any recording studio people around? You want to see expensive? :(

Watches? *WARNING* http://www.jomashop.com/patek-phillepe-grand-complications.html

I have guitars...a few guitars.... One being USD$12000 :blush:

I cringe to pay R500 for a pair of jeans or R70 for one pair of underpants :angry:

As long as you get enjoyment out of it, and you having fun its actually priceless. :thumbup:

The problem with your analogy is that you should not convert the currencies...

That derailer job of ~$500 should equate to R500 here....which it does not.

I'm no economist but the earning parity between the two countires comes to mind...e.g what does R10 buys us here and what does $10 buys them over there???

$19 995 buys me a new Ford F150. R50 000 cheaper than the comparative Ranger here. The price differential between bikes and cars is much smaller overseas. That was my point. The op mentioned that bikes are priced similarly to a small car. In Canada and the States you'll easily pay more for a top end bike compared to an entry level car. Our pricing compares to the rest of the world because we buy international brands. They dont care at hq if we pay in ZAR, YEN or $.

Taking into account that cars are also very overpriced in SA, yes bicycles are very overpriced, as is internet, cellphones/contracts, and electronic equipment/computers. But people are willing to pay these inflated prices, so why should they make it cheaper?

Last year my custom( board only) cost R2300 on winter special,way cheaper that cycling.

Jeez, that's not bad at all. When I was at varsity and trying my hand at surfing - and this is 20 years ago - I bought a Spider Murphy board for just over a grand.

No, but it's close to over-eating! :D

Hehehehehe! It was very cold in Jozi yesterday and I needed comfort food.