convert disc brakes from 180mm to 203mm

fandacious

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

203mm on 65kg is a bit overkill - If I may.

Momentum = mass x velocity.

I ride Hope X2 on 183mm and Im 85kg - if find it sufficient and I do ride stupid - not graceful.

That being said - the main reason I dont go to 203 is because Im afraid the fork might not handle it.

At 65kg that is a bit less of a problem.

Try it and see - you can always go back to 185 if needed.

Would be keen to listen to your findings. Make sure your fork is rated for it

........And it has a through axle

I have elixer 7s with 180 front and 160 rear and i am one of those "bigger" guys at 115+ (more on the plus side) and i have no issues stopping!

@mad about mtb - Those X2`s has never let me down! Thanx again!

hahaha I was surprised to hear that you are still using them :clap:

I have elixer 7s with 180 front and 160 rear and i am one of those "bigger" guys at 115+ (more on the plus side) and i have no issues stopping!

i'm actually replacing my avids with formula R1's. the Avids squeal ALL the time

all valid points from the guys here :thumbup: my 2c is get the 203's if the will fit and arent going to cause issues on the fork frame etc...

why because they look the frikken business, not other reason thats it,

you will be able to stop on a dime etc but they look cool.

when you are at the bike wash after a ride... they look cool.

when you get a coffee during your ride... they look, cool, when the XC race rats with 10c pieces for rotors pass you or when you pass them, they look cool..

i think that's about it from my value adding opinion :devil:

all valid points from the guys here :thumbup: my 2c is get the 203's if the will fit and arent going to cause issues on the fork frame etc...

why because they look the frikken business, not other reason thats it,

you will be able to stop on a dime etc but they look cool.

when you are at the bike wash after a ride... they look cool.

when you get a coffee during your ride... they look, cool, when the XC race rats with 10c pieces for rotors pass you or when you pass them, they look cool..

i think that's about it from my value adding opinion :devil:

styleman would approve!

i'm actually replacing my avids with formula R1's. the Avids squeal ALL the time

Ive already replaced rear rotor and will soon the front one as well. But on the other hand people always hear me coming up behind them so they tend to move faster! :D

I have 203 on the front and love it- I feel like they have more modulation, but I think that is just a feeling. It was also on special and it and the adapter came in at the same price as the 160, so went for it. Touch wood, haven't hit any rocks or anything cause is it bigger, so I like it.

• 11 months later...

Ok, I wonder if any of the experts can help me here:

My fork (XFusion Sweep) has a postmount 180mm mount. So I have a 180mm rotor mounted without any adaptor. So now I want to put on a 203mm. I have Shimano XT brakes (though I don't think this matters).

It seems to be very hard to find a postmount 180 to 203 conversion. All postmount to 203 that I have seen seem to be 160 to 203 (I have one :( found this out the hard way).

The only possible solution I have seen looks like this:

http://www.maguradirect-shop.com/qm-26-adapter-7-pm-fork-with-pm-caliperto-203mm-rotor.html

The question is will this work with any 180mm post mount fork / 203mm rotor / brake caliper?

If so, anyone know if this, or any similar adaptor is available locally?

schweet...

then secondly - I'm a lightweight (65kg) - will I notice a big difference between 203 and 180mm?

Best answer I can give: You're wasting your time:-

You adding mass to your bike (not much, but still there)

The parts cost more

Scaling proportionally, If 100kg guys need Ø203 then a 65kg guy could use Ø160.

For you, even Ø180 could be considered overkill for XC. Ø203 would a like bringing a nuclear bomb to knife fight - just a touch overkill

IMO, the only thing you will improve is your ability to launch over the bars.

My fork (XFusion Sweep) has a postmount 180mm mount. So I have a 180mm rotor mounted without any adaptor. So now I want to put on a 203mm. I have Shimano XT brakes (though I don't think this matters).

It seems to be very hard to find a postmount 180 to 203 conversion. All postmount to 203 that I have seen seem to be 160 to 203 (I have one :( found this out the hard way).

http://www.maguradirect-shop.com/qm-26-adapter-7-pm-fork-with-pm-caliperto-203mm-rotor.html

The question is will this work with any 180mm post mount fork / 203mm rotor / brake caliper?

I'm sure you get 180 to 203 post mount. Whenever I have a technical question like this I always call Jason from Int Trade. They sell the Hope mounts.

FWIW, I enjoy having 203s on the front being over 90kgs and liking the downhills. Reduces the chance of boiling the brake fluid and just gives awesome stopping power with Tech X2 brakes. The 180s never felt as good - had to use much more pressure for the same performance.

Guest Omega Man

http://www.maguradir...03mm-rotor.html

I'd take it to an lbs and get them to rifle around in their box of bits. They deff do exist. These are 2 i have in my box of bits. You're addin 10mm to the radius of your disc so I think a 160-180mm adapter is what you are after.

*Disclaimer; I am the worlds worst bike mech.

post-18968-0-13456000-1404022118_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega Man