Post your car p*rn

Behan

Would you be importing or are they available locally? What engine will you be using?

Locally, and there are a few outfits doing them.

Lo-Cost offer the chassis alone, as well as various options to suit. Chassis & wishbones at approx. R 23k, already built.

Birkin offer kits and fully built cars, anywhere up to R 250k depending on the fit and finish & engine choice

then there are other, less wel known builders offering full cars at up to R 125k, depending on the motor and wheel selection etc.

Then there's the option of going fully home built, if your welding skills are up to spec, with free downloadable cutting lists and 3d models, which you can use to build the chassis out of ordinary 1" 16 guage steel (or 1.25" steel if you want to bomb-proof it)

As for the motor - yet to decide. The most common is a Toyota 1.6 20v unit (the 4AGE) and then also the Ford Duratec / Zetec / Ecotec / whatevertec units mated to either a Cressida or sierra 'box and diff.

But if you want to, you can really put pretty much any motor you want into it, and if you're prepared to pay for a custom bell-housing (to mate the engine to your gearbox of choice) you can put a motorbike / rotary engine in it and go hell for leather.

Me - I'm probably going to choose from the following, just for spares availability and ease of service:

Toyota 1.6l 20v (most common)

Ford 2.0l Eco / Dura / Zetec

(both of the above w ford gearboxes)

or a bimmer 325 or just go cray and stick a ford v6 from a bakkie. They'll all fit, if you make modifications to the chasis to strengthen and accommodate the different mounting points and transmission tunnels...

So for me - it's all about the research at the moment. Chassis provider will kinda dictate engine, to a degree, due to the gearbox & transmission tunnel being slightly different according to the engine orientation etc, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 325/327is motor would be amazing!!!!

I presume you mean 328is? And yes - but to find one that isn't poked to hell and back will be a bit of a challenge! Suppose that in this case an auto won't be a bad thing to buy as I can always sell it for a reconned manual box....

And that is about the only view most of us will get to see

Depends what you drive.... :whistling:

And how you drive it......... :ph34r:  

Cap, a Frord V6 motor is not the wisest choice. It's a heavy, lazy motor. Will make the nose too heavy and prone to understeering, pushing the nose out in tight corners when the car is driven the way it's meant to be. The same with the 6pot Beemer motors.

Best to stick to the 4pots. And as you say, the 1.6 20v Toyota (spit spit...) motors is the most common choice.

Me, I'm a Nissan fan, therefore I'll cram an SR20DET motor in there. Bulletproof little motors, with the latest series "blacktop" motors developing in the region of 150 flywheel KW. More than enough for a brilliant little toy.

And it should show a clean pair of heels around a track to the Porker in the photo's above. :devil: :ph34r:

I presume you mean 328is? And yes - but to find one that isn't poked to hell and back will be a bit of a challenge! Suppose that in this case an auto won't be a bad thing to buy as I can always sell it for a reconned manual box....

No i mean a 327is.. and yep most of them are royally poked. But would be fun and the sound would be epic.

Cap, a Frord V6 motor is not the wisest choice. It's a heavy, lazy motor. Will make the nose too heavy and prone to understeering, pushing the nose out in tight corners when the car is driven the way it's meant to be. The same with the 6pot Beemer motors.

Best to stick to the 4pots. And as you say, the 1.6 20v Toyota (spit spit...) motors is the most common choice.

Me, I'm a Nissan fan, therefore I'll cram an SR20DET motor in there. Bulletproof little motors, with the latest series "blacktop" motors developing in the region of 150 flywheel KW. More than enough for a brilliant little toy.

And it should show a clean pair of heels around a track to the Porker in the photo's above. :devil: :ph34r:

BWHAAAAAAAAA

No i mean a 327is.. and yep most of them are royally poked. But would be fun and the sound would be epic.

It is the 325i motor that was stroked to 2.7l and used in the Shadowline BM's.Only produced about 126kw, it got's ass handed to it on many an occasion by the Opel Superboss with only a 2l 4 pot motor.

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking along the lines of the 4 potters and a potential turbo upgrade int eh future :devil:

Those sr20DET's are indeed potent. But a mate of mine has planted a nasty little seed in my head - s2000 motor. Pity they're upwards of 50k for an okay one...

It is the 325i motor that was stroked to 2.7l and used in the Shadowline BM's.Only produced about 126kw, it got's ass handed to it on many an occasion by the Opel Superboss with only a 2l 4 pot motor.

100% correct. Out the factory 2.7 used in the Evo2 etc.

100% got its ass handed to it by the superboss (and so did I many times in my mk1)

BUT!!

Nothing affordable sounds as good as the 2.5/2.7 straight six scream at full chat!!

YOu jest.... a properly set up seven will run rings around a porker. Given equal driving skill, that is.

Spoken like a true Porker fan / owner. :whistling:  :devil:

you guys are funny

yes i am biased,,,,,,,but i have driven both :whistling: owned many, apples with apples boys, a std carrera around a track against a hot race ready 7 duhhhhh

race gt2/3 against a 7 shampies