Shimano AM45's as a good all rounder?

Grebel

My riding interests have changed a bit over the last few months and instead of paying to queue for singletrack and hitting the bull runs for fun, I have decided to shy away from the Classics and the district roads and ride what makes me happy. My XC ballet shoes are gone and I need a new pair if SPD shoes for my trail bike.

Planning on running Five Ten Impacts with CB 50/50's on my DH bike and 520's with the SHimano AM45's on my trail bike.

The question is, if I decide to go do a 40k will the AM45's be OK or will they have too much flex? I would like to use them predominantly for Trail/Enduro type riding and one day when my nuts grow a bit I'll use them with a set of DX pedals on my DH bike.

Feedback from users (of the AM45's.....) would be great thanks!

You will be fine with AM45's.

Mine did take a ride or 2 to 'break in' but they are perfect for all day riding.

The 45s is still a stiff shoe. Offers more protection and comfort over conventional fairy shoes. Im considering the same move. Ditching my Mavics in favor of a pair of Maltese Falcons.

You won't be disappointed. Look at he PDM-530s though instead of the 520. Much better pedal.

You will be fine with AM45's.

Mine did take a ride or 2 to 'break in' but they are perfect for all day riding.

Thanks. Just need to find them in s UK9,5 now... CRC got a UK9 just not sure if they will be wide enough.

The 45s are still a stiff shoe. Offers more protection and comfort over conventional fairy shoes. Im considering the same move. Ditching my Mavics in favor of a pair of Maltese Falcons.

You won't be disappointed. Look at he PDM-530s though instead of the 520. Much better pedal.

Thanks. Got a set of 520's on at the moment that I can't break and haven't had a days grief with in the last 5 years. Will look at the 530's when the 520's finally give in.

Thanks. Just need to find them in s UK9,5 now... CRC got a UK9 just not sure if they will be wide enough.

They're pretty wide as is, wear a 9 usually and have quite narrow feet, these in 9.0 I found to be roomier than most shoes I own.

One thing to bear in mind with all day riding is that these puppies aren't light... They're, erm, solid.

They're pretty wide as is, wear a 9 usually and have quite narrow feet, these in 9.0 I found to be roomier than most shoes I own.

One thing to bear in mind with all day riding is that these puppies aren't light... They're, erm, solid.

Dude, I could never ride all day! :P

how well do they ventilate?

how well do they ventilate?

Not all that well compared to XC shoes, unfortunately. They tend towards "water and gunk proof" rather than ventilated. The problem is an entire top section covering the laces which is not ventilated. Actually, there are very little ventilated portions, it's mostly built to protect your feet rather than keep them cool.

All that being said, they're very comfortable once you get used to the added heft.

They are the best in the winter because they keep your feet nice and hot but unfortunately as mentioned, they do not ventilate well so in the summer they do tend to be a bit hot. They are quite broad, I have to run my cleats on the outer extremes so that I don't get crank and shoe rub. The shoes are also heavy compared to and xc shoe but it is not really noticeable when riding.

One great thing about the AM45's are that they cover up over your ankles on the inside so that if you happen to whack your ankle on the frame or crank you are protected.

Over all these are very good shoes and I would recommend them to anybody looking for an alternative to xc shoes. I have had my set for almost a year now and there are no signs of rips or separation anywhere. They are well worth the price

Been using mine for well on two years now, have others shoes as well ( specialized bg's and a shimano xtc shoe).

The am45's are still the ones I grab first unless I'm in Lycra.

They are super comfy, wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

Archived