SA MTB Ballies (over 30) Mentalities ??? Please explain

nigelhicks

But ..... Con binned it on a 1m wide gap jump ....

and Chris binned it on a small off camBer section ... with nothing in the way - Nick says he just fell badly

No rocks or other stuff to take you out - i know the section its just above the DH finish in the trees - and there is nothing there - its just an off camber bank that cuts out a bench cut switchback.

This is speculation, but he may have got it wrong and crashed down the camber landing on the bench cut below - that would have hurt.

But no there is nothing Dangerous there ... its just you ride along a cambered bank for 5m

Fair enough - in that case I'll take the Iron approach and keep my comments until aftewards. Last time I rode PMB it was fast, flowing, fun, lung busting with no need to take any B lines....let's see what Nick has in store for us :-)

Now that it's a few weeks away it's getting real and I'm itching to throw leg over bike. The Niner is complete and keeps whispering sweet nothings like "RIDE ME NOW!!!!" in my ear....

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough - in that case I'll take the Iron approach and keep my comments until aftewards. Last time I rode PMB it was fast, flowing, fun, lung busting with no need to take any B lines....let's see what Nick has in store for us :-)

Now that it's a few weeks away it's getting real and I'm itching to throw leg over bike. The Niner is complete and keeps whispering sweet nothings like "RIDE ME NOW!!!!" in my ear....

Never a truer word spoken.....

Never a truer word spoken.....

Grebel I will be joining you in the 40 -44 DHI. I am ridding the track on Friday. Perhaps we Hubber can meet.

Grebel I will be joining you in the 40 -44 DHI. I am ridding the track on Friday. Perhaps we Hubber can meet.

Hey Sean, I was planning to go up on Saturday but I'm sure I can make a plan. Will see what our plans are like and let you know.

Hey Sean, I was planning to go up on Saturday but I'm sure I can make a plan. Will see what our plans are like and let you know.

Cool. Nice to see who's who in the Zoo. :clap:

When are you coming down?

Grebs , im down from the 16 th till the 26th .

we need to hookup and have a beer or somthing

i second that notion...and a ride or two if you are game iron...looks like the course will be closed from this weekend, so it will have to be karkloof or hilton or howick

Nigel how is the course for those three over 60's and one over 70? They are the real legends. DH World Champ over 60 and 70 must be the coolest title ever!

Caad, My Pops is riding 65-69, well he might be riding. He went down last week to practice the course and binned it BIG time in one rock garden. He has hurt his back properly and will see if he will be ok in time.

Lets hope he gets his once in a lifetime opportunity at MTB worlds. He has done a few Road worlds.

I will keep you all informed about course closures etc ... I have a meeting with everyone tomorrow afternoon - so will let you know the decisions after that.

Tracks will be open this long weekend - but likely will be closed for riding the following weekend ... you will be welcome to walk the tracks just not ride...

But i will let you know what the decisions are

Caad, My Pops is riding 65-69, well he might be riding. He went down last week to practice the course and binned it BIG time in one rock garden. He has hurt his back properly and will see if he will be ok in time.

Lets hope he gets his once in a lifetime opportunity at MTB worlds. He has done a few Road worlds.

Oom Sandy doesn't loom that old.

AAAH YES

thanks for reminding me - GUYS ... PLEASE NOTE - Nick and I will likely be closing both tracks after this long weekend so we can do final repairs and maintenance .....

I will let you all know of exact dates ... but this weekend will be the LAST WEEKEND that you will get to practice

Please can you confirm that you will be closing the course, as I know quite a few riders from JHB were planning on coming down the week after the long one.

Sounds like a plan. I will be up there from hopefully the 21st for registration and practice etc. I'll give you a call.

I think I am going to need more than beer to get me through this...

Are you staying in or near PMB?

Nigel how is the course for those three over 60's and one over 70? They are the real legends. DH World Champ over 60 and 70 must be the coolest title ever!

the track is fine - if you take all the b and c lines you can keep your wheels on the ground the entire run pretty much ....

There are 4 small (no higher than knee height) rock drops that you need to plop off - but you can roll them if you need to ... but all are almost dead straight so with the speed you have you ride them like a pavement and you are fine.

Otherwise every gap jump etc has a B line, with Cloud 9 having B and C lines.

Nigel, do I understand correctly that it is the 30something ballies complaining, but that the 50somethings are OK to ride it the way it was intended? In that case, I agree with calling the 30somethings ballies and I suggest we call the 50something guys "dudes" from now on! :devil: