Polar RS800CX Bike sadness

Swart Kat

I've got this great watch, when its working right. Polar propably have the best service of any company I know, but I'm now just tired of struggling with the watch! The main problem are the HR. it jumps up and down and I had the watch checked numeral times now and they replaced the strap now 4 times in 2 months and I'm riding without the watch more than with it!

Now I'm in the market for a Garmin. I know their srvice are not on the same level as Polar, but I'm just tired. This Garmin 810 looks like a good option!

post-39156-0-50000200-1375718820_thumb.jpg

Not quite sure who told you Garmins service is not top notch?!?!

Almost EVERYONE on here believes Garmin is the best thing since toast (me included).

Only had the most professional service from them and they just keep on giving...

You will never go wrong with Garmin and there service will definitely not let you down

I have RS800CX and I have had similar issues with my watch but let me tell you that when the watch works it is the best thing ever. But when it bombs it bombs bigtime

Last time I sent my polar in for battery replacement I waited almost 3 weeks to get it back. Not exactly what I call great service

Ye enjoy my polar, but these days about 20 minutes into my ride the heart rate just stops monitoring. Really annoying

The new type straps work well for me and sell batteries now which comes with O-ring seal.Polar works for me.

The new type straps work well for me and sell batteries now which comes with O-ring seal.Polar works for me.

I also love my polar. Been using it for 5 years now (same watch) without much trouble. Just annoyed with the service I received from them last few times

Bought a garmin (something 500) sometime back and used it for 3 weeks and then took the polar out of the cupboard

Edited by Jaco-fiets

I need a battery replaced on my CS300 but not in the mood for the schlep to get it to Polar. Where did you get the battery with the o rings if I may ask?

Ye enjoy my polar, but these days about 20 minutes into my ride the heart rate just stops monitoring. Really annoying

That is whats wrong with the watch! New strap, new batteries and all, but my HR jumps to 110% and then down to 85% etc etc and then stops after 20min! Service is great, never wait longer than 4 days!

imo Both have issues, Garmin just less so.

I have used both, been let down badly by both. Started off with the Polar, then added Garmin. Chose to stick with Garmin as the lesser of two evils (when i had the Edge 305)

Learnt how to use all the Garmin features properly - its actually a great package for training and racing.

Now I have the Edge 800 - superb, no issues so far. Really good device.

You wont regret going with Garmin, warrenty is 12 months not 24, but you do get assistance if needed.

The garmin cadence/speed sensor is still a piece of leaky crap - batteries have to be replaced regularly.

Polar and Garmin have completely different histories and have tended to focus on differing segments in the market. Garmin have prided themselves as a predominantly GPS based product whilst Polar have made their name through their heart rate functionality.

I often see posts here and elsewhere comparing the two product directly against one another and do not believe it's fair.

I do believe that with rapidly growing technology both products and others will have specifications and functionality that will be directly comparable.

That is whats wrong with the watch! New strap, new batteries and all, but my HR jumps to 110% and then down to 85% etc etc and then stops after 20min! Service is great, never wait longer than 4 days!

I must say, I have stopped scrubbing the thing in the shower and just left it alone. Seems to be working better, maybe the salt water conducts current better and just helps with the working of the thing, not sure.

I must say, I have stopped scrubbing the thing in the shower and just left it alone. Seems to be working better, maybe the salt water conducts current better and just helps with the working of the thing, not sure.

Try use a different type of strap, I'm convinced most of these problems are related to the fabric type straps. Had endless problems with my CS400 and eventually found that the old T31 strap is compatible and started using it - never had another problem with inconsistent readings.

Unfortunately I don't think the T31 is compatible with the RS800 series

This is what the T31 looks like, no fabric ***...

post-182-0-61435100-1375782575.png

I've used Polar for some time (F6, AXN500, RS800) and have started using the Garmin (Edge 800) for heartrate since the Sani. Units from both manufacturers work well when they are working. I have found that it takes more effort to get the Polar to pick up my heartrate (basically have to shower!) than the Garmin, but I've had issues with irratic heartrates with both manufacturers from time to time. I've had similar issues with the heartrate on the Polar dying after about 20 min. In my case the wrong battery was in the strap (CR2025 i.s.o. CR2032) so check that. W.r.t. the Polar service, I think it's crap. I don't want to schlep to them everytime I need something done - and then have to make an apointment (sometimes) weeks in advance!