Too much coffee and red meat ..... ?

Been having some problems getting in a good nights rest, fall asleep easy enough but then wake at odd hours (anything from 1-3am) and struggle to get back to sleep. And no not because I'm old and have a weak bladder!

Also 2 'physical' symptoms:-

1) Sort of indigestion feeling (not heartburn)

2) 2 toes on my left foot paining

So my wife (aka medical ekspet) says it's because (A) you drink too much coffee and (B) you eat so much red meat.

And in both cases she is correct (yes ladies I know .....), love a good cup of coffee and probably drink about 5-6 cups a day. In my quest to keep my weight managable I do follow a rather low carb diet but with lots of veg and RED meat. We do have chicken/pork occasionally though. In the case of red meat I also eat quite a bit of biltong (again my wife would say lots :) ) and enjoy the fatty bits.

I have committed to stop coffee completely and reduce red meat drastically to see if it helps, have been in fact since Saturday. First thing is that I am sleeping better but have had pretty crazy headaches that seem to be easing ....... the toes have stopped hurting ....

Just as an aside my persistent post nasal drip I always get towards the end of winter has eased, hopefully somehow a 'bonus' side effect?

So just wondering if this is all related somehow or if it's just some damn placebo effect and it will return ....

Anyone else had similar issues?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also wake in the night and struggle to get back to sleep. I do drink about 3 to 5 cups of coffee a day. Lattes. But not much red meat(surprising for a beef and mutton farmer).

Myself?

No coffee after lunchtime - except real decaf

No big heavy red meat meal for dinner - light meal with chicken or fish

I sleep like a baby

Get your uric acid tested for gout if your toes are hurting! Headache is def the caffeine withdrawal/hangover!

Headaches definitely better, nothing so far today ....

Slept way better last night, just wondering if red meat would cause/aggravate gout? Toes have been OK as well ....

I agree with Dean Bean, the headaches are most likely coffee withdrawal symptoms but I must have a cast iron constitution, I drink 5 cups of coffee before lunch, .......at least 8 or even more, in a 17 hour day in general. :eek: - no side effects that I know of. B)

Medically we all function much the same but I guess we are all different in preferences and what suits us, and a not so big secret is that one persons dietary intake is not necessarily going to work for another, so personally, I think we all just need to monitor what works for us and stick to that with small modifications as we go along.

Red meat does make gout worse, if it's gout you have.

Well not going to bother to get it diagnosed if with these changes to my diet it goes away, as I said it seems to already have had a positive effect :)

I agree with Dean Bean, the headaches are most likely coffee withdrawal symptoms but I must have a cast iron constitution, I drink 5 cups of coffee before lunch, .......at least 8 or even more, in a 17 hour day in general. :eek: - no side effects that I know of. B)

Medically we all function much the same but I guess we are all different in preferences and what suits us, and a not so big secret is that one persons dietary intake is not necessarily going to work for another, so personally, I think we all just need to monitor what works for us and stick to that with small modifications as we go along.

You my friend are a damn lucky guy! I love coffee but I need my sleep more :thumbup:

Headaches definitely better, nothing so far today ....

Slept way better last night, just wondering if red meat would cause/aggravate gout? Toes have been OK as well ....

Possible I guess,.......see if it improves for you by reducing protein then you can be sure I guess.

Personally a low carb diet doesn't work for me, I tend to get headaches and feel flat so I enjoy complex carbs like Potatoes, Rye Bread, wholewheat pasta etc, and my weight is not effected by eating them, obviously if you want to watch your weight its not a good idea to have them with loads of high fat cream sauces and butter etc but with a tomato base sauce or olive oil instead of butter I can easily enjoy a protein-less meal of say a green salad and a baked potato for example and feel very satisfied.

The Headaches are caffiene withdrawels. I've experienced the same, with or without meat. Switch to 'cleaner' burning coffee like strong espresso. Filter, instant and plunger has a very high caffiene content. Meat probably isn't the issue.. but I'm no doctor !

For the indigestion, you say it isn't heartburn, but it must be somewhat uncomfortable otherwise you wouldn't have said so.

If you get that again, take some apple cider vinegar or "genuine" lemon juice (not from the bottle as it has preservatives).

If the indigestion goes away within minutes, then you have stomach acid deficincy which you can improve through suppliments.

I sleep like a rock, drink round 10-15 cups a day... but I get a headache in the morning if I don't wake up before 10 to get my coffee fix.. I am a student though, which means no worries to keep me awake:)

When I used to work for a large multinational company I was flying around a lot. Eating lots of red meat, drinking lots of wine and coffee. Feet and toes started hurting...really bad. Got gout.

I went vegetarian, stopped boozing, cut the coffee and felt awesome.

Cut the crap, you'll feel better and your cycling will improve.