Voriberg 10 August

Active Monkey

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jip. Had some technicals - but still. Not as easy as before. Some great single track. 2 lekka climbs per round. I walk one section of 50m each round.

This is a race that I underestimate every time. But good fun and good training. Nice climbs, single track, flat jeep track sections and the last part of the lap is always windy. For me, it's not the toughest race around, but it's much tougher than it looks on the profile.

Visiting my folks in Gariep dam this weekend so will have to give it a miss. Last one I did was March/April even though I've been wanting to get back out there.

If you're riding, enjoy and keep it rubber side down.

Always have pink in the medal - their "trademark" I think. The course is really nicely sorted now. Lots of singletrack, spots of technical area, climbing, Long grinds into the wind etc. Well marked today. Branches nicely cut back. Got in sub 3:45 - chuffed! Two very ungracefull dismounts - GOOD MTB'ing! Now for Babbas tomorow.....

Took one hell of a tumble, just after the rocky descent after three sisters. Nothing broken but my ego, back was sore (bruised) after that so ended up slowing down. I dunno about this race, I loved the climbs and the singletrack, but there's sections that's downright dangerous, and there's sections that's just a mofo bitch on your back (seriously, who wants to do 5km on grass tufts/graspolle? It's an effing killer on your back) A lot of development needs to be done on that track, but it has GREAT potential.

The marking was good, the marshalls were mostly good (except for the one guy waving his flag left and pointing right, hella confusing so I spoke to him and explained why there's so many skidmarks to the left (we were supposed to go right) and he chuckled and sorted his flag waving out.)

Nice to get a Bundy (would've been better if it was some of their legendary notorious rum) cooldrink and Jelly Bellys at the finish line.

Debatable if I'll go back, and the tumble has nothing to do with it.

Nice meeting you today TALUS even though you hurt my legs on that first lap, good ride!

Love riding out there, a bit of everything. The second lap bites those who race the first ;)

Really enjoyed my first Voriberg! Definitely tough and my legs are quite tender right now. Finished in 3h07 so happy with that, managed to catch a couple of guys on lap 2.

I think this is a very well balanced course with a bit of everything - steep climbs with some rock, steep descents with a lot of rock! plenty single track and some fast flats, even a bit of sand. Best thing is it's 99.9% rideable (suppose 100% for some). Thought the course was well marked ( much better than last week's fiasco at Red Barn!) and no congestion. I will be back.

Great day out, really enjoy that route. Climbs are mild, didn't even have to drop the granny! Def. some of the best flowing and fastest single track up here, and through some great nature. Did you notice all the birds out and about? of the feathered variety. Had me whistling along :)

The technical bits in the descents are nothing unusual for mtb routes up here, really you must make the call if you can handle it or not, if not, walk it, and please to one side, out of the way for the others riding it (moi!)

My only winge would be having all the racing snakes of the 30 k disturbing my ride, if you want to pass, then wait until there is a clearing, why should I get off the path for you? !

70k field was small, which means I was one of the tail-enders, no problem but a potential problem was the marshal's were packing up whilst there were still others on the track. I don't have a problem with directions, but others could have had a problem getting back.

Last time I rode it, it was killer hot. Today was fresh and mild, nice!

Nice meeting you today TALUS even though you hurt my legs on that first lap, good ride!

Love riding out there, a bit of everything. The second lap bites those who race the first ;)

I greatly benefitted from the lines you picked for most of the first round. Will look out for your numberplate at races... I rode 2h first lap and 1:44 second. I have been bitten before!

Took one hell of a tumble, just after the rocky descent after three sisters. Nothing broken but my ego, back was sore (bruised) after that so ended up slowing down. I dunno about this race, I loved the climbs and the singletrack, but there's sections that's downright dangerous, and there's sections that's just a mofo bitch on your back (seriously, who wants to do 5km on grass tufts/graspolle? It's an effing killer on your back) A lot of development needs to be done on that track, but it has GREAT potential.

The marking was good, the marshalls were mostly good (except for the one guy waving his flag left and pointing right, hella confusing so I spoke to him and explained why there's so many skidmarks to the left (we were supposed to go right) and he chuckled and sorted his flag waving out.)

Nice to get a Bundy (would've been better if it was some of their legendary notorious rum) cooldrink and Jelly Bellys at the finish line.

Debatable if I'll go back, and the tumble has nothing to do with it.

Were you in the MTN gear?