Bryton Rider 20H... worth it?

T-Bob

Just found an onine deal to get a new Bryton Rider 20 GPS with the Ant+ HRM for around R1000.

Just wondering who's used it and if they were worth while.

Thanks.

Cheap enough that if it doesn't work it won't kill you.... :)

My race partner uses a Bryton - some small glitches, but nothing serious/unmanageable.

Note - I know nothing about the features of that toy - but for offroad use, I would check it can be used for some level of navigation - as some of the multiday races are moving to GPS guided routes (unmarked) - and it seems short sighted to buy something without some level of navigation if you plan on doing some of those events.

Cheap enough that if it doesn't work it won't kill you.... :)

My race partner uses a Bryton - some small glitches, but nothing serious/unmanageable.

Note - I know nothing about the features of that toy - but for offroad use, I would check it can be used for some level of navigation - as some of the multiday races are moving to GPS guided routes (unmarked) - and it seems short sighted to buy something without some level of navigation if you plan on doing some of those events.

No navigation. It's the entry level one.

I have one with the cadence and heart rate monitor as well.

Works well enough to show you the basics during a ride. So you can monitor average speed, average heart rate, cadence etc.

The Bryton website allows you to upload rides and gives you enough detail for your ride. You can then also see your route on Google Earth style images and elevation etc.

Battery life has been good, except for the heart rate unit which seems to run flat pretty quickly even when removed from the strap.

As mentioned it doesn't support navigation, so is really only a view while riding and record device.

Guess it depends on your needs. At that price it seems pretty reasonable.

i have the rider35 which does have some sort of nav...been more than happy with it except their shitty website.i store all my info on strave so it does not really matter but that sort of nullifies the advantage of a barometric alitmeter...if they sort their website out and get transfer to strava working properly it would be fantastic...right now its just good

Thanks for the info. I'm currently running a simple catseye on the bars and rolling strava in the back pocket on my phone. Strava kills my battery life and I'm shocking at making sure there is enough juice in it before riding.

To be honest I was quite interested in the HR monitor / lack of cables / easy between bikes. May be I should just get a holder for the iphone, upgrade strava to live mapping and stick with that.

I have the 35 as well... Picked it up second hand here in the hub.

Had HRM issues, and Bruton were absolutely amazing in sorting me out with a new one at no cost, without asking for receipts or anything, and really accommodating.

I had the cateye before, and the change has been awesome! I love the gps mapping, the battery life is amazing, and today discovered its suitability to use in the wet.

I also use strava for viewing rides, so can't comment on the site much. But my riding partners all ride with garmins and the data is almost an exact match.

If you can spend the extra for a 40 or 50, I'm sure you won't regret it... Keep a lookout for second hand units too!

i have the rider35 which does have some sort of nav...been more than happy with it except their shitty website.i store all my info on strave so it does not really matter but that sort of nullifies the advantage of a barometric alitmeter...if they sort their website out and get transfer to strava working properly it would be fantastic...right now its just good

Ive also got the 35. Fully agree about the site

Ive also got the 35. Fully agree about the site

Another 35 owner who agrees.

@OP if your getting the Bryton at a bargain then its a great device.

It's on a UK group buying site but only delivers to UK addresses and registered CC's. I'm over here for another week and hoping to pick one up before I head out but haven't had any experience with them. Quite a few Garmin 500s and Bryton 35's going cheap on ebay so not sure if they are a better bet.

Just an update: Evans have a sale on alot of GPS and the Bryton Rider 20 is going for a nice £54.00 (R800 odd) and £81 with the HRM. Also the Rider 40 is around £120 with the HRM and the cadence.

Merlin are also doing similar deals.

My 35 has served me well, especially since I started using my own magnets for the cadence monitor and stopped using the HRM (if not flat it gives unrealistic readings).

My 35 has served me well, especially since I started using my own magnets for the cadence monitor and stopped using the HRM (if not flat it gives unrealistic readings).

is the HRM a bit flaky?

Well mine was, maybe mine was made on a Friday afternoon ... Would sometimes show HR of close to 200 when strapping on and then either stay there or after a few minutes drop to 60-odd. When working well it would still occasionally show high readings when I'm just coasting a couple of minutes after struggling over a hill.

But likely many other happy customers, but now I only look at cadence.