Which 29er for my purpose - advice please?

racman

I currently own a BMC FS02 26" which I recently purchased used but am finding that IMO it is very race focused (or is it just me) in terms of riding position etc. I am 5'10 but find the riding position very stretched out ( in fact my Spez Roubaix is more comfortable)

While I managed to get an entry into 2014 j2c, I really am not a race snake and am looking for something that would suit the j2c but also be enjoyable for single track and fun riding - perhaps a slightly more relaxed riding position but not too heavy. I doubt I will be doing more than one stage race a year so it seems senseless to me to have a bike that is more racing orientated, just for this.

Any ideas, suggestions etc

Edited by racman

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ripley! I'm sure the quote as is still stands...

I was wondering what happened after my last e-mail as I never got the quote. Resend please Crow?

Edited by racman

I ride a FS01. I put a riser bar, fatter tires and a 120mm fork on it. It made a massive difference. It is a beautiful trail bike now.

Even if you keep the 100mm fork and just raise the handlebar it will work lekker.

Trek or better a Rocky Mountain Elements (not BC) 970 if you got bags of cash.

Lower your tyre pressures. Bring your seat forward. Raise from bars. Add padded palm grips.Try a few seats.try a few j2c you need to feel you on a lazy boy or you have a nurse popping your wounds on your butt.

Get a PROPER SET UP. Again get a proper set up.

Have fun.

Specialized Stumpy FSR, Pyga, Cannondale Trigger, Giant Trance, etc. There's loads of bikes that should fit what you're looking for.

What sort of budget are you playing with?

I recently bought a Spez Epic Comp Carbon.

It handles better than my merida dual 26r.

(i also bought it for J2C)

What sort of budget are you playing with?

I recently bought a Spez Epic Comp Carbon.

It handles better than my merida dual 26r.

(i also bought it for J2C)

Around the same budget Wayne but I am once red about going for a our race bike again like the Epic. I may be incorrect but an looking at the following: Spez Camber, SC Tallboy (pricey though), Rocky Mountain Element, Ibis Ripley etc

How does the Pyga fit into this requirement or is it purely a trail bike?

I think the Pyga suits your requirements perfectly, and there are quite a few demos around, so give one of the demos a go, and see for yourself.

Specialized camber comp carbon. Perfect bike, little bit more relaxed tan the spez epic, but not as heavy as the Pyga, and still cheaper and much much much cheaper than the Tallboy. Also very light compared to the rivals and handles like a dream. I rode everything from most bike shops and fell in love with this bike.