Tubless conversion cost / ripoff

Active Monkey

I did my. Last one my self... My brother in law is new to MTB and went to a certain big cycle chain.

He bought a R6000 gt karakoram, they then continued to sell him a R1500 tubules conversion, and when he paid, the added R600 per tire.

I know people need to make a living but this is just daylight robbery?

1500 is fair for tubless if the tires are included...?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's a tubeless conversion ffs? For most rims, if you have tubeless ready rubber, all you need is yellow Stans rim tape, and the fluid. Those rim strips are not necessary for most 'conversions' ....only on old rims. All the info on the notubes web site.

Anyway par for the course for businesses here, exploiting customer ignorance,

I agree that R1500 is flipping steep if that's just for the labour but there are a number of factors here.

You say that it included the tires, is that new tubeless tires or the original ones? what tires are they, I ride mountain king 2.4 for example, they are R700 a tire( give or take depending on the shop etc)

So R600 a tire means that the R 300 difference covered the sealant, valves, rim stip( if they are not tubeless rims) etc.

Not a bad price if you ask me. If however if they performed a "conversion" of the tires the bike came with then yes it's a flipping rip off and should perhaps be questioned with the shop management and go armed with some facts, in a non aggressive way check the price of the shelf stock they used, sealant, valves, etc. and then state to the manager that the stock items cost x but you charged y. And question why, we all need to make money but daylight robbery is just not on, also if the big cycle chain was cajees...... Well that's your answer as they believe everyone that doesn't ask for discount and best price is an idiot and deserves to be ripped off!

Again all depends on the circumstances and prices of what was actually used.

My Sunday 2c anyway.

I agree that R1500 is flipping steep if that's just for the labour but there are a number of factors here.

You say that it included the tires, is that new tubeless tires or the original ones? what tires are they, I ride mountain king 2.4 for example, they are R700 a tire( give or take depending on the shop etc)

So R600 a tire means that the R 300 difference covered the sealant, valves, rim stip( if they are not tubeless rims) etc.

Not a bad price if you ask me. If however if they performed a "conversion" of the tires the bike came with then yes it's a flipping rip off and should perhaps be questioned with the shop management and go armed with some facts, in a non aggressive way check the price of the shelf stock they used, sealant, valves, etc. and then state to the manager that the stock items cost x but you charged y. And question why, we all need to make money but daylight robbery is just not on, also if the big cycle chain was cajees...... Well that's your answer as they believe everyone that doesn't ask for discount and best price is an idiot and deserves to be ripped off!

My Sunday 2c anyway.

I've read it that they charged 1500 plus 600x2 for tyres...

Either way, with ghetto conversions, this is a rip...

My Sunday 2c anyway.

It's quite clear actually as stated by the OP 'they then continued to sell him a R1500 tubules conversion, and when he paid, the added R600 per tire.'

But ja .......

My Sunday 2c anyway.

R1500 is a complete rip off! My LBS does the conversion for R 500 - Stans rimtape, tubeless valves and sealant included.

I only paid. R700 including tires and solution and valves... And Got Continental Race Knig 2.0 :D

I had some old/new Maxxis Crossmark, wire bead, non ust tires that my Lbs told me will not work converting to tubeless that was just hanging in my garage. With my SS build I bought a FRM tubeless conversion kit from Evobikes for R250 and it worked like a charm. Saved myself at least R1200. Like Vetseun said DIY!

Bought My daughter an axis xtra small mtb...

Her first race punctured. After that I knew I had to go tubeless for her.

Did the "ghetto" tubeless for R100 bucks for her (2x20inch tubes) :drool: Used some of my stans. So I guess if you don't have stans, you need to add R280. So for probably 380 Bucks you can have the conversion.

I used the tyres the bike came with, no UST or special tyres. Bike been puncture free since conversion.

One small modification from me compared to GHetto. Rather than cut the tube with the tyre on along the rim, I did it with the tyre off - aligned the cut with the rim line. Then I put the tyre back on. All neat and no jaggies sticking out.