Tubless conversion cost / ripoff

Active Monkey

Fisrtly you quote online stores. .... he obviously went into a bike shop. .... so you can't compare prices.Secondly. .... if I'm not mistaken yhe Karakoram comes with Maxxis Aspen tyres...... and no LBS worth their salt would do a tubeless conversion with those and guarantee that they will stand up to any kind of riding.PS. I did all my conversions myself. And I don't work at a cycle shop. ....... jyst wanted to clear that up.

Not to get too off topic but my point I'm trying to bring across is that if you go to a LBS you are going to pay a premium for local help and labour, it is their business after all so no disputing the fact you can't really compare the prices of online stores vs LBS. I also mentioned that it is only applicable if you go DIY and you have tyres that can do tubeless so if those can't yes you'll have to fork up for some other tyres and R 600 each is probably a going rate though again online stores can be cheaper if shipping isn't going to push it over what you will pay vs getting it local.

All I'm trying to say and to the point of the OP he was quoted R1500.00 for the conversion kit without the tyres which was R 600.00 each so the conversion cost him what R 2700.00. Point in fact is if you rather do it yourself you can or could have done it for much less. Lesson I learned rather quick after my initial purchase of the the bike ;) But fair enough R 1000 for a PROPER conversion kit and not the ghetto crap I was quoted by a bike shop and labour at a LBS I can see but R 1500 just for the conversion excl tyres knowing all the above is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow me thinks.

SO bottom line is if you go DIY you can save a pretty penny or else be prepared fork up B)

Edited by -cK-

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eeish the guy paying R2700 for tyres and tubeless on his R6k bike, he didn't consider if he was doing the right thing paying almost half the value of the bike just on tyres?

I mean any reasonable person should be asking themselves if that's a value for money deal?

But jaaslik experiences like this are why I try stay as far away from the LBS workshop as possible, once your bikes in there they bend you over and just take liberties left right and center. Unless you have a good relationship with your lbs and they stand up guys, ie they charge what is needed. Price gouging happens in all industries , bike shops ain't immune to those kind of practices

Edited by Skylark

As jy Dom is moet jy seker voel.shame as jy nou nog nie weet dat Ghetto baie cheaper is sal jy seker nooit.

It's R400 to R600 for a stans kit, plus R100 to R200 (expensive shop) for labour. If you need new tyres then R500 to R700 per new tyre.

I've done a bit of pricing around last few weeks.

- Take rim and clean it properly

- Rap with Stan's rim tape

- Make hole for and insert tubeless valve

- Pump tyre to see if it inflates

- Insert 1.5 cups Stan's sealant

- Inflate tyre to 3+ bar and ensure it seats correctly (tyre bead does not want to go over rim but hooks where it's supposed to)

- Shake and rotate wheel a million times

- Ride bike and ensure tyre pressure is high the first few rides

Enjoy!

Had a wheel converted to Tubeless at my LBS 3 weeks ago for R200. That excludes tire as i supplied the tire. Thats rim tape, sealant and tubeless valve plus Labor.

Edited by Joffter

- Take rim and clean it properly

- Rap with Stan's rim tape

- Make hole for and insert tubeless valve

- Pump tyre to see if it inflates

- Insert 1.5 cups Stan's sealant

- Inflate tyre to 3+ bar and ensure it seats correctly (tyre bead does not want to go over rim but hooks where it's supposed to)

- Shake and rotate wheel a million times

- Ride bike and ensure tyre pressure is high the first few rides

Enjoy!

Sorry Mate, but I just cant help myself.

Rap

post-16512-0-27631800-1376315123_thumb.jpg

Wrap

post-16512-0-61771800-1376315569_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vetseun

maybe I've missed it but what exactly did they sell you for R1500? A stan's 'kit' an a couple hours labour?

I also don't understand how they just added R600 per tyre? Didn't he chose which tyres he wanted, shop around etc.

I'm just interested in weather he got a proper kit at a premium price or weather they ghettoed something together in the workshop and sold him some dead stock UST tyres?

the lesson here is to get a detailed quote before work is signed off indicating clearly what part of the cost is parts and what part is labour. We do it with all other repair work done by a contracted professional. I am not sure what rubber was on the bike. It sounds entry level so Stans conversion would probably not work well on elcheapo tyres. If the shop replaced these tyres after quoting on the job they should have first asked the customer whether he wanted to proceed asked the customer whether he wanted the unsuitable tyres back. Often these gets binned as they have no second hand value. It can only be called a rip off if they charged more than what was quoted for. I have sympathy for the poor bugger, but I fail to see how people have work done on their bikes without getting a cost estimate first.

Recently I had to get work done on my bike while racing in Canada. Even in the race environment I was told how the cost of my $550 bill for a new Rear Derreullier, brake bleed and new brake pads was made up. They would have gladly supplied the parts for me at about $215, but without a bleed kit or the will to work on my bike at 9pm at night I had little choice. I did know what I was in for though.