2x10 to 3x10 conversion (Giant Anthem)

mataz

I would like to change from a Shimano SLX 2x10 system to a 3x10 on a 2012 Giant Anthem but am not sure what Front Derailleur to order as there are so many different models.

As I understand it the shifters and rear derailleur are not an issue, but I could be wrong on this?

Any advice please?

Agree 100% but it's not my bike, it belongs to my other half who really battles up the steep climbs with the 2x10 ratio (38-24) and misses her granny gear from her old bike... :)

My bad, I thought it was a 42-32-22... :blush:

That's the old ones.

Does she have a 36-11 cluster at the back?

I am a fan of the triple but that's because I have no choice but to spin uphill but I love downhills and I often spin out on my 44 x 11 combo usually at about 65km/hr. However, it is highly unlikely that you'll get many of the fairer sex doing that ( although not impossible as I've found out on Sabie earlier this year). So a 22/34 combo should do the trick if coupled with a 36-11 cluster. I am guessing but the 34 x 11 should give you about 45km/h which is plenty on most MTB rides.

In fact you might get away with a 22/36 combo but shifting could be problematic.

will it not be easier to change the small ring to a 22?

No. You need to adhere to the 1.5 rule. If you run a 22 inner ring on 2x setup you should ideally not go bigger than a 33 or 34 outer ring. Otherwise shifting might be compromised.

With a 38T outer ring on a 2x setup, you should not go smaller than 26 on your inner ring.