Bike insurance

Garfield2010

I have mine insured under all risks of my household policy. Checked, the policy wording and it makes no reference to cover being excluded for races.

I have a theory

If you insure 2 bikes it should be cheaper....

I mean if I have 1 bike it is easy to steal. Have you ever tried to move 2 bikes locked together let alone 3??

Greg29, I would check that fine print with your broker , Ive actually been in a Meeting with my Broker this morning and all 3 of my bikes (TT,Mtn and Road) are also covered under ALL risk (which includes theft (from home,race, off rack or where ever), Hijack, Accidents in training). However on most insurances (pretty much all except bike specific insurance co's) Accidents in an Official race sitiuation (as the Op said) are NOT covered at all. So if you crash in Training you are fine, but if its on day7 of Epic or any other race you are NOT covered for repairs or replacement

Thanks, I'll double check the fine print about being in a race. But I'm pretty sure I'm covered on everything, I specically asked if theft, transport damage and riding damage were all covered and they said yes.

I only have a MTB - maybe that's why it's covered??????

I'm with AON btw.

Edited by Greg29

I'm with I cycle as well. Sean has been great so far.

Covered my bike at 18k,wheels @ 12k, bryton 35 @ 3k, and lights at 1200.

Pay 220 per month and that includes liability of over 1mil and the bikes are covered in pretty much every situation..

Racing, training, in car, out of car, on bike rack, not locked, all is covered.

About to make my first claim for wheels, claim went in today, so I'll give feedback based on the response! Hold thumbs for me guys!

In Bloem some people also cycle on the N1 (nie die verby pad nie let wel - eers as jy verby maselspoort gaan oppad tol hek toe) so some insurers have apparently refrained from paying claims due to "illegal" cycling practices. Wonder what life cover will do in the same circumstances...

PS:- Keep that "eccentric" fellow away from this thread plz

Nothing... They'll pay out.

Just make a 100% sure of that. I got conflicting feedback regarding this. Some brokers say no one covers a road bike in racing events.

Others say the LBS now does insurance.

Just had confirmation. Insured for any race in SA. Require prior notification when racing outside SA.

Ok so I decided to take my bikes off insurance.

3 x bikes (Road/TT/MTB)

Each cost R150 so that's R450 per month and this does not cover them during a race.

If they get stolen at home (or from a house) they are still insured. So I need to take care in terms of when I drive somewhere.

Lets hope nothing happens (as the last 13 years went past uneventfully)

Problem is I never really use more than one bike at a time. Sounds silly but I mean in winter I only use the MTB so I pay a big premium for the other bikes I never use. In summer I only use my TT bike and then maybe ride one or two races with my RB. So why pay the premium for the road bike when I only race with it (and it is not covered in any case).

I am opening a savings account and will deposit R400 per month into this as a bicycle fund account.

If only I started doing this 13 years ago.....

Don't jinx me please.

Look carefully, I think your bike needs to be specified even for theft from home or they will not cover it.... I think, nay I am quite sure.

Edited by Dick

Ive got my car and household insurance with MiWay.

My MTB, insured under All Risk policy and at R23.5k, costs about R120 bucks a month. The other premiums are decent as well.

Bike is covered pretty much everywhere, havent been able to extract reasons why they wont be able to acknowledge a claim.

Look carefully, I think your bike needs to be specified even for theft from home or they will not cover it.... I think, nay I am quite sure.

Used to be that way now most insurers cover everything and anything if its stolen from home and no need to specify the items, apart from jewelry and expensive watches.