Wheelset Choice?

Rudi Pollard

I have decided that I want to upgrade the wheelset on my bike, but I cannot decide which route to go. I would like to hear from guys who has experience with the following choices to help me in my decision:

• ZTR Crest with Hope Pro 2 Evo II hubs
  • American Classic Standard Tubeless

Or should I save a bit more and go for the AC Mtb Race wheelset?

Is there anything else I should consider in this price range?

I weigh in at 77kg's these days.

Had the American Classics on my 26" Scott and now have the ZTR Crest/Hope's on my 29". Both great Wheelsets, ZTR rims are said to be stiffer. Hope rear hub is noisy, although I like this as people in front of you know you are there. There is a current special on ZTR/Hope on CWC for R4999, great deal. Go for it

Ive got the standard Bontrager Mustangs that came with my Trek. They have served me well, but ya this special CWC is running is making my arse itch again.

I've done more than 3500km on the Bontragers without any issues

What type of riding do you do?

Crest rims are rated "XC" and there are other ZTR options:

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Rims-C18.aspx

Hope hubs are great, reason being that spares and tools are easy to get. And they made to be easily serviced. YOu get used to the noise. Small price to pay for superior product.

Spokes are also a consideration.

Ive got the standard Bontrager Mustangs that came with my Trek. They have served me well, but ya this special CWC is running is making my arse itch again.

I've done more than 3500km on the Bontragers without any issues

I have a set of bontrager rythms and they are my bash around wheels. Very strong, but heavy...Also have a set of hope pro II with ZTR crest's and they are solid...but remember those hope's are loud and because they are made for UK conditions they have a lot of seals that sit very snug...hence they will never spin as freely as a dt-swiss or bontrager hub as examples.

Look also at white hubs on ztr crests....very tough, and man oh man, those hubs are beautifull

Another option, and the one I went for is citec's from Eldron

Rouxtjie I have seen your 'rhythm' and it was not a pretty sight ;)

hahahha they my donkey wheels, can flick rocks, bottles and jump the crap out of them....won't do it to any of my other wheels.

"hierdie tannie het a stoot nodig"...

Edited by rouxtjie

Always been a fan of AC Race but recently noticed dents and needed to send front in - yes they're light but not as strong as I thought.

I have a Trek with Bontragers (but the ones before the Mustangs) and managed to bend the front rim - even though they are pretty solid, just not indestructable! Upgraded to Stan's ZTR Crest with Hope hubs and it probably was the best thing I ever did. Those wheels are light and run as smooth as butter (for lack of a better expression). It changed the whole "feel" of the bike - it seems a lot nippier. I also really like the load noise when freewheeling...

I have decided that I want to upgrade the wheelset on my bike, but I cannot decide which route to go. I would like to hear from guys who has experience with the following choices to help me in my decision:

• ZTR Crest with Hope Pro 2 Evo II hubs
  • American Classic Standard Tubeless

Or should I save a bit more and go for the AC Mtb Race wheelset?

Is there anything else I should consider in this price range?

I weigh in at 77kg's these days.

If you go American Classic Race.... start learning to panel beat now.

Lovely rims but tinfoil is tougher

If you go American Classic Race.... start learning to panel beat now.

Lovely rims but tinfoil is tougher

haha, ya I've heard they are very soft. Think I will give them a skip then

I was always a fan of AC, but recently switched to a set of Ritchey Vantage II Aluminium. Not as featherweight as the ACs but apart from that they are pretty impressive. Best part for me was I bought a set of Maxxis Crossmark, put on the Tubeless Rim tape and valves (included in the price!) and pumped the things up with a hand pump. Easiest tubless conversion I have ever done.

Get a set built. Just got Cycle Centre to build me ZTR Crests on 2014 Novatec Hubs, Sapim spokes and brass nipples for R5300, weight 1590grms (Go read up a bit on Novatec Hubs - Dik Value for money)