MotoGP

SeaBee

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the new rumour ....

Talks between Vinales and Yamaha have failed to come to fruition ....

Dani to Yamaha as VR46's new team mate ??????

I really don't see the sense in Pedrosa for a year at Yamaha when they can just move Pol up. They could see it as a test with possibly keeping him there to replace Rossi and then have Rins as the younger racer. Not sure about Pol's abilities to develop a bike though. Moving Pedrosa you will have the off chance that he doesn't gel with the bike or worse yet he does and actually wins a title!!!! Plus Honda are behind the ball at the moment so doubt he can bring much insider info with him.

Vinales may still decide that money is not as important s a winning bike, my money is still on him moving to Yamaha. Part of me hopes he stays at Suzuki and helps them to some wins.

No more 24th bike on the grid too I see. So one less seat in the musical chairs game, getting interesting........

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Read an article on MotoMatters about this earlier.

Seems that Pedrosa would just act as a stop-gap, and that Crutchlow could perform the same role for HRC while the teams are trying to suss out means to get young talent onto their bikes for 2017.

Rins doesn't want to go to a satellite team, and the factories don't want an unproven racer. There's almost no chance that MM93 management would allow Vinales or Rins into the Repsol squad, and Crutches has a similar build and (adapted) style to Marquez.

Dani could possibly go very well on the Yamaha and cause an upset, even though Rossi doesn't seem too phased by having him as a team mate, just like Lorenzo 2008 prior to "The Wall" going up. 

I really don't know what's gonna happen to Pol. In my mind he doesn't deserve a Factory Yamaha ride, even though he's been pretty good this year so far. And that's the whole problem that Jorge created, "so far". Usually the silly season kicks off after Mugello, a third into the season, now it's kicked off after three races and no-one is quite sure of the potential that exists in the field.

It's gonna be interesting, I like it!

Read an article on MotoMatters about this earlier.

Seems that Pedrosa would just act as a stop-gap, and that Crutchlow could perform the same role for HRC while the teams are trying to suss out means to get young talent onto their bikes for 2017.

Rins doesn't want to go to a satellite team, and the factories don't want an unproven racer. There's almost no chance that MM93 management would allow Vinales or Rins into the Repsol squad, and Crutches has a similar build and (adapted) style to Marquez.

Dani could possibly go very well on the Yamaha and cause an upset, even though Rossi doesn't seem too phased by having him as a team mate, just like Lorenzo 2008 prior to "The Wall" going up.

I really don't know what's gonna happen to Pol. In my mind he doesn't deserve a Factory Yamaha ride, even though he's been pretty good this year so far. And that's the whole problem that Jorge created, "so far". Usually the silly season kicks off after Mugello, a third into the season, now it's kicked off after three races and no-one is quite sure of the potential that exists in the field.

It's gonna be interesting, I like it!

Does make you wonder about riders from outside, ala Spies.

Some very good riders in Wsbk, Rea, van der Mark, etc.

Would love to see some new blood other than from Moto2.

I see Crutches, Miller, Pol, all undeserving. What has Cal done to deserve an Hrc factory ride? Pol at least gets points by finishing races.

Meanwhile I rate Bautista and Bradl above both Cal and Pol.

There's still 1 of the Andreas also looking for a ride to consider........

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

The issue with the WSBK crop at the top of the field is their age. Rea and Chaz are 29, Sykes is 31. Lowes and van der Mark are still young, but still haven't made the step. 

I've been punting Rea for an M1 ride for years, and he really didn't do all that bad subbing for Casey in 2012. 

Rossi made a comment a while back which actually piqued my interest, in that he said the new Michelin front behaves a lot like the Pirelli rubber in WSBK, which could mean that someone coming from that side could get up to speed much quicker.

Part of that article also mentioned that the strength of the Moto2 field isn't that good any more, and we've seen it with Tito now. He was very very very strong in Moto2, but the competition and skill required at the top level is a completely different story. Marquez was an anomoly and got on the Honda at the right time. Bradl also didn't set the world on fire, Elias tried and tried again. 

The real talent lies in Moto3, but that's an even bigger gamble than picking up a Moto2 rider.

As for the Andreas, it appears the younger is gunning for a Suzuki ride actually. Bautista has a lot of natural talent but has never ended up on a good ride unfortunately. He had some good outings on the old Suzuki, but he just crashed way too much. I'm sure we'll see Aprilia making good strides over the next couple of months, but it's gonna be hard competing with the top-3 factories.

As for Cal, he doesn't deserve a factory ride, but he's zero threat to Marquez while Honda figures out their long term plans. However, Iannone could also be in the running for the seat.

Factory Yamaha want a popular Spaniard on their bike with Movistar footing the bill, that much is obvious. If it's not Vinales, Rins is gonna need to convince Lin Jarvis through some solid Moto2 results that he's better than a Tech 3 factory backed ride.

The issue with the WSBK crop at the top of the field is their age. Rea and Chaz are 29, Sykes is 31. Lowes and van der Mark are still young, but still haven't made the step. 

I've been punting Rea for an M1 ride for years, and he really didn't do all that bad subbing for Casey in 2012. 

Rossi made a comment a while back which actually piqued my interest, in that he said the new Michelin front behaves a lot like the Pirelli rubber in WSBK, which could mean that someone coming from that side could get up to speed much quicker.

Part of that article also mentioned that the strength of the Moto2 field isn't that good any more, and we've seen it with Tito now. He was very very very strong in Moto2, but the competition and skill required at the top level is a completely different story. Marquez was an anomoly and got on the Honda at the right time. Bradl also didn't set the world on fire, Elias tried and tried again. 

The real talent lies in Moto3, but that's an even bigger gamble than picking up a Moto2 rider.

As for the Andreas, it appears the younger is gunning for a Suzuki ride actually. Bautista has a lot of natural talent but has never ended up on a good ride unfortunately. He had some good outings on the old Suzuki, but he just crashed way too much. I'm sure we'll see Aprilia making good strides over the next couple of months, but it's gonna be hard competing with the top-3 factories.

As for Cal, he doesn't deserve a factory ride, but he's zero threat to Marquez while Honda figures out their long term plans. However, Iannone could also be in the running for the seat.

Factory Yamaha want a popular Spaniard on their bike with Movistar footing the bill, that much is obvious. If it's not Vinales, Rins is gonna need to convince Lin Jarvis through some solid Moto2 results that he's better than a Tech 3 factory backed ride.

do you think binder will step up into motogp if he wins? or  just stay in moto2

I think the problem is that previously 125cc, 250cc and 500cc was conducive to move up through the ranks.

I get the impression that Moto2 doesnt teach you the new skills that you need in MotoGP?

Edited by Patchelicious

I think there will be a lot of pressure on him to take a MotoGP ride if he gets one, however bad (relatively speaking) it may be. All the good seats are being filled at the moment and the last thing I'd (personally) want is for him to get a MotoGP ride just to get a MotoGP ride and then stagnate. He's an incredible talent and the world is slowly starting to take notice.

I think the problem is that previously 125cc, 250cc and 500cc was conducive to move up through the ranks.

I get the impression that Moto2 doesnt teach you the new skills that you need in MotoGP?

I think the big difference comes in with how you need to ride a Moto2 bike. In the two-stroke era it was all about having ridiculous corner speed (Lorenzo in 250's was devastating in the way he rode around the outside of people and he's carried that forward into MotoGP). Moto2's style demands that you brake after you've seen death, slide both wheels and pray that somewhere near the apex of the corner the Dunlop rubber finds grip again. The most famous (for me) illustration of that was Marquez's fight through the field at Motegi after he started the race in neutral. You'll see how the bike seems like it's gonna slide wide and completely miss the apex, and then all of a sudden it just squares off the corner. 

Edit: Oh, I wasn't finished.

With the Bridgestones it wasn't the same, but that's where MM93 had the advantage, he was used to braking insanely late, but now he had the benefit of a grippy front. Now, with the Michelin rubber it's kind of the same as it used to be in Moto2 actually, and that's why the new school riders (Rins, Folger, Zarco) might adapt quicker. However, that doesn't explain Tito's issue. Must be mental, I dunno.

Edited by bertusras

Well someone is going to have to ride the KTM RC16 next year - maybe if he wins the title for KTM he might be in the mix