MotoGP

SeaBee

Whilst I agree that it's Iannone's error that led to the crash - I do not understand why everybody is up in arms about it. In my mind what Pedrosa did to Dovi a couple of races ago was far worse and more dangerous. Nobody batted an eye, yet now everybody is crying for bans for Iannone? Are we really going to be moving into F1 crybaby territory now where every overtaking that does not go according to plan must be penalised?

And no, that crash is in no way resembling anything close and cannot be compared to what happened on the Luis Salom incident. 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I agree that it's Iannone's error that led to the crash - I do not understand why everybody is up in arms about it. In my mind what Pedrosa did to Dovi a couple of races ago was far worse and more dangerous. Nobody batted an eye, yet now everybody is crying for bans for Iannone? Are we really going to be moving into F1 crybaby territory now where every overtaking that does not go according to plan must be penalised?

And no, that crash is in no way resembling anything close and cannot be compared to what happened on the Luis Salom incident. 

Repeat offender... Not the same thing! If Pedrosa had tagged JL this weekend everyone would be saying the same thing about him, as now it would be his second incident of the year too!

When AI tagged Dovi at the opener did he get this much flak? Nope, everyone saw it for what it was, an error in judgement. If you run into the back of someone you are at fault. It's the onus of the chap overtaking to make it safe in every sport the world over. AI clearly has not learned much from the experience and if he's intent on running laps hitting his braking marks in some sort of time trial than he should not be racing, as racing demands a different approach where you factor in the variables of changing up your lines and adjusting your speed through the same sections in order to set up a competing racer for the overtake.

Is it just me that saw that JL99 slowed down dramatically mid corner, and even moved out slightly wider from his "normal" line through that corner? In other words, he did not go through the corner on the same line and speed as previously.

Yes, AI did go in too hot, but IF JL99 followed his normal line and speed through there, the incident would not have happened, and if they did touch, it would not have had the same dramatic result.

Edited by Wannabe

Its his unapologetic nature I reckon. Yes JL was slow and off his line, as confirmed by Pol. No Iannone wasn't faster than normal, but he still hit him. That's the fact.

Pedrosa was similar, and maybe worse, but the guy is a gentleman. that's the difference........

Is it just me that saw that JL99 slowed down dramatically mid corner, and even moved out slightly wider from his "normal" line through that corner? In other words, he did not go through the corner on the same line and speed as previously.

Yes, AI did go in too hot, but IF JL99 followed his normal line and speed through there, the incident would not have happened, and if they did touch, it would not have had the same dramatic result.

JL is racing and can choose whatever line and speed he likes. AI following him, needs to make a clear pass or set him up at his next opportunity. You can't spear into the guy and say, "hey, I did not expect you to be going slower then!"

The only thing JL can't do is take AI's line in both left and right directions in the run up towards the corner.

JL is racing and can choose whatever line and speed he likes. AI following him, needs to make a clear pass or set him up at his next opportunity. You can't spear into the guy and say, "hey, I did not expect you to be going slower then!"

The only thing JL can't do is take AI's line in both left and right directions in the run up towards the corner.

Couldn't agree more. You race what's in front of you  - not what you expect based on the previous lap.

He can be glad the guys these days are so soft and well behaved, if it was Doohan or Schwantz who got taken out like that he would have had 2 blue eyes under that helmet next race :whistling:

Agree, but the sudden change of pace and line did catch him out.

Not saying AI is blameless, but you also can't put all the blame at his door.

I think another difference is, is that Dovi isnt as big a wet blanket.

JL moans and calls for sanctions, he makes a fuss, where others just get on with it.

Edit: We need to remember, that when you are racing bikes at 340kmh, mistakes will happen. I dont think that AI crashed on purpose, he made a racing mistake that was compounded by JL being slower than normal.

Edited by Patchelicious

BS

http://i.imgur.com/Z76BfaP.jpg

Iannone was never going to make the corner. Look at where the rubber lines are, Lorenzo is on those lines. Meanwhile, Iannone's rear wheel is a foot in the air. 

Iannone should have gone right when he realised he was closing that quickly, instead he decided to use Lorenzo as a berm in the hope that he'll make the turn.

If I was leading the championship and then lost a big chunk of points because of an overambitious move by someone else (a repeat offender none the less) I'd also throw my toys around. Iannone could have waited 7 turns and blasted past Jorge on the straight, but noooooooooo, he had to divebomb him. It's stupid.

Edited by bertusras

BS

Iannone was never going to make the corner. Look at where the rubber lines are, Lorenzo is on those lines. Meanwhile, Iannone's rear wheel is a foot in the air. 

Iannone should have gone right when he realised he was closing that quickly, instead he decided to use Lorenzo as a berm in the hope that he'll make the turn.

If I was leading the championship and then lost a big chunk of points because of an overambitious move by someone else (a repeat offender none the less) I'd also throw my toys around. Iannone could have waited 7 turns and blasted past Jorge on the straight, but noooooooooo, he had to divebomb him. It's stupid.

I am pretty sure he would have if he could have.

BS

Look at the footage from the back or side, and you'll see he basically had nowhere to go, as JL was slowing down and drifting to the outside. All AI could do was to brake as hard he could, and hoped he missed JL

But, and I say it again, AI was going in way too hot this time round. Had he done the same the previous round lap, this incident would probably not have happened.

But it did, and now we are arguing about it.  :whistling:

Edited by Wannabe

If it wasn't for all those wings, maybe he could have flown over JL, but those damn wings kept the front wheel on the ground too much.

Those wings.... and roadies moan about disks!!!

If it wasn't for all those wings, maybe he could have flown over JL, but those damn wings kept the front wheel on the ground too much.

Those wings.... and roadies moan about disks!!!

Even my wife (who knows nothing about bikes and never watches racing) asked me about it as I was loudly muttering to myself as the incident was replayed and disected.

She heard me complaining and thought Rossi was involved (she at least knows he's my favorite) and she came to look, saw those wings and asked wtf they were and why it was on the bikes.