MotoGP

SeaBee

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So let me jump in here and ask for opinions.

A friend, not a Marquez fan, says to me that the MotoGP is becoming as boring as F1.

I obviously differ as you watch F1 these days to see which Merc has won and by how far, along with how Ferrari could possibly fluff another strategy call.....

Whereas MotoGP, there are still at least 4 manufacturers able to win and Marc's dominance is purely talent as he is not on the best bike on the grid at every race.

Opinions and comments to the usual address.........

That MotoE is a joke, just btw

A friend, not a Marquez fan, says to me that the MotoGP is becoming as boring as F1.

I obviously differ as you watch F1 these days to see which Merc has won and by how far, along with how Ferrari could possibly fluff another strategy call.....

Whereas MotoGP, there are still at least 4 manufacturers able to win and Marc's dominance is purely talent as he is not on the best bike on the grid at every race.

I reckon its the overtaking'ness of bikes that keeps it so interesting. Also, its literally DNF or take the position, there's no middle ground. 1 mistake and you're upside-down. Cars you can bump a lot more bits till it becomes terminal.

It's also difficult to really pull a gap as large as Ham often does. He starts, the may be some shoving in the first corner, but then he pulls out 30 secs and thats the race, finished and klaar. Even though Marc is from a different planet it rarely gets to that point. He can hold the gap but it never really seems so far out of reach that a kamikaze second place person towing a group can't catch him and cause some strife.

It is becoming more boring, not as boring as F1, but definitely more boring than it was before.

Used to be so, yes. But Honda have drastically improved the bike over the last few years, so now you can't just say it's all about his skills anymore. It still is, but now he has a bike that can back him up. 

Used to be so, yes. But Honda have drastically improved the bike over the last few years, so now you can't just say it's all about his skills anymore. It still is, but now he has a bike that can back him up. 

At some tracks yes, I agree. But on many tracks where he has done well, the preferred bike has not always been the Honda yet he has prevailed.

Remember also that those drastic improvements have only really been able to be utilized by Marc, Cal has said this is the hardest Honda to ride thus far although he rode well yesterday.

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Once again this weekend I watched the first quarter of the race then it became..... less interesting.

Yes there was some good racing amongst the rest of the field but for spectators that’s like kissing your cousin

At some tracks yes, I agree. But on many tracks where he has done well, the preferred bike has not always been the Honda yet he has prevailed.

Remember also that those drastic improvements have only really been able to be utilized by Marc, Cal has said this is the hardest Honda to ride thus far although he rode well yesterday.

Oh, agreed. The improvements suit him perfectly, and I doubt Cal would be able to ride Marc's Honda as quickly as he's able to ride his, due to the differences in setup and riding style. 

Remember though that now it's him and the bike gelling almost perfectly. Whereas before (as through his own admission) he had to be pinpoint accurate and super aggressive on the braking in order to gain time. Now he can gain time all over instead of just one area. 

Oh, agreed. The improvements suit him perfectly, and I doubt Cal would be able to ride Marc's Honda as quickly as he's able to ride his, due to the differences in setup and riding style. 

Remember though that now it's him and the bike gelling almost perfectly. Whereas before (as through his own admission) he had to be pinpoint accurate and super aggressive on the braking in order to gain time. Now he can gain time all over instead of just one area. 

I do think the racing should be closer, Rins needs to keep it rubber side down and he would be a massive title contender. That Suzuki has really improved a lot!!!

Ducati seems to have some in-house issues, their performance is there. I almost hope the rumours of Lorenzo going back there are true.

Yamaha made the same mistake Honda did a few years ago. They selected the wrong engine from their testing and can't change it now, otherwise Vinales and Quartararo are riding the wheels off of that M1. Would have been interesting had Maverick not been taken out in those 3 races.........

Aprilia and KTM are improving. I reckon next year and 2021 are going to be good. More so if Binder does move up along with Alex Marquez......

Oh really?

Marc Marquez recorded a huge 66-degree lean angle on his way to the fastest lap time during Friday practice for the German MotoGP at Sachsenring.

But the reigning world champion would be pleased to use a far less spectacular corning style, explaining that the massive banking is simply a consequence of how difficult the latest RCV is to turn.

"If you check a little bit this year, we are using a lot of banking, too much. And the reason why we are using so much banking is because the bike is not turning," said Marquez, seeking his tenth Sachsenring victory in a row and fastest on Friday.

"So then I use all this banking not because it's my riding style, not because I like it, but because I need to. We are trying to find more turning by [modifying] the chassis."

@bertusras - where did what I say automatically mean he's now kaaaak? Please, man. I respect the rider incredibly. The vehicle he's now riding can now back his skills up better than it could, previously. Sheesh. It's not always binary. And this tweet shows how they're trying things to get it (the frame) to do things better. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

@bertusras - where did what I say automatically mean he's now kaaaak? Please, man. I respect the rider incredibly. The vehicle he's now riding can now back his skills up better than it could, previously. Sheesh. It's not always binary. And this tweet shows how they're trying things to get it (the frame) to do things better. 

I am sure you misunderstood Bertus, he was pointing out that it isn't all moonshine and roses on the Honda and Marc still has to go outside of his comfort zone to do what he does, with all the risks that go with it.

Read some of Cal's interviews, he says at 66deg he is picking gravel out his teeth, that's not the bike. That's the rider........