The power of a hub?

Journosergio

You said it, not me....get your flamesuit on brother.

I have a set, like I mentioned before....they are really fit and forget hubs. Very easy to maintain, if you need to. I am still convinced they don't spin as freely as others because of the weather they were designed for. I don't have any numbers to backup these claims though so pure speculation.

I am waiting for my wheelset from CWC with Hope hubs. Some days I have illusions, pretend I'm Sauser for a bit and browse super light hubs and chinese carbon rims on the interweb but then I remember I can't even finish the Argus in 3 hours and buy the fit and forget option instead. But I still keep browsing ...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am waiting for my wheelset from CWC with Hope hubs. Some days I have illusions, pretend I'm Sauser for a bit and browse super light hubs and chinese carbon rims on the interweb but then I remember I can't even finish the Argus in 3 hours and buy the fit and forget option instead. But I still keep browsing ...

same here....that is one sweet deal they were running btw.

Would love a set of tune prince and princess with enve carbon rims and dt-ballhair spokes, but I don't have the money and can't justify their performance / weight and pricepoint

Wow, never expected such a large turnout of replies. Thanks guys.

Okay so what I gather is that they are those hubs that make the great clicking sound and are made by detail-conscious poms who want a fire-and-forget solution for the wheelset :)

And in many ways its an "Audi or BMW" sort of preference, whereby some other hubs are just as good, otherwise better or worse in some ways or another?

Just FYI, I'm getting the Stans ZTR Flow EX rims which I've heard are pretty much bomb-proof - something I need with my level of trail aggression lol...

If my Shimano hubs fail their job, Hope might step up, but I'll do a bit of research hmm :clap:

Wow, never expected such a large turnout of replies. Thanks guys.

Okay so what I gather is that they are those hubs that make the great clicking sound and are made by detail-conscious poms who want a fire-and-forget solution for the wheelset :)

And in many ways its an "Audi or BMW" sort of preference, whereby some other hubs are just as good, otherwise better or worse in some ways or another?

Just FYI, I'm getting the Stans ZTR Flow EX rims which I've heard are pretty much bomb-proof - something I need with my level of trail aggression lol...

If my Shimano hubs fail their job, Hope might step up, but I'll do a bit of research hmm :clap:

No need, the hope's are a solid choice, you will do well buying them.

Guest Latent Blue

I was so ready for some excitement as I mistakenly read:

"the power of THE Hub"...

*turns away, dissapointed at the informative nature of this thread*

I think the thing is to keep them clean and serviced and your wheels trued and your bearings up to standard. I have a super old set of Hope hubs, qr front and ss specific rear and they run perfectly. Changed out pawls and seals, changed some bearings and re-laced them various times and they are STILL spinning like ballerinas... Like most non cheap and nasty bike components, clean, maintained and well looked after and they in turn will look after you....

I think the thing is to keep them clean and serviced and your wheels trued and your bearings up to standard. I have a super old set of Hope hubs, qr front and ss specific rear and they run perfectly. Changed out pawls and seals, changed some bearings and re-laced them various times and they are STILL spinning like ballerinas... Like most non cheap and nasty bike components, clean, maintained and well looked after and they in turn will look after you....

Even with brand new bearings, pawls and grease they will never come close to my bontrager, DT 240 or Citec hubs....I know cause I have them all. But then they really have a well engineered sealing system.

Edited by rouxtjie

I think a lot of people riding Hope, rides then for the sound it makes. It makes people notice you and sometimes they get nervous and get out of your way.

Love my Hope's. Not only

Hope is a UK product obviously designed for UK weather which as you know is kuk...wet...muddy. Their seals components are made with that in mind. So when you use them in sunny SA, they loving life and you almost never have to open them up to replace bearings.

Ok but as you know, your strength is also your weakness....they don't spin as freely as other hubs...DT-Swiss 240's as an example will spin forever and a day. So and I might be wrong here, I am pretty sure because of the number of seals and seal designs they impart some sort of drag on the hubs....not much, but enough for me to be noticeable.

I was up to my axles in mud at N Farm this weekend, so dont lie to yourself about not needing those seals locally.

Love my Hope's. Not only

I was up to my axles in mud at N Farm this weekend, so dont lie to yourself about not needing those seals locally.

hahahhaha brotherman where the fook were you riding....you know the ride along the jukskei, not in it....but seriously, where did all the mud come from, northern's is mostly dry