Joggers vs Cyclists!!!

Guest Latent Blue

A while ago I was riding home from Tokai along a piece of road between westlake golf course and stone villa's towards Boyes drive, for those of you that don't know there is shock horror a cycle lane on the side of the road there is just enough room for you and a car there is a lovely wide pavement on the other side for pedestrians. For some reason no one uses it and the pedestrians and runners all seem to use the cycle track... so anyway heading towards Boyes drive on this little stretch you can get up to a nice speed 45-50 on a MTB so I'm going flat out and there is a pedestrian walking in the road and look behind me a car ..I can see how this is going to turn out so I throw out all my anchors and skid for meters and stop just short of hitting the imbecile the car goes whizzing past and I need to replace my tyre .... pfft I think I might get a foghorn like this that'll teach em ...

https://www.google.co.za/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=709&q=handheld+fog+horn&oq=hand+held+fog&gs_l=img.1.2.0j0i10i24l2j0i24.1658.6012.0.8512.13.13.0.0.0.0.313.2004.6j1j5j1.13.0....0...1ac.1.25.img..5.8.640.noxN0ZphKx8#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=7FS9lPAQIhqCyM%3A%3BWJ265hQlaCCffM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fecx.images-amazon.com%252Fimages%252FI%252F31UvhQjFa6L.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fprotective-frames-uk.blogspot.com%252F2011%252F12%252Fhand-held-gas-air-horn.html%3B500%3B334

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A while ago I was riding home from Tokai along a piece of road between westlake golf course and stone villa's towards Boyes drive, for those of you that don't know there is shock horror a cycle lane on the side of the road there is just enough room for you and a car there is a lovely wide pavement on the other side for pedestrians. For some reason no one uses it and the pedestrians and runners all seem to use the cycle track... so anyway heading towards Boyes drive on this little stretch you can get up to a nice speed 45-50 on a MTB so I'm going flat out and there is a pedestrian walking in the road and look behind me a car ..I can see how this is going to turn out so I throw out all my anchors and skid for meters and stop just short of hitting the imbecile the car goes whizzing past and I need to replace my tyre .... pfft I think I might get a foghorn like this that'll teach em ...

https://www.google.c...rn.html;500;334

Try getting a bell.It works

Try getting a bell.It works

I did try shouting ..nope I think he was deaf like me in which case only a foghorn would suffice ..

What's the difference between a cyclist overtaking a cyclist and a cyclist overtaking a runner......zip

Almost always easier and more practical for a runner to run on the pavement than a cyclist to ride on the pavement.

Almost always easier and more practical for a runner to run on the pavement than a cyclist to ride on the pavement.

unless you can bunny hop with flats................

I did try shouting ..nope I think he was deaf like me in which case only a foghorn would suffice ..

My mate did Trans Rockies I think it was or BC race and they issued the riders with special mini horns to chase off the bears

What will you do when you are riding along and you see a runner coming towards you?Wait until the last moment to see if he is going to jump out the way and swerve into the road and get taken out?

No you will check over your shoulder and time your pass as usual.Its a no brainer

BTW it is accepted that runners face the traffic

Yes and the reason for this is to enable the jogger to get out of the way of oncoming traffic as required - not to play chicken with it...

Edited by dracs

Roadies and joggers alike seem to share one fundamental rule: leave common sense at home when going out training.

I live near a sports club so unfortunately often encounter joggers, like their cycling brethren, 3-4 abreast. I almost had a run-in with one gang recently as there were cars approaching for that magical "all lined up at once" effect where the cars, joggers and myself would all pass in the same moment. I rang my bell and got sworn at. Maybe next time if I approach them with my left arm out, clothesline style, they'll move over.

In fairness, instead of swerving he should have stopped and passed when its safe. Just like cars behind cyclists should wait until its safe to pass and drive slowly at a safe distance behind the riders before doing so. Just like joggers should be on the sidewalk as a consideration, so should cyclists not just swerve into traffic, so should cars not just swerve into opposite lanes..

Its a thing called patience and manners which is evidently lacking. Common sense and respect which seems to be away on holiday 99% of the time.

There are good drivers and bad drivers, good cyclists and bad cyclists, good joggers and bad joggers etc... BUT its no excuse to turn (obviously) good people like yourselves into bad people like them....

Now imagine you were in the oncoming lane and a fortuner swung out in front of you while you were having a sip of your Vida coffee?