bike size

'hamster

Hey hubbers...

I've been commuting since May this year... starting off with a mountain bike and now recently bought myself a road bike... since I travel +/- 30km one way i thought a lighter/faster bike will be a bit better.

I'm 1.63m tall and my MTB was 46cm... that was nice and small for me.

I've read that bike size is important and looked at this before I got myself a road bike:

https://www.ebicycles.com/custom/content_files/ebicycles-bicycle-sizing-chart-road-bikes.pdf

Which actually indicates that a 52cm road bike should suit me perfectly.

I then got myself a 50cm bike.... but it seems to be a bit too big for me. The seat post (mike burrows) is 2 shaped and can't go as far as a normal one and that prevents me from setting it perfectly. My legs are straight when I reach the pedals instead of a bit of an angle. I can ride like this but I know if I can get a small angle at least it should be more comfortable. Not sure if straight leg is okay?

Do you guys suggest I get a smaller bike or get another seat post? or any other ideas?

Thanks

Eustace

Straight leg is not ok, I'm comfortable at about a 20 degree angle (when the crank is in line with the seat post- not at the lowest point in its revolution). You will develop knee problems if you don't find a way to drop it. Can't you have the seat post cut to fit lower in the frame?

52cm souns too big for you. I am 1.75 and always rode a 51. Also remember, frame size more a measurement of your inner leg than your height. Proportion of leg to total length differs from person to person.

But from your post not sure if it's just the seat post that's an issue.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I think I should go 2cm smaller and probably looking to swop my bike for a smaller road bike of similar value.

If anyone of you know someone that wants slightly bigger bike...

GIANT TCR 2 road bike,

* Excellent condition.

* size Medium (50cm),

* Full Shimano 105 all round

* 9 Gears

* Carbon Fork and Carbon Seat Post

* Computer/Clock

* Recently Serviced

* Rolf Vector Rims

* Weighs about 7.7kg

Thanks

Hey hubbers...

I've been commuting since May this year... starting off with a mountain bike and now recently bought myself a road bike... since I travel +/- 30km one way i thought a lighter/faster bike will be a bit better.

I'm 1.63m tall and my MTB was 46cm... that was nice and small for me.

I've read that bike size is important and looked at this before I got myself a road bike:

https://www.ebicycles.com/custom/content_files/ebicycles-bicycle-sizing-chart-road-bikes.pdf

Which actually indicates that a 52cm road bike should suit me perfectly.

I then got myself a 50cm bike.... but it seems to be a bit too big for me. The seat post (mike burrows) is 2 shaped and can't go as far as a normal one and that prevents me from setting it perfectly. My legs are straight when I reach the pedals instead of a bit of an angle. I can ride like this but I know if I can get a small angle at least it should be more comfortable. Not sure if straight leg is okay?

Do you guys suggest I get a smaller bike or get another seat post? or any other ideas?

Thanks

Eustace

Hi.

Giants size 50 is a medium and you being 1.63m tall, is never going to fit you no matter what you do.

I am 1.73m and ride a "50cm" Giant TCR so this size is unlikely to fit you. The top tube on the TCR "50cm" is 55.5 cm and unless you have gigantic arms, will mean you wont reach the handlebars.

Probably best you get a smaller bike.

Also note, that different manufacturers measure their frame sizes differently, so one manufacturers "50" may be equivalent to anothers "54cm"

Edited by funjunkie

Correct Funjunkie

Giant has a compact geometry and the size is measured from center of BB to center of top tube.

That's where this mistake was made, always buy a bike based on top tube length.

You can easily adjust saddle height but you can not adjust top tube length.

Edited by Tankman

You guys are right... thanks again for all your input!

Now to start over again and look for a bike!!

I'm 1.61m and ride a 48cm road bike. My first one was also 50cm and even though I have set it up as close as possible to my 48cm it is just not the same or as comfortable.

The best route is to pay your local "reputable" bike shop a visit, let the staff (of the bike shops) do the measurement for you and see what bikes they've offered...

I got my bike sizing based on if you're this tall get this size. It doesn't work. I agree, rather go to the pros and get them to work it out for you. it's not worth the neck and shoulder pain - and for some odd reason I manage to bang my knees as well.