SLX or Deore

mikethebike234

It's not something you will replace regularly so I would suggest spend a couple of bucks extra en get the slx

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could be undecided on two items costing 45% budget difference between the two ? :eek:

Go for the gold coloured ones, they look nicer , and at only 92 grams penalty,

don't eat a packet of slap chips before you ride. :whistling:

Deore is cheaper, a bit heavier and will probably last a fair bit longer. Shifts just as well as SLX.

It comes down to 3 things: weight, cost, longevity. Can't have all 3.....

SLX, no way I am adding 100g to the rear wheel that will save you R250 odd rand over a year or more.

SLX, no way I am adding 100g to the rear wheel that will save you R250 odd rand over a year or more.

Erm, care to explain? The cassette is on the centrepoint of the wheel, not the extreme outer edge so it has no effect on rotational mass. Well, close to zero effect, anyway. It won't wear your tires any sooner, and it won't degrade your shifting capabilities. Deore cassettes are the best ito longevity and strength, not to mention price. And 100g is neither here nor there ito weight.

I eventually went with Deore seems to be the best bet from a longevity aspect I could care 2 hoots for 90 grams I'm hardly the race snake... unfortunately if you've seen my most recent thread I have another erm little problem..... courtesy of Faerie Garden.... :( :(

I eventually went with Deore seems to be the best bet from a longevity aspect I could care 2 hoots for 90 grams I'm hardly the race snake... unfortunately if you've seen my most recent thread I have another erm little problem..... courtesy of Faerie Garden.... :( :(

LOL. Faeire Farden is a garden for Fairies. And trolls. Bits can be quite technical if you're not looking out for yourself!

LOL. Faeire Farden is a garden for Fairies. And trolls. Bits can be quite technical if you're not looking out for yourself!

I was trying to break the land speed record he he ... and then kabam I see the sky and I'm all tangled up in my bike ... man I laughed until this morning when I realised my poor bike is not amused and I await with bated breath to hear from the mech.......I'm not laughing now ..I still don't what I did ..I was on that straight section after the concrete bridge drop off ..perfectly straight nothing technical man I feel like a twit.......I think I may have hit a small stump with my pedal or something equally stupid...arghh

Erm, care to explain? The cassette is on the centrepoint of the wheel, not the extreme outer edge so it has no effect on rotational mass. Well, close to zero effect, anyway. It won't wear your tires any sooner, and it won't degrade your shifting capabilities. Deore cassettes are the best ito longevity and strength, not to mention price. And 100g is neither here nor there ito weight.

I will pay R600 for a kcnc seatpost to save 80grams. Every bit helps :P.

I will pay R600 for a kcnc seatpost to save 80grams. Every bit helps :P.

You would buy a kcnc seatpost to go in your NINER? eish..... :ph34r:

Weight is a funny thing. As cycling and golf become 1 grams are becoming yards... Really average golfers used to buy new clubs because it gave them an extra 10 yards (as advertised!) when really all they needed to do was translate those ZAR spent into hours of practice and improve their accuracy with their old clubs..

Grams are the same. Average cyclists (who are probably one in the same as above mentioned golfers) now buy lighter parts to save those grams (turn a 12kg bike into a 10.5kg bike.. wow!) as a substitute for time in the saddle.

Hard work cannot be substituted. But then without the consumer driven market and the severely unbalanced want/need eqation, where would all the shops be?!

Good choice on the cassette Mike. It will last you ages and give you just as big a smile during/post ride as the slx or xtr, which really is the point of riding bikes.... Or knitting, or playing golf. Anything you choose to do and dont get paid to should really just be FUN!

You would buy a kcnc seatpost to go in your NINER? eish..... :ph34r:

Weight is a funny thing. As cycling and golf become 1 grams are becoming yards... Really average golfers used to buy new clubs because it gave them an extra 10 yards (as advertised!) when really all they needed to do was translate those ZAR spent into hours of practice and improve their accuracy with their old clubs..

Grams are the same. Average cyclists (who are probably one in the same as above mentioned golfers) now buy lighter parts to save those grams (turn a 12kg bike into a 10.5kg bike.. wow!) as a substitute for time in the saddle.

Hard work cannot be substituted. But then without the consumer driven market and the severely unbalanced want/need eqation, where would all the shops be?!

Good choice on the cassette Mike. It will last you ages and give you just as big a smile during/post ride as the slx or xtr, which really is the point of riding bikes.... Or knitting, or playing golf. Anything you choose to do and dont get paid to should really just be FUN!

Very true :blush:

And I would buy a kcnc stem, handlebar, headset and skewers too to go onto it. Couldn't care less. Whatever makes you more happy on your bike is the only thing that matters.

Edited by MTB Marinio

I've always bought XT cassettes because the solid models (SLX & Deore) trash my hub. I know if you tighten the k@k out of the cassette nut it helps but I've really struggled to get Deore cassettes off. I'm pretty sure SLX is also a one piece unit?

I've always bought XT cassettes because the solid models (SLX & Deore) trash my hub. I know if you tighten the k@k out of the cassette nut it helps but I've really struggled to get Deore cassettes off. I'm pretty sure SLX is also a one piece unit?

Nope, SLX is also spider based.