MTB under R10k

Kerchak

Hi

I have been looking at bikes for several weeks and have narrowed it down to 3 bikes.

Momsen 329 (new)

Silverback Vida 1 (used)

Corratec Superbow Fun (New)

All 3 have similar components. SRAM 5x/7x or Shimano Deore/SLX. I did not look at the wheels or shocks. Prices are between R8k and R10k. I have seen good reviews for the Silverback, but could not find any for the Corratec. Which one would you buy?

Buy a second hand quality 26" bike with XTR and great wheels.

You can get a bike tht sold for 4 or 5 times your budget three years ago.

Most LBS have shown me Titans, Merida, Trek, Momsen and Silverbacks. Have not seen any Ghost. Will have a look at it this weekend.

Most LBS have shown me Titans, Merida, Trek, Momsen and Silverbacks. Have not seen any Ghost. Will have a look at it this weekend.

Check out ballistic bike trading. I'm sure they're on Facebook. Don't know much about mtbs but the back up service from BBT is incredible. Like, amazing. There is a concept store in honeydew. Nice to have something not everyone else does, and they sure look pretty!

I love how he clearly lists 3 29er options. And then some people advise him to buy a 2nd hand 26er. I personally dislike 26ers a lot, I dont like how they ride look and drop value faster than a Kia/Huyndai. Moving on. If he wants a 29er, let him have one.

Edited by schalk1982

I love how he clearly lists 3 29er options. And then some people advise him to buy a 2nd hand 26er. I personally dislike 26ers a lot, they look ***, ride *** en sell ***. Moving on. If he wants a 29er, let him have one.

Yislaaik Schalkie, maar jy is aggresief vannand.....

If you have R10 000 you cannot buy anything but a mid-range aluminum framed 29er with poor/average componentry and heavy wheels (*), or a top end spec second hand 26" bike. I know which is the better buy.

The bike shops are selling him hype, because that is what they have in stock.

Oh, and I have both 26" and 29" bikes, in HT, DS and SS. Contrary to what you believe, it is not the wheel size that determines how a bike looks or rides.

You are thought right about them selling "***". However, because 26" bike now sell poorly, it is a buyers market, particularly second hand.

(*) read, in your words, ***.

Edited by eddy

Thanks, will have a look at ballistic's website. Did also went to Solomons. Some great specials there.

I already have mid range 26er, which is very nice. But, I have need for a 2nd bike. One to keep permanently at my office. I either cycle at work or at home and all this bike on a rack behind the car is a lot of work (my justification to buy a new bike). I have had sleepless nights between 26 DS, 29 HT, new, used etc. etc. So, looking for 29er, mid range which will keep this weekend warrior happy.

One will obviously get a far superior 26er in this day and age to a new 29er. No one is arguing that. I have been cycling for years, but never fell in love till I rode a 29er. It was cheap and heavy, but it was fantastic, and I upgraded eventually.

If you have R10 000 you cannot buy anything but a mid-range aluminum framed 29er with poor/average componentry and heavy wheels (*), or a top end spec second hand 26" bike. I know which is the better buy.

The bike shops are selling him hype, because that is what they have in stock.

Oh, and I have both 26" and 29" bikes, in HT, DS and SS. Contrary to what you believe, it is not the wheel size that determines how a bike looks or rides.

You are thought right about them selling "***". However, because 26" bike now sell poorly, it is a buyers market, particularly second hand.

(*) read, in your words, ***.

Nie aggressief nie. Glad nie. Sal graag iemand wil help dat hy sport geniet.

If you shop around you can. I got a new Fuji 29" with XT, WTB tubeless rims and Reba fork 15mm T/A with remote lock for R9000.00, ok it is aluminum but with a MTB i prefer it to carbon .

Only thing i have swapped is the name brand Fuji seat for a Gobi.