Knee issue

S Ribic

Hey folks,

I have been mountain biking for a few months now, was really building up my strength and just have a blast riding 3 - 4 times a week.

However, about 2 weeks ago I came to realise that sometimes I may be a bit too busy to ride, so thought that I would start running in between the days when I am riding. Saturday was my off day.

One morning I went for a 8km run but at a high tempo/quick pace. When I got home felt a very light pain in my left knee. That same day I went for a 40km ride. Next day my knee was feeling sore. Took a day off, then this past Sunday went out for a ride, however this time my knee was really painful so cut the ride short and went home.

Since then I haven't done any exercise, this morning I thought I'd go for a very light and short run (just had to get out). To sum up the run, it was rubbish, reason being I ran for about 2km, and my knee started feeling 'tight' and sore, so called it a day.

The pain is on the inside of my left knee, and it hurts when I lift my knee up and down, otherwise I can walk just fine.

What am I doing wrong? Should I be resting more? Rubbing something onto the knee? Ice?? Any constructive advise would be greatly appreciated.

Really upset at the moment because I started feeling good and fit, and as much as I want to be training, I just cannot because of this pain in my knee. :thumbdown:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was waiting for you to say the "outside" of your knee, as that is where i had an issue which was ITBFS. On the inside of the knee, i'm not to sure. Hopefully somebody else has the know how on that issue and position of pain.

Ice is always a good thing and assist in getting rid of inflimation. You pretty much follow the RICE advice... Rest - Ice - Compression - Elevation

very swak dude! i would lay off the running for now as this seems to be the trigger! will mail you some strengthening exercises that will help but not put pressure on it. But R.I.C.E is always good.

I was also about to shout ITB until you said 'inside'....

Dude, I think give up running, get an indoor trainer and preserve those knees!

On another note if you don't want to stop running try not running on the road and work on not having a heel strike... Often the heel strike causes issues and the running on the road repetition sometimes causes big problems. Running off road wil force you to shorten your stride and will break up the repetition... It is also far more enjoyable.

Read 'born to run' by Christopher Macdougall for inspiration. Its a classic

Perhaps a call to the Sport Science Institute.... seeing as you are in CT and all... there are a few chaps there who know about that stuff....

How far have you been running in the past? I read somewhere that with running, your lungs develop faster than your muscles so its easier to overtrain/strain a muscle?

Perhaps a call to the Sport Science Institute.... seeing as you are in CT and all... there are a few chaps there who know about that stuff....

Either there OR at UCT there is a place called 'The Sports Injury Clinic' which is also really good.

I have been treated there a couple of times and done some rehab with the guys there. A bit cheaper maybe than the SSI but very good.

Now Why didn't I think of that! Good suggestion V12man!

Any swelling? Or has it just been pain?

No swelling, there may have been a bit but nothing now, just pain. Oh and I don't think it has to do with the running,

yesterday went to the shop which is about 500m away on my bike, and once again very sore.

Super irritating.

I had something similar last week, I dropped my saddle 5mm, moved my cleats a few mm back and moved my saddle forward a few mm.

I had pain on the inside of the left knee and outside of the right, only while cycling, the change to the bike setup fixed it.

I've have exactly the same problem. My however occurred while finishing the 100-miler in Malmesbury. I am still not 100% fine but I am slowly getting there. You should visit a physio or biokinetisist. Also check your cleat setup. This made a major difference in my comfort levels.

How far have you been running in the past? I read somewhere that with running, your lungs develop faster than your muscles so its easier to overtrain/strain a muscle?

Too be honest never really ran. Played other sports but not actual road running.

Either there OR at UCT there is a place called 'The Sports Injury Clinic' which is also really good.

I have been treated there a couple of times and done some rehab with the guys there. A bit cheaper maybe than the SSI but very good.

Now Why didn't I think of that! Good suggestion V12man!

Tim used to run a weekly free clinic at the sports center at UCT once a week - if memory serves on a Tuesday at 2pm - but last time I was there was in '87.... no idea if he still does it - staffed and attended by his students and himself when he is in town.

Guess that kind of dates me somewhat too :)

So if you live in Cape Town in the Gauteng province go jog lightly on the mountain and see if it helps... But go see someone. Real doctors and physiotherapists will be able to clear this up faster than this thread...

So if you live in Cape Town in the Gauteng province go jog lightly on the mountain and see if it helps... But go see someone. Real doctors and physiotherapists will be able to clear this up faster than this thread...

Fair enough, will do

I used this calculator to workout seat height http://www.ebicycles.com/, then did this:

Sitting on the bike, position one foot forwards so the crank is parallel to the floor at 3 o’clock. Hold a length of string with a weight on the end at the front of your knee. The string should drop down in line with the pedal axle. Adjust if necessary.

That adjustment was all I needed