Intermediate, Beginner and/or Sissy Pants riders please note..

Thug

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please post a pic of said bridge (and the troll that lives there) for us not so lucky to be there.

It really doesn't look like much, if you see a picture of it you will wonder what the hell everyone's on about. Look I'm sure if you are a proficient rider it's probably fairly easy. Its just that it has this slight dip a rock or 2 in the wrong place and an approach angle that can be a little slippery... the problem is there are lots of very sharp rocks to break your fall and worse they can damage your bike....

where's the concrete bridge?

It's in the middle.

Trying to think how to describe it...

It's a bridge over the river, but not immediately noticeable as a bridge. After the initial switchbacks, you ride along a long, fast flat section inbetween the trees, then hit a tight 90 degree right hand corner, flat section into a short sharp hill that has 2 available lines, one of which was recently (last year) converted into a drop. The Right hand line is now the "up"route. After short sharp steep hill, you turn left then right and go into a flat, flowy section, which then leads to the troll bridge.

The tight 90 degree turn described above takes you onto the concrete bridge, across the stream. It's a very small bridge.

It really doesn't look like much, if you see a picture of it you will wonder what the hell everyone's on about. Look I'm sure if you are a proficient rider it's probably fairly easy. Its just that it has this slight dip a rock or 2 in the wrong place and an approach angle that can be a little slippery... the problem is there are lots of very sharp rocks to break your fall and worse they can damage your bike....

good news is that the bridge is going to be rebuilt with proper (un-slimed) wood sometime soon.

The pine that the bridge is made of at the moment is susceptible to slime, which makes it slippery (especially seeing as it gets no sunlight, which would remove the possibility of slime forming on the wood) The new bridge won't be susceptible to slime, and will not become slippery.

The little drop off after the troll bridge on the way down Faerie Garden. Beginner's panic!

funnily enough that's never bothered me I didn't know you could hurt yourself so badly on that the ground seems relatively soft there....hmm

good news is that the bridge is going to be rebuilt with proper (un-slimed) wood sometime soon.

The pine that the bridge is made of at the moment is susceptible to slime, which makes it slippery (especially seeing as it gets no sunlight, which would remove the possibility of slime forming on the wood) The new bridge won't be susceptible to slime, and will not become slippery.

Many, many kudo's to you guys, as always... are those boards on the Roots trails also pine? They seemed fairly sticky when I was last there in the dry, but would hate to come down there and get a snot-klap... or is that slime-klap??

funnily enough that's never bothered me I didn't know you could hurt yourself so badly on that the ground seems relatively soft there....hmm

That's exactly the point... now you know you're really not nearly as nervous as you thought!

slippery slimey pine reminds me of Tsitsikamma forest. one year we went there and were walking on the boardwalk and I was telling the kids not to run on it and warning my wife how slippery it was when whammo down I went ... my wife and kids had a good laugh even though It was quite sore....

That's exactly the point... now you know you're really not nearly as nervous as you thought!

yes except now everytime I ride down there I'm going to be thinking some poor bloke bust his arms here .... and we all know what happens when you're riding and your mind starts to wander lol.

Many, many kudo's to you guys, as always... are those boards on the Roots trails also pine? They seemed fairly sticky when I was last there in the dry, but would hate to come down there and get a snot-klap... or is that slime-klap??

Gladly received. And things are going to go faster now, it seems. Behind the scenes, things are changing. Investors moving in, keen to see a difference. Pain or Shine now in there full time (has been for a few months) and me taking a more active role in the day-to-day as well (after hours, that is)

MUCH action is needed after this rain we've had.

Oh - and yes, those boards are pine. BUT - we have a source (and funds) for new wood to go in. Just to find the time.

yes except now everytime I ride down there I'm going to be thinking some poor bloke bust his arms here .... and we all know what happens when you're riding and your mind starts to wander lol.

What happens is that you inadvertently have the best ride of your life. Riding is best done with a clear mind.

oh, front fork!!!! I didn't realise what I did there! Uhmmm... just avoid the massive, huge, knarly tree at the bottom.

I believe he can be destructive. He broke my seatpost clamp in about 20sec. Haha.

My Shimano MT75 wheel lasted 6km.I hope he's not reading this...

In other news - I was reminded of something during last week's crashfest.

Do or don't do - there is no try.

If you dilly dally and enter and obstacle tentatively - you die.

Pop your panties on and ride it is the best way. Difficult to do the first time but thats the way you stand the best chance of success. Last week I crashed once or twice early on and from there is just went pear shaped.

If I'd stopped - like totally centred my thoughts and became one with the earth mentally instead of physically I think it would have gone a lot better. That and the fact that I was riding with "Jumping rock gardens is much smoother" Iron and "I can wheelspin up any climb all the way to heaven" Boosted GP...

oh, front fork!!!! I didn't realise what I did there! Uhmmm... just avoid the massive, huge, knarly tree at the bottom.

You mean the one that fell right across the trail, and we had to clear by hand, axe and chainsaw?

In other news - I was reminded of something during last week's crashfest.

Do or don't do - there is no try.

If you dilly dally and enter and obstacle tentatively - you die.

Pop your panties on and ride it is the best way. Difficult to do the first time but thats the way you stand the best chance of success. Last week I crashed once or twice early on and from there is just went pear shaped.

If I'd stopped - like totally centred my thoughts and became one with the earth mentally instead of physically I think it would have gone a lot better. That and the fact that I was riding with "Jumping rock gardens is much smoother" Iron and "I can wheelspin up any climb all the way to heaven" Boosted GP...

Sooo true. Take those fingers off yo' brakes, FOOL! I pity da fool who fails to fist his bars when encounterin a technical section!