Indomitable Schurter claims consecutive World Title

Vetseun

I also thought about it long and hard.

He pretty much disappeared off the scene after his Olympic gold.

But I guess if he can get an 18th. at that level after all this time, he must have some pretty good legs left.

Didn't he win Sea Otter this year?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also thought about it long and hard.

He pretty much disappeared off the scene after his Olympic gold.

But I guess if he can get an 18th. at that level after all this time, he must have some pretty good legs left.

HE was at the sharp end of XC in the late 90's with the SUNN Mtb team, won gold in Sydney, moved over to road an had a decent career there. In 2013 he's still racing at the sharp end in his late 30's

All you said here brother, I like very much and agree with.

I will say that my biggest gripe is all the "sponsored" riders out there.

I mean why the hell would someone throw money in to someone because they became the first this, or that to finish the Epic.

Put that money in to an up and coming youngster.

Simple economics. It all boils down to bang for your buck. Put yourself in the sponsors shoes. You are a company that is looking for exposure. You have a few grand to spend on marketing. You market cycling related products. Where are you more likely to spend your money? Reality is that the cash and support is going to go to someone that stands on the podium week in and week out and gets his picture in the media with your logo splashed all over his chest or holding your bottle of energy drink.

The sad thing is that there are other riders out there with just as much natural talent and drive (but no money) to be one of the best but they have no means of ever achieving that goal.

The sponsors need to channel some of their funds into the academies and help develop youngsters (from all backgrounds). That way they will have a larger pool to choose from and ultimately get their brand exposure.

Basically I think they need to split the sponsorship. Sure put your logo onto Phillip Buys' chest because your brand will get exposure but also set aside some money for the academy, because one day, one of their development kids might be stepping into Phillip's shoes, if not giving him a run for his money...!

Are we allowed to dream?

Sauser running a CSA/sponsored academy down in Stellenbosch which will include taking riders to Europe to compete.

Reality

Hoping that Spur series will encourage more youngsters to start riding and that a new star will emerge.

Simple economics. It all boils down to bang for your buck. Put yourself in the sponsors shoes. You are a company that is looking for exposure. You have a few grand to spend on marketing. You market cycling related products. Where are you more likely to spend your money? Reality is that the cash and support is going to go to someone that stands on the podium week in and week out and gets his picture in the media with your logo splashed all over his chest or holding your bottle of energy drink.

I think you are misunderstanding me, not referring to podium makers here, I am referring to people that are being sponsored who sit at the back of the field.

And after that ?

Don't know - just remember seeing on Velonews that he had won Sea Otter.

Don't think he's won anything else at all.

I think you are misunderstanding me, not referring to podium makers here, I am referring to people that are being sponsored who sit at the back of the field.

How far back?

If anybody was at the race, please explain to me how fast these guys really are.

Put it this way: Nino flicked through the corkscrew faster and with more style than most guys on all-mountain/enduro bikes could ever wish to. It was insane. Seeing him dominate that section in real life was humbling, to say the least.

Don't know - just remember seeing on Velonews that he had won Sea Otter.

Don't think he's won anything else at all.

Sad really, I see it as an athlete taking their talent for granted.

He is quite an explosive one to watch.

That Olympic gold of his was one of the best races I ever watched, after they caught Frischknecht the race between Martinez ,Popeye and Sauser was a tough close race.

It was sad to see all of the country flags flying proudly outside their team camps, but we had to ask where South Africa was based. We were told to look for the Epic Cycles gazebo. Some of the guys and girls were sitting on the grass. No SA flag proudly flying at our own World Champs. Disappointing.

75 % back.

not sure i understand ,

only sponser winners is what you mean ?

what about up and comming ? you dont want companies to invest in riders with potentual thus giving them a oppotunaty in life ?

what i miss

75 % back.

At the end of the day it is the sponsors money. If they feel that their brand is being represented that far down, then let them have at it. (I do agree that more money needs to be invested into young talent though)

I ride in that 75% region (Sometimes further back...) If somebody offers me free kit and pays for my race entry, technically I'm sponsored. Should I be judged? I'd like to think not. I'll take all the help I can get!

I try to do my bit. I take my family to the KZN Cycling Academy tracks for a weekend ride instead of the local commercial bike park. Not only is it cheaper but it puts money into the pockets of people that need the help.

not sure i understand ,

only sponser winners is what you mean ?

what about up and comming ? you dont want companies to invest in riders with potentual thus giving them a oppotunaty in life ?

what i miss

At the end of the day it is the sponsors money. If they feel that their brand is being represented that far down, then let them have at it. (I do agree that more money needs to be invested into young talent though)

I ride in that 75% region (Sometimes further back...) If somebody offers me free kit and pays for my race entry, technically I'm sponsored. Should I be judged? I'd like to think not. I'll take all the help I can get!

I try to do my bit. I take my family to the KZN Cycling Academy tracks for a weekend ride instead of the local commercial bike park. Not only is it cheaper but it puts money into the pockets of people that need the help.

Not to worry, I will get out of your hair.

It was sad to see all of the country flags flying proudly outside their team camps, but we had to ask where South Africa was based. Some of the guys and girls were sitting on the grass. No SA flag proudly flying at our own World Champs. Disappointing.

Not sure you should air any grievances, we seem to be a very level headed nation at the top of our game.

You will be flamed for comments like these.