Bike jacking Beyers Naude

The Raj

Is this on the singletrack that runs along beyers naude past garden world? cant exaclty recall a makeshift soccer field there?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this on the singletrack that runs along beyers naude past garden world? cant exaclty recall a makeshift soccer field there?

yea....also bit lost wrt soccer field. Foxie, can you show us on google earth where it happened. Will help alot.

We did a recce ride around beyers on sat, although we skipped that part out. Eish

Edited by rouxtjie

Hi guys it was me that was bike jacked , I am fine for now and will heal. Just lucky I got away with my life. Please all be very careful out there. I was with another couple who were on a tandem and they luckily got away .

Just glad you didnt pay with your life....could have been worse. We often feel like our mtb's are our only thing, but they are worthless compared to a human life

The stolen bike trade seems to be growing and theives appear to be getting more brazen. It's high time this is raised at some level with SAPS. These bikes are being sold somewhere, so there is a market that needs to squashed before it gets even more out of hand.

It's one thing to focus on these thugs, but the '' buyers" of these bikes need to be tracked down.

I wonder who buys the stolen bikes. Like this bike, obviously pretty unique, surely it must pop up somewhere. Or do they strip them down and sell the parts?

Thats fairly close to that informal settlement area? Seems like any route in the nearby vacinity to these types of places is a hotspot, eg, Northern Farms and Diepsloot & Thembisa and Midrand. Means that our riding areas are becoming few and far between!!

I gather from what you said that you did not resist at all. Just to understand the stabbing, did it happen when they approached you, or when they were leaving? Do you feel anything brought that on, or were they just power tripping?

oh so it wasnt on the Singletrack on the side of Beyers it was quite a way off the side of the road. I have ridden that section once and didn't like as it was quite secluded. thanx for the info.

Glad your ok. hoping a fast recovery and to see you back on a bike soon.

Edited by jcmeyerSS

it is behind garden world. when you ride from collage rd past the airfield then down the back of garden world

Thanx for posting the position Foxie.

If you dont mind, could you explain a bit about your riding patterns? Was it a weekly ride? early in the morning, or late in the afternoon? do you normally ride the same loop on a regular basis?

I am trying to ascertain if perhaps you were being targeted specifically as a cyclist, or if it was a crime of chance.

(though it seems by your description initially that they were waiting in the bushes for an unsuspecting cyclist.)

We ride this route fairy regularly and it is a well used track for riders in our area. I do believe it was not a crime by chance and we were targeted as cyclists. There were 2 guys who held me up the first one had a gun to my head and he was very quite and purely focused on keeping the gun on me. The other guy had the knife was the aggressive one screaming and threatening me and he stabbed me in his rage even before he took my phone etc . I never resisted in any way and still that did not help .

ah ok, we normally ride right next to beyers naude...also a little singletrack path. To be honest, I don't think they will attempt it in a busy area...zandspruit as an example...secluded seems to be where these savage sit and wait...probably high on something.

Take it easy Foxie...all the best. :thumbup:

I kinda agree with Rouxtjie.

Having said that, i think these savages are very unpredictable.

Kark one this is so close to home. Good luck with the process of dealing with this Foxi.

Edited by RocknRolla

i kinda agree with Rouxtjie.

Having said that, i think these savages are very unpredictable.

I also only ride the singletrack next to beyers.

Yea by no means a given but it seems there is a pattern...Take one informal settlements(diepsloot, zandspruit, thembisa), add some remote / secluded / off the beaten track trails within a 5km radius + some moegslegmense that can't be bothered to work for a living = prime area.

When I ride through zandspruit itself, I feel safe(maybe I shouldn't be, but anyway)...people wave and greet and I sometimes stop at the total garage on the corner for a coke.

I have done some early morning rides and some evening rides next to beyers (obviously with proper lighting) and I must say, I am rethinking my strategy after this.

Time to get the Avianto night rides set up with Richard.

Although I hate being held hostage like this in my 'hood I would not like to tickle the lions ball with razorwire...

• 3 weeks later...