"Best" bang for bucks - 29er for less than R10K

Morwa

Hubbers,

I've got a friend than was bitten by the MTB bug over the weekend. He's new to cycling and needs to buy a MTB (29er). Budget is limited to R10K.

He is 1.83m. Which bike would you recommend? R10K for just the bike.

Cheers.

New or 2nd hand?

I would say go for a bike fit at your LBS but he should be able to squeeze himself onto a medium or unfold onto a large depending on how he feels comfortable.

There is a medium Scott Scale team 29er in Pinelands in the classifieds right now with a handy wheelset and decent components for 7 odd grand.... But browse the classifieds, there are a lot of good deals

(It's not mine if anybody thinks I'm touting! I just saw it and thought, hey.....)

Edited by singlespeedGuy

TX for all the replies. New bike only.

Big thumbs up for the Momsen AL329 from some hubbers.

What about the GT Zaskar 9R Sport? Any experiences with this bike?

Test drove the Zaskar, did not like the geometry - very relaxed. Also did not like the fork, prefer the specs on the Scott Edited by martinsnyman

The zaskar 9er sport is a decent buy, as far as I know, comes with external bb, 10spd, rockshox recon solo air ( I think ) great looking bike as well. Merida big nine tfs 500 is also a great bike, decent drive train, a friend bought one a few months back and he is stoked with it. That being said, the momsens are great, and local! Good luck

Merida tfs 300 big nine... Verry well built frame and decent components, have mine about 8 months now and a verry happy man. Well suited to your friends weight as well.

I've got the Mreida Tfs 500 29er think if not mistaken 17" (Medium) hardtail frame. All original on the bike, accept for grips and bar-ends, has got xt rear derailer, not even 500km's on yet. Rims got tubeless ready conversion, just need tubeless tyres (I have the tubeless valves as well). I am 1,76m tall and weight about 90kg's. Need to sell as I had my 2nd back operation in 2 years last Tuesday so I do need to go for a full suspension bike. If interested pm me or call me on 0829209190

At that length he'll most likely need a large frame. I'm 168.5cm to be exact and I ride a Momsen AL329R medium.

Different brands' geometry differ so let him see what fits him.

Get something with a decent fork and rims - the rest are cheaper to upgrade than rims and fork.