Dropper Post

madmarc

My next upgrade will be a dropper post. I'm looking at the Rockshox reverb. Not knowing a thing about dropper posts, are they as fantastic as people make them out to be, and are they worth the upgrade.

What would you suggest in up to 3.5k price range

Can anyone tell me the difference between the normal reverb and the stealth model.

Any feedback would be appreciated

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dropper posts are one of those things that you don't realize what you were missing until you have one.

I have a reverb... worth.every.penny!

As for regular vs stealth. Stealth is nice because the lever hose/cable doesn't move when the post expands or contracts. BUT it only works with certain frames. So f your frame isn't stealth specific, you'll be wasting your money.

As patches says... the steath needs a port at the bottom of the seattube for the hose to enter into the frame.

Be aware of being sold the Reverb 1 - the second generation is more reliable

Edited by ichnusa

Yep -that's the one you need.

I have a Reverb Stealth and wouldn't ride without it now. I understand the KS dropper are also excellent - particularly the Lev.

Yep -that's the one you need.

I have a Reverb Stealth and wouldn't ride without it now. I understand the KS dropper are also excellent - particularly the Lev.

Yeah. KS i 900 / i950 / Superlight are all good, as is the Lev. I've used the Lev before and it was awesome. the normal ones are also good, only real difference being that the cable extends to the seat post head (like the Reverb does) rather than the collar itself. This means that on the Reverb and the non-Lev ks's, the cable moves as it goes up and down.

There is nothing 'fancy' about the hole where my dopper cable come through in my seat tube - cant one just cut one?

I doubt it will change the strength of the tube - it is only about 6mm.

As patches says... the steath needs a port at the bottom of the seattube for the hose to enter into the frame.

Be aware of being sold the Reverb 1 - the second generation is more reliable

some bikes also have them in the down tube at the bottom, just a bit up from the BB....i saw it this weekend at World Champs.

There is nothing 'fancy' about the hole where my dopper cable come through in my seat tube - cant one just cut one?

I doubt it will change the strength of the tube - it is only about 6mm.

some bikes also have them in the down tube at the bottom, just a bit up from the BB....i saw it this weekend at World Champs.

THIS.

Also can modify the bottle cage mounts for a good entry point. But if you drill, say goodbye to your warranty!

Checking out the KS Lev, I see it has a cable instead of a hydraulic pipe form the lever, would this be better or are they much of a muchness. Anyone know where I can get a price on this model

Also how do I select the drop length as there is a choice of 100. 125 and 150mm I ride mainly trails and do marathons / stage races. etc

Checking out the KS Lev, I see it has a cable instead of a hydraulic pipe form the lever, would this be better or are they much of a muchness. Anyone know where I can get a price on this model

Also how do I select the drop length as there is a choice of 100. 125 and 150mm I ride mainly trails and do marathons / stage races. etc

Hydraulic just means it may have to be bled from time to time. I wouldn't base my choice on cable or hydraulic though.

As for prices on the Lev. International Trade are the KS agents for SA. (They also do Hope, WTB, Spank, SDG, FSA, Birzman and many other nice goodies.

And length... 100mm is a bit obsolete. go 125mm or 150mm if you can.

What's that?

I am not lucky enough to have those on my bike.

More like you're lucky enough to own a bike with no cage mounts. Usually means it's decent and likes gravity.

To the OP - Reverb or KS. Both are good. Thomson hasn't been around long enough to have any long-term testing done, but chances are it'll be great. The rest are also-rans IMNSHO.

Hydraulic just means it may have to be bled from time to time. I wouldn't base my choice on cable or hydraulic though.

As for prices on the Lev. International Tradeare the KS agents for SA. (They also do Hope, WTB, Spank, SDG, FSA, Birzman and many other nice goodies.

And length... 100mm is a bit obsolete. go 125mm or 150mm if you can.

Hydraulic actually ends up being lower maintenance, but you've got to know what you're doing when you shorten the hose. Bleeding's pretty simple, and the post ships with the bleed kit and some oil.

As for length, measure the freeboard on your current seatpost and get one that long (allowing about 50mm for the collar and clamp on the dropper). More versatility = good, and better resale value when you upgrade one day.

And yes, International stock some nice toys. A dangerous trade account to have, unless you have a bottomless credit card...

STAY AWAY FROM CRANK BROTHERS!!!

Seriously... the Joplin and the Kronolog... leave them alone

Same goes for pretty much anything with a CB logo...