[Event] Magoebaskloof Classic

EZRider

Event Name: Magoebaskloof Classic
When: 2 November 2013
Where: Stanford Lake College, Limpopo
Category: MTB

It's time to leave behind the Big Smoke and Little Spruit and treat yourself and your mountain bike to what you deserve.

2nd of November means the Magoebaskloof Classic which, while not the most technically demanding of marathons promises very big mountains (read proper climbs!), breathtaking indigenous forest and very fast descents.

Hosted for the first time by Stanford Lake College the Magoebaskloof Classic will stay true to its roots with proceeds once again benefitting Rotary.

For any enquiries PM me.

Hope to see you on the hills!

Ray

Go to Event Page

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not done it for years but from what I remember it was spectacular.

Through the tea plantations and the forest.There was a water stop next to the falls

The only thing that bit me was that 23km climb.

The other Magoebas race that heads off towards the Wolkberg I found tough.First time I met Burry

I have fond memories as well of the Magoebas road race.Down Georges valley and back up Magoebas Kloof.Love the area.My ex's aunt and uncle farm in Ofcalaco

Hey Ray,

Can`t wait, made my Hotel reservation yesterday.

Just to wet everyones appetite a view of the start/finish:

http://slc.co.za/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/wall6.jpg

Hey Ray,

Can`t wait, made my Hotel reservation yesterday.

Just to wet everyones appetite a view of the start/finish:

http://slc.co.za/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/wall6.jpg

Glad you are coming Nick.

Your Dale needs a vertical challenge!

Through the tea plantations and the forest.There was a water stop next to the falls

The other Magoebas race that heads off towards the Wolkberg I found tough.First time I met Burry

I have fond memories as well of the Magoebas road race.Down Georges valley and back up Magoebas Kloof.Love the area.My ex's aunt and uncle farm in Ofcalaco

Route has changed a bit, the 23 km climb is out but the total ascent will be about the same so bring your climbing legs.

Glad you are coming Nick.

Your Dale needs a vertical challenge!

He He - I am practising by looking at the ground a lot, cos I know when I am there all you see is sky as you are climbing :)

If you enjoyed the Magoebas road race, we are back onto the old traditional Magoebaskloof route next year in May 2014 after more than 3 - 4 years of roadworks but having a spectacular MTB event the day before which you cannot miss. So remember to book your weekend of "both worlds" early next year!

• 4 weeks later...

You coming Kosmo?

Yes hoping to attend, def. worth the drive from Jhb. Need to overnight tho enroute. Stayed at that hotel on the pass last time, that was a bit siff. That Protea this side of Polekwane is an option (The Ranch?)

I will try not come last though (again), but the smaller the field the further down you find my name. Although now with a 650b I might have some extra help from above. Mind you last is better than a DNF!

Currently a toss-up between Nissan Trailseeker 5 (Down and Dirty) at Cornwall Hill or Magoebaskloof. If it was not for the OH wanting to do all five Trailseekers, there would be no contest.....Magoebaskloof for sure! Some of the best scenery, some of the best tracks and some of the best climbs.

Got a friend staying there between the plantations near Haenertsberg. Did Mount Merric a few weekends ago. Not too technical, but some of the climbs are brutal.

Nice three hours drive from Pretoria. Worth making a weekend breakaway of it for all the MTB riders who have gripes with the Trailseeker series. You won't be sorry.....except if you don't have climbing legs.

Edit: PS comment:

Have made a suggestion to him to erect some self-catering lodges on his small holding to accommodate MTBrs over weekends that want to do the trails. Feedback?

Edited by BarHugger

• 2 weeks later...

Just entered can't wait to go back did the race back in 2002 when i was still a junior and it killed me. But i should be a lot wiser and fitter this time around.