Ultra Poormans XX1

Flowta

Great Stuff GT Boy - so about R700.00 plus time and elbow grease? Am wondering whether the answer is to buy a cheaper 9 speed casette - 11 to 36 and just add a tenth cog - would it work or is teh 9 speed too wide already?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Stuff GT Boy - so about R700.00 plus time and elbow grease? Am wondering whether the answer is to buy a cheaper 9 speed casette - 11 to 36 and just add a tenth cog - would it work or is teh 9 speed too wide already?

It will works with 9 speed, but I only know of a 12-36 cassette. There's actually a 1mm and a 0.5mm washer included to get the spacing right if needed.

You don't just add a tenth sprocket, you have to remove one of the smaller sprockets.

The width of a 9 speed and 10 speed cassette is the same

Flowta did you order the oversized cassette lockring with your 38 and 41t cogs?

If not how did you get round using the normal sized locking?

Flowta did you order the oversized cassette lockring with your 38 and 41t cogs?

If not how did you get round using the normal sized locking?

No, I had a 12-36 9sp cassette and an 11-36 10sp cassette and played with sprockets from them to end up with an 11-41 10sp cassette and a 12-36 9sp cassette. It's all there in the 2 posts

• 1 month later...

Had a couple of rides now with the conversion and so far no problems with shifts, bending, etc.

I'm very happy with it.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks for all the info FlowTa

I have just ordered the 40t from usa

I did the wolftooth 32t 1x10 conversion last week.

Then did Gravel Travel this past weekend, and man did I suffer with the 32 in the front and 11-36 cassette. Suffered like never before

Glad for all your info, looking forward to sorting out my cassette with the 40t blade

Thanks for all the info FlowTa

I have just ordered the 40t from usa

I did the wolftooth 32t 1x10 conversion last week.

Then did Gravel Travel this past weekend, and man did I suffer with the 32 in the front and 11-36 cassette. Suffered like never before

Glad for all your info, looking forward to sorting out my cassette with the 40t blade

:thumbup:

Went for my first ride on sunday with 34 42 and realised that im not that strong, and that setup for me wont work for xco, marathon would be fine.

but for xco 32 42 would even be challenging.

IMHO you need the 42 at the back to be more like a granny gear if you are riding 32 front

Do it. On a lighter bike you can push far taller gears than you imagine. I rode the HH tour on my 150mm bike with light wheels and a 34x 11-36 and it was fine.

Archived