Giant vs GT, which model should I choose

theOtherGuy

I have recently started to cycle again. The last time I rode MTB was in Matric (2008). I currently have a Giant Boulder, I think it is a 2007 model. However, since I started again, I am looking at buying myself a new bike, but stuck on these two models.

Giant Revel 0 29'er 2014:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-in/bikes/model/revel.0/15133/66919/#specifications

GT Karakoram Sport 29'er 2014:

http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=2598

Which of thses two models are the better option? I will mostly be riding single tracks, and a little road riding.

Also, are these models really such a big upgrade from the boulder, enough for me to see/feel the difference?

What other models can I consider in this price range, that might be offer me a bit more?

Thanks.

Neither, over your boulder. That thing is strong as nails, and you should be looking up a segment if you want to upgrade.

Oh - the Revel 0 is a 26er and the Karakoram is a 29er. Both have the same (crap) selection of parts, forks and so on.

Basically - keep your Boulder and save up for a bit more!

Neither, over your boulder. That thing is strong as nails, and you should be looking up a segment if you want to upgrade.

Oh - the Revel 0 is a 26er and the Karakoram is a 29er. Both have the same (crap) selection of parts, forks and so on.

The link is to the Revel 29er is wrong. This is it. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-za/bikes/model/revel.29er.0.v2/12798/59411/

i assume ur bike is a 26er?

thus going 29er is a "better" option from what i have seen and heard from like wise riders to myself.

I have a GT zaskar race 2001 frame, spec with some nice wheels.

have u thought of upgrading ur wheels? it might be a better option...

thus going 29er is a "better" option from what i have seen and heard from like wise riders to myself.

I'd upgrade the fork first, tbh... It makes a huuuuge difference

You do get a revel in 29.

But I agree, stick with the boulder and then upgrade to something better.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......

The problem I have found with budget 29ers is the fork.

I bought a Talon two years ago - which now comes in a 27.5, and which was in the same price range as the Revel is now - and the fork flexed so much, it was unnerving.

I have recently started to cycle again. The last time I rode MTB was in Matric (2008). I currently have a Giant Boulder, I think it is a 2007 model. However, since I started again, I am looking at buying myself a new bike, but stuck on these two models.

Giant Revel 0 29'er 2014:

http://www.giant-bic...#specifications

GT Karakoram Sport 29'er 2014:

http://www.sunsetmtb...product_id=2598

Which of thses two models are the better option? I will mostly be riding single tracks, and a little road riding.

Also, are these models really such a big upgrade from the boulder, enough for me to see/feel the difference?

What other models can I consider in this price range, that might be offer me a bit more?

Thanks.

Dude keep the boulder. what a bombproof bike! I used to do everything on mine.

As said earlier, rather save up and get a better bike later. there is nothing more irritating then getting into the upgrade game with limited budget cos you spend all that money on something and its still not right.

If you have the itch to spend some cash get hydraulic disc brakes. not too expensive an upgrade, makes your bike look a lot more flashy and improves braking in wet muddy conditions...

+1 on the Momsen range!

Yeah. But again, not that much better than the Boulder. At this level, and extra grand saved does a LOT to teh spec of a bike. So - I'd wait out till I had another couple thousand saved up, then either buy second hand or get a newer, better bike that'll be a real upgrade over the Boulder.

+ 1

Makes sense.

Yeah. But again, not that much better than the Boulder. At this level, and extra grand saved does a LOT to teh spec of a bike. So - I'd wait out till I had another couple thousand saved up, then either buy second hand or get a newer, better bike that'll be a real upgrade over the Boulder.

Neither, over your boulder. That thing is strong as nails, and you should be looking up a segment if you want to upgrade. Oh - the Revel 0 is a 26er and the Karakoram is a 29er. Both have the same (crap) selection of parts, forks and so on. Basically - keep your Boulder and save up for a bit more!
Dude keep the boulder. what a bombproof bike! I used to do everything on mine. As said earlier, rather save up and get a better bike later. there is nothing more irritating then getting into the upgrade game with limited budget cos you spend all that money on something and its still not right. If you have the itch to spend some cash get hydraulic disc brakes. not too expensive an upgrade, makes your bike look a lot more flashy and improves braking in wet muddy conditions...

Have to agree,my friend used to have a boulder and i would always comment how much abuse it took.He did exactly that overtime fork ,brakes & wheelset. He still uses the boulder as his hardtail bike and recently bought a dual sus. :thumbup: Save up for a dual :)