Tacx Rollers

Garfield2010

I finally can stay upright on my rollers..... (Galaxia)

Now I have a few technical questions:-

1.) Are these bad for your wheels? (does it eat the rubber off quickly?)

2.) Can you really stand and pedal on them like Tacx claims? Has anyone hubber done it before?

3.) Is it easy to TT on them? I wanna lean forward but am scared shitless as it stands now...

Any other tips/advice?

Thx

Edited by Garfield2010

1.) Are these bad for your wheels? (does it eat the rubber off quickly?) - Not in my experience, because you tend to weave a little it doesn't get that hot, I think..

2.) Can you really stand and pedal on them like Tacx claims? Has anyone hubber done it before? - Done it, but don't jump out of the saddle and sprint, take it slowly.

3.) Is it easy to TT on them? I wanna lean forward but am scared shitless as it stands now... - Probably. Haven't tried this.

Here is a tip - put the rollers in a doorway when you try to stand - preferably facing and close to a wall.... that way you can use a hand on the doorway to save yourself...

I finally can stay upright on my rollers..... (Galaxia)

Now I have a few technical questions:-

1.) Are these bad for your wheels? (does it eat the rubber off quickly?)

2.) Can you really stand and pedal on them like Tacx claims? Has anyone hubber done it before?

3.) Is it easy to TT on them? I wanna lean forward but am scared shitless as it stands now...

Any other tips/advice?

Thx

Its all easy once you get used to them

Used to be able to stand, ride TT and ride with no hands

Of the 3 riding on TT bars was the hardest but once you get used to it you cannot believe how easy it is.

The realest hardest part is actually stopping and getting off, make sure you have a non slip surface to stand on when getting on and off, otherwise you are going to end up doing the splits with one leg over the bike and the other sliding out on the floor....serious :eek:

Tyre wear is like riding on the road, except you have 2 points of contact at the rear wheel.

Unlike an Indoor Trainer, the weight of you and your bike generate the friction.

An Indoor Trainer's roller gets forced onto the rear wheel.

You can do anything on Rollers, ride with no hands, etc.

You just have to build confidence on them. Take things slowly and you will be amazed at just how easy they become.

Of the 3 riding on TT bars was the hardest but once you get used to it you cannot believe how easy it is.

The realest hardest part is actually stopping and getting off, make sure you have a non slip surface to stand on when getting on and off, otherwise you are going to end up doing the splits with one leg over the bike and the other sliding out on the floor....serious :eek:

Hahaha

My first time I rode on tiles.... slippery tiles. I fell really really hard and nearly tore medial ligaments

I have decided that I will use my Gopro to capture my first moments standing and TT'ing. If they are eventfull I will post them. Watch this space. Note it will only be in a weeks time or so!

I put mine between the bed and wall for the 1st couple of times. Nice soft landing.

Agree you do get used to it.

I would recommend buying trainers tires. Normal road tires are noisier and after 30 min they start to stick on the rollers. front and back.

Here is a tip - put the rollers in a doorway when you try to stand - preferably facing and close to a wall.... that way you can use a hand on the doorway to save yourself...

Or just lean with your shoulder against the wall... Saved me a couple of times.

I've noticed that the tires can generate quite a bit of heat while on the rollers.

I think proper spacing of the rollers for your bike's wheelbase is important too. I've managed to stand and pedal for a short while on the rollers, but then promptly proceeded to ride off them.

Edited by Jacquers

I've noticed that the tires can generate quite a bit of heat while on the rollers.

I think proper spacing of the rollers for your bike's wheelbase is important too. I've managed to stand and pedal for a short

while on the rollers, but then promptly proceeded to ride off them.

This happens if the space between the front and back rollers isn't big enough and your weight is at the front. Increase the space a move your weight on the bike back. This should sort the problem

This happens if the space between the front and back rollers isn't big enough and your weight is at the front. Increase the space a move your weight on the bike back. This should sort the problem

Yup, spacing isn't quite big enough atm. But I might still want to construct something like this (called free motion rollers) which should make standing pedaling easier) http://www.instructa...ycling-Rollers/

Hahaha

My first time I rode on tiles.... slippery tiles. I fell really really hard and nearly tore medial ligaments

I used to ride mine in the garage on a smooth concrete floor

Never knew I could do the splits....do you know how your ....(that place)... hurts when you do the splits for the first time..... not a nice feeling

Agree with Jacquers, spacing is important to get the bike stable on the rollers. Stand, TT, no hands all possible with a bit of practice.

BUT I have not tried the Galaxia, and I don't know what effect the rocking motion of these rollers will have, I prefer the rollers firmly planted on the ground !

I don't think trainer tyres are needed, the Tax rollers have far less friction than on an IDT, unless you have the optional friction unit installed.

Rollers are smoother than tar, thus eats less of your rubber.

Your tires can "square up" a little, but that is when you ride MUCH more on your rollers than outside...