Racing Ron tubeless conversion

JeffD

Hi,

How do I know whether the tyres I have can be converted to tubeless?

I currently have Racing Rons which come standard on the Scott Spark 940 & I want to convert to tubeless.

If I do need to buy new tyres what are the suggestions/favourites?

Thanks,

Rocket Rons? Racing Ralphs?

Probably more important would be to read the other labels on the side and look for a "Tubeless ready" logo.

Okay - first - Rocket Ron, or Racing Ralph?

If your tyres say TLR on the side, then you can make them into tubeless. You will have to either go Ghetto tubeless (which involves cutting a tube so that it forms its own rim strip) or using some rim tape / strips to form a barrier over the spoke holes so that the tire will seal properly.

technically you could make any fold-up tyre tubeless, but some sidewalls are very thin and don't like rocks.

I threw mine away after putting it on my tubeless rims, those tyres like to leak and give problems.. Buy alot of beer and start drinking before doing the conversion

I threw mine away after putting it on my tubeless rims, those tyres like to leak and give problems.. Buy alot of beer and start drinking before doing the conversion

Funny - I have done about 6 non snakeskin Rockets tubeless - never taken more than 5 min..... never struggled... it is a simple process...

LOL ja I was just going to post the same sad story, the normal non tubeless Rockets and Ralph's sidewalls are porous like a cheese grater and take a lot of work to stop the small side wall leaks

My Rocket Rons converted to tubeless easily. Was very disappointed, as I'd bought a case of beers to help me along, and the bloody tire was on before I cracked the second beer.

Easily seated without sealent using a foot pump, then filled it with Stans and sealed easily. No problems since (two months now). The side walls do seem very thin though, but no probs so far (touch wood).

been riding with tubeless converted with folding Rons for 3 years 2x a week.. Finally changed to actual tubeless tyres., but it does work well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

How do I know whether the tyres I have can be converted to tubeless?

I currently have Racing Rons which come standard on the Scott Spark 940 & I want to convert to tubeless.

If I do need to buy new tyres what are the suggestions/favourites?

Thanks,

if they're not in terrible condition just sell them and use the cash to buy proper tubeless Racing Ralph Evo Snakeskin tyres...you don't need to go to the ghetto!