29er carbon dual suspension choice

dee_biker

Guys,

I know this topic has probably been discussed, but my specific scenarion / choice is the following. The price difference is small. If it was your 30k, which one would you take?

Giant Anthem Advanced 1:

Frame Advanced-Grade Composite, 4" Maestro Suspension /ALUXX RC Fork RockShox SID RL, 15mm Thru Axle, OverDrive 2, 100mm Shock RockShox Monarch RT, Solo Air, Floodgate switch and adjustable rebound

Components

Handlebar Giant Contact SLR Trail, 725mm Composite, Low Rise 31.8 Stem Giant Contact OverDrive 2 Seatpost Giant Contact, 30.9 Saddle Fi'zi:k Tundra 2 w/ Manganese Rails Pedals N/A

Drivetrain

Shifters Shimano Deore XT M780, 2x10 speed Front Derailleur Shimano Deore XT M785 Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT M780, 10-Speed Brakes Shimano XT, [F] 180mm, [R] 160mm rotors Brake Levers Shimano XT Cassette Shimano HG81 11-36, 10s Chain KMC X10SL Silver, 10-speed Crankset Shimano Deore XT, 26/38 Bottom Bracket Shimano Press Fit

Wheels

Rims Giant P-XCR 29er 1 Wheelsystem Hubs Giant P-XCR 29er 1 Wheelsystem Spokes Giant P-XCR 29er 1 Wheelsystem Tires Schwalbe Racing Ralph, 29x2.25 EVO Folding TL Ready

OR

Merida Big 99 X0 carbon:

Frame Big 99 Carbon/Hydra-D R12 Color1 matt UD Carbon/black(green)

Fork Rock Shox Reba RL 29SA 100 15 mm Taper pushlock

Shock Rock Shox Monarch XX X-Lock MMX right

Derailleur Front Sram XO high direct

Derailleur Rear Sram XO

Shifter Sram XO -3 / -10 Trigger Brake Lever attached

Brake Avid Elixir 5 180/180 mm

Chainwheel Sram S2210 Carbon 44-33-22 GXP

Bbset attached

Chain KMC X10 10s

Hub attached

Rim Fulcrum Red Power 29 XL F15-R12 Freewheel Sram PG1030 11-36 Tire Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo 29 2.25 fold ]

Handlebar FSA Afterburner Flat, 670 mm

Handlebar Stem FSA SL-K, 6

Headset FSA No.9-55 HBS Seat Post Merida Carbon K SB0, 31.6 mm

Saddle Selle Italia X1

Pedal Shimano M520

Edited by dee_biker

Giant for sure. Their Maestro suspension design is one of the best (certainly best at price point) and the value for money excellent. You'll have a much wider tuning range on the Giant than the Merida.

Giant. Even though I'm an SRAM fan, the parts can be upgraded and the frame on the giant (from a suspension performance standpoint) is far superior. It's also a FAR more versatile bike than the Merida.

Merida is sooooo ugly. Not a looker. Not a bike that makes me want to take it for a ride. Based on that alone the Giant wins by miles.

Had my Giant Anthem Advanced now for 3 weeks. Loving it!

Upgraded from a 2009 GT marathon Elite 26er.

The bike feels very efficient. Very little bobbing even when pedalling hard. and the suspension is very compliant. The lockout makes a nice difference and I can climb standing up without feeling like I am wasting lots of energy through suspension movement.

The XT groupset all works well, particularly the brakes. The shifters arent as good as my old XTRs but I havent missed a shift so they definetely work will enough. its more of a feel vs the XTR issue.

I am setting loads of PRs on Strava on routes that I ride regularly so it is a lot faster. I am not finding any issues with tight single track which is one of the areas that sometimes marks the Anthem down.

Great buy and most LBS will do a good deal on the 2013 because the 2014 is due soon.

Cant comment on the Merida but I investigated most other brands in this price range and the Giant offers the best bang for buck in my opinion.

Had my Giant Anthem Advanced now for 3 weeks. Loving it!

Upgraded from a 2009 GT marathon Elite 26er.

The bike feels very efficient. Very little bobbing even when pedalling hard. and the suspension is very compliant. The lockout makes a nice difference and I can climb standing up without feeling like I am wasting lots of energy through suspension movement.

The XT groupset all works well, particularly the brakes. The shifters arent as good as my old XTRs but I havent missed a shift so they definetely work will enough. its more of a feel vs the XTR issue.

I am setting loads of PRs on Strava on routes that I ride regularly so it is a lot faster. I am not finding any issues with tight single track which is one of the areas that sometimes marks the Anthem down.

Great buy and most LBS will do a good deal on the 2013 because the 2014 is due soon.

Cant comment on the Merida but I investigated most other brands in this price range and the Giant offers the best bang for buck in my opinion.

How did you find going from 3x9 ( Which I presume you had) to 2x10?

2 x 10 is great. I never used my granny gear on the 3x9 because it was such an unreliable change. Therefore just had to push hard on some of the steeper hills. So I now have lower/easier gears available for the climbs.

Havent checked it scientifically but I seem to have a little bit less gearing for the downhills but that shouldnt be too much of a problem.

Paid R31 400 for mine from Marco at Action Cycling in Cape Town, that included swapping out the Tundra for a Gobi saddle.

Of the 2 mentioned.

Giant

But dont limit yourself to those 2 brands

Looked at the Rocky Mountain 950 RSL as well... Beauty!

Long story short... Settled for the Giant Anthem Advanced X1 29er... :)

Looked at the Rocky Mountain 950 RSL as well... Beauty!

Long story short... Settled for the Giant Anthem Advanced X1 29er... :)

Enjoy it.