AA -The Avid Appreciation society

PhilipV

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been using Avid's for 10 years now on two bikes (Giant Trance and Anthem X0). Not a single problem. And I've never bled them..

The Elixir 9's work really well - even with cheap-ass brake pads from CWC. Just clean the damn rotors (and pads) and you will be fine. Chirping stops when they warm up a bit.

Guest Omega Man

Until you try Avid trails...

Hahahahahaha. Funny joke there fella.

I used to be an avid Avid guy. But the only thing left on my bike by Avid/Sram is a Shifter.

Surprisingly not... :)

But I do like hopes too - but the trails are insane - especially at their weight/size.

My Trials much nicer than my XTR's. Flippen XTR so shiny the crows (NOT the Crow) attack me when riding. I am Buffalo size and Avid (except one batch XX) have never failed me.

I have to love the loyalty of the AA's. Admitting that shimano is better, using shimano Ice Tec discs or aftermarket pads to stop the birds chirping, saying Avids havent failed them except that one time........... I reckon they all drive Land Rovers defenders too....... :ph34r:

Surprisingly not... :)

But I do like hopes too - but the trails are insane - especially at their weight/size.

I think trails pose abit of a problem for Avid wrt the Codes. I honestly dont feel a difference between the two sets of brakes ito stopping power. The kicker is weight. Also see alot of the world cup blackbox riders with full trail brake setups, while others are rocking trail lever+reservoir, and Code calipers.

It's really good Oh Mega.

I think trails pose abit of a problem for Avid wrt the Codes. I honestly dont feel a difference between the two sets of brakes ito stopping power. The kicker is weight. Also see alot of the world cup blackbox riders with full trail brake setups, while others are rocking trail lever+reservoir, and Code calipers.

I am running RS9 levers and trail callipers - I wanted the tool free adjustment that the 9 levers had rather than the trails than need an alan/torx key - the master cylinder size is the same as the trails.

Just put the 9's on to the trail levers and stuck them away for another day.

Still have not been brave enough to use 2 fingers to brake with....

Until you try Avid trails...

I used to be an avid Avid guy. But the only thing left on my bike by Avid/Sram is a Shifter.

As stated earlier... I have a set of 4pot Hopes (Tech M4 EVO) on a bike, and on another, a set of 4 pot Avids (2012 Codes).

The Codes win for power. The M4's for feel. That said, I don't dislike the feel of the Code and have neer had an issue with the power of the M4.

Hope's do however have a build quality that leaves all the others in in dust.

...and out of the "big brand" brake manufacturers... I find Shimano to be the "tackeist" in appearance.

Wyatt Earp should appreciate this litle ananolgy...

If Hopes and Shimano's were sound systems...

Hope...

http://www.rotel.com/images/15_series_main.png

Shimano...

http://www.goodlifeshopping.net/pictures/1258042574.jpg

Dunno. I luv all the other products out of the SRAM stable that I have on my bikes e.g. RS Revelation, RS Reverb, RS Monarch +, X0 derailleurs, shifters etc etc. but for some or other reason their brakes just never worked for me. Go figure.

I am running RS9 levers and trail callipers - I wanted the tool free adjustment that the 9 levers had rather than the trails than need an alan/torx key - the master cylinder size is the same as the trails.

Still have not been brave enough to use 2 fingers to brake with....

my Trails offer tool free adjustment :huh: .. unless I'm missing something here?

also, 2 finger braking? pfffffft sacrilege.

Dunno. I luv all the other products out of the SRAM stable that I have on my bikes e.g. RS Revelation, RS Reverb, RS Monarch +, X0 derailleurs, shifters etc etc. but for some or other reason their brakes just never worked for me. Go figure.

omw banna. u still alive!

Guest Omega Man

Ja look if i was poor I'd get the Avid trails for sure. Fortunately I'm loaded and have Hopes on both bikes. V2 on the DH bike and M4 on my trail bike.

I might be selling the V2's at some point to buy.......V4 in Stealth Black.

omw banna. u still alive!

Haha! Indeed I am. Took a bit of a walk on the mild side (...did the Ironman with my girlfriend...) but now I'm back in mtb country!

Haha! Indeed I am. Took a bit of a walk on the mild side (...did the Ironman with my girlfriend...) but now I'm back in mtb country!

lakker! this is weird though.. just the other day i was thinking i should try hit that time of yours in the Majik challenge.. and then u show up for realz and squash my hopes... hmmm..ominous or fortuitous your reappearance is, that i cannot decide..

:P

and how was IM? times, splits?

Ja look if i was poor I'd get the Avid trails for sure. Fortunately I'm loaded and have Hopes on both bikes. V2 on the DH bike and M4 on my trail bike.

I might be selling the V2's at some point to buy.......V4 in Stealth Black.

http://images.biketart.com/images/STEALTHBRAKES-web.jpg?width=800

baie naaice.. :thumbup:

btw: that caliper reminds me of the aftermarket straitline levers.. and those were just omg... :drool:

Archived