Bike cleaning - Groupset, Cassette etc

Ecko_1

Cool if it works for you go for it, as a rule I don't bring degreaser or pressurized water near my bike, I take components off and put it in degreaser...chain and cassette

Broken any chains yet?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Broken any chains yet?

Nope, not one 9 or 10spd

I have broken a halflink though, actually more like the plate on the one side snapped.

i clean my bikes after every ride, the process i follow is:

i put prepsol in a spray-bottle which i spray on the chain, derailleur etc, let it stand for a couple of minutes then spray down with garden hose, i sponge wash the whole bike with car shampoo, spray down again and dry off with a old gym towel, i leave the bike outside to dry properly and then lube before putting the bike to bed.

This advice is spot on, and has never caused me any problems.

Wrt using Sunlight liquid, I've been using it for years on cars and bikes. Never had a single problem with it damaging the finish. I suspect that those who have had problems maybe don't rinse the bike properly after washing.

KISS ~ prepsol, rinse, wash, rinse, dry, lube. Done.

Looooots of advice here. Personal preference at the end of the day.

What works for me is Powasol. I buy the 5lt concentrate and dilute it 5:1. I use a solvent based degreaser on my chain and cassette. However I DO NOT spray the degreaser onto the chain and cassette but rather put the degreaser onto a short bristle brush (but a middle of the range 25mm brush from a hardware store and cut the bristled down by about half) and use that to "scrub the chain and cassette and front chain rings first. Then spray the whole bike down with Powasol and leave it for 5 minutes. Rinse with a hosepipe on low to medium pressure with a medium spray pattern. You might need to rub a stubborn spot or two. Leave it to drip dry in the sun. Wipe it down and lube the chain AFTER you have checked that it is properly dry (Run it through an absorbant cloth a few times)

If you have build up in your cassette from your lube of choice (eg wax) scrape it off before washing.

Just make sure you don't point a direct stream of water into your cassette or bearings (Wheel/BB/headset etc) and you'll be fine.

My bikes get an annual strip down, clean, regrease and rebuild every year and I haven't had any failures due to water damage. Only normal wear and tear.

I use the bio degradable engine cleaner (it is less harsh than the non bio version).

I spray it on my chain, cassette, front & rear deraileur and brake pivot points. I use Sunlight for the rest. After 5 years, my bike still looks as if it was bought yesterday. My cassette shines and has over 10 000kms on it.

NOOOOO don't do it, cleangreen is an extremely powerful degreaser(just feel how dry your hands are after using it), it will make mince meat of your BB, Headset, any linkages and wheelbearings, sure the bike will shine like a new penny for a while, but it in the long run you are hurting your bike. DONT DO IT

Ok first things, go get the tools I mentioned, you will use them over and over again and they are pretty cheap, some place even sell them as a combo together...chainwhip and lockring remover.

I say again, dont bring degreaser to your bike, take components to the degreaser, you have no control of where the degreaser goes into when you take it to your bike no matter how carefull you are. Degreasers are fantastic products but dont spray your bike with them.

Oh and powasol took grease nicely off my chain and cassette, don't see why it won't do it to grease in bearings so I treat it as cleangreen.

Easy peasy to make your own chainwhip. All you need is a pice of 25 x 5 flat bar and an old piece of chain. Cassette lockring remover should not set you back more than a couple of ZARs.

Easy peasy to make your own chainwhip. All you need is a pice of 25 x 5 flat bar and an old piece of chain. Cassette lockring remover should not set you back more than a couple of ZARs.

I like your idea, why buy when you can make, I took the easy way out and bought one a long time ago, but yes, you can make one for nothing.

double thumbs up :thumbup: :thumbup:

Use diesel ,a paint brush and a few rags...been doing it for the past 31 years...works like a charm....stay away from water..I know it rains sometime when you out cycling but try and prevent unnecessary water on the moving parts...

I will clean the whole bike, but to date my bike cleans have really been limited to the wheels and frame (had bike for 2 months). So I want to clean the bike properly this weekend, and am worried about water and the moving parts of the bike like the cassette, chain and crank and deraillers and pouring water on them.

Don't worry =bikes do not melt THAT quickly!! they are pretty robust...just think of where you can ride that beast...

you can safely wash away!!

i clean my bikes after every ride, the process i follow is:

i put prepsol in a spray-bottle which i spray on the chain, derailleur etc, let it stand for a couple of minutes then spray down with garden hose, i sponge wash the whole bike with car shampoo, spray down again and dry off with a old gym towel, i leave the bike outside to dry properly and then lube before putting the bike to bed.

What the man says. Quick and easy.

So I have been looking on the online stores for the required tools. I will need a chain breaker definitely. I need to see if my chain came with a powerlinnk as stock.

So I have been looking on the online stores for the required tools. I will need a chain breaker definitely. I need to see if my chain came with a powerlinnk as stock.

Defnitely get a chainbreaker, your multitool should have one, but its better to get a dedicated one for the workshop. SRAM chains normally come with a quicklink(9spd which is re-usable) and a powerlink(10spd) which according to them isn't re-usable but I know some guys that have re-used their, its just a bitch to remove and fit and you actually get a special tool for the 10spd powerlink. For 10spd chains you can get a "quicklink" type link from kmc I think. Shimano chains come with 1 pin and isn't re-usable off course.

Edited by rouxtjie

From what i have read, the chain whip is needed for the cassette, and it seems more for removing individual rings on the cassette. I have also noted that the whip makes it easier to put the cassette back, but some people use an old chain or heavy cloth. Would I be able to manage without a chain whip?

:blush: Guess what...I dont have a multi tool (not one that I carry with me when riding). I am getting one with the same order. So far I ride with a few people who do have so I have been reliant on them.

From above then I would need to buy new powerlinks for my chain (Tiagra 4600 10 Speed) and keep with me just in case I ever experience a broken chain while riding).

From what i have read, the chain whip is needed for the cassette, and it seems more for removing individual rings on the cassette. I have also noted that the whip makes it easier to put the cassette back, but some people use an old chain or heavy cloth. Would I be able to manage without a chain whip?

No, the chainwip is used to apply force in the opposite direction than the lockring remover. With the wheel infront of you, you push down on the chainwip which is on your left and push down on the lockring remover which is on your right. If you don't have the chainwip the freewheel will just spin with the force you put down on the lockring remover. I don't think a cloth will do to be honest, and its used to remove the cassette as a whole not individual cogs in the cassette. Once the lockring is unscrewed you cant take the whole cassette off which fits over the freewheel body