Mast and Dogs

flymango

The original post of this thread says that they WERE ON the TAR road so therefore you should be expecting vehicles on this road!!!!!!!!

DUDE(TTE), reread what he said, yes they are expected.

"4. Telkom mast access is via Telkom serviced jeeptrack, vehicles on this road is expected."

Cars were not the issue of the original post

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Jessie perhaps one of the dog walkers? :whistling:

Anytime I see "dog" and "bike" together I think of these crashes:

• 2 weeks later...

Jessie is a mountain biker, swimmer, dogwalker and horse rider in Tokai/Silvermine :devil:

And I realise the earlier issue was NOT cars but rather dogs, but I was replying to 'pain and shine'#21, my thought process obviously needs to be spelt out more clearly!

If on tar you are (should be) expecting cars and therefore should be riding with due caution and therefore if a dog/person/car or anthing else is in your way while descending you should be able to control your bike in an appropriate manner. I think this thread is pretty dead now :ph34r:

Jessie is a mountain biker, swimmer, dogwalker and horse rider in Tokai/Silvermine :devil:

And I realise the earlier issue was NOT cars but rather dogs, but I was replying to 'pain and shine'#21, my thought process obviously needs to be spelt out more clearly!

If on tar you are (should be) expecting cars and therefore should be riding with due caution and therefore if a dog/person/car or anthing else is in your way while descending you should be able to control your bike in an appropriate manner. I think this thread is pretty dead now :ph34r:

Jessie what is the problem here? I don't think control is the issue.. I could be wrong but I think that you will find that a dog behaves differently to a car, or a person.

Would you take a horse up to the mast? Careful how you answer that question because yes will prove what I have seen on many occasions, that horse riders are willing to put their horses in harms way. If you answer no, then why on earth would you try making a statement about something that has nothing to do with the issue? Control is not being questioned, unless it is the lack of control from dog walkers, or their dogs they'll be unable to control when a bike startles them and they dive, barking, in every direction.

A human has the ability to apply human logic to a situation. A car is controlled by a human and a car has brakes. A hiker is able to move out of the way with one step, the logic would be to step to the left so the bike could turn to the left and both avoid a collision. A dog can go in any direction, as would a horse.. you finish the sentence. I'm done with trying to get you to understand this.

Jessie I'm not sure if you've ridden the tar road to the mast yet.

I would say the chances of a collision with a free running dog vs a collision with a vehicle is much higher.

The road and surroundings are generally eerily quiet and one should be able to hear from a distance any motorised vehicle straining its engine climbing the steep incline, I would also guess that the road is accessible by a 4x4 vehicle only.

Jessie I'm not sure if you've ridden the tar road to the mast yet.

I would say the chances of a collision with a free running dog vs a collision with a vehicle is much higher.

The road and surroundings are generally eerily quiet and one should be able to hear from a distance any motorised vehicle straining its engine climbing the steep incline, I would also guess that the road is accessible by a 4x4 vehicle only.

years ago when I was a laaitie my dad used to work for the council and one of his projects was that road, at the time he used to have a Citroen GS it had this crazy hydraulic suspension which could raise the car .. we often used to go up there no problem was probably around 1979-1980.... one of his stories is how they had to tow the roller with a grader becuase the road was so steep... Edited by mikethebike234

• 2 weeks later...

There was a guy walking two dogs off the lead around the entrance to Bluegums when I was up there on Friday afternoon. About 200 meters or so behind me, and hwading his way, was a troop of baboons.

I didnt stick around to see what happened but if they met up it may have got interesting.

• 3 months later...

Cant figure out why some of you think its a issue to have a dog walk without a lead. Maybe if you didnt all ride like fools it wouldnt be a problem.

Because it is the LAW.

Secondly, because you are vicariously liable if your dog bites/harms someone.

Thirdly, because it is the right thing to do in a public area.

C'mon, it is not that hard.

Rules of the Trail

IMBA developed the "Rules of the Trail" to promote responsible and courteous conduct on shared-use trails. Keep in mind that conventions for yielding and passing may vary in different locations, or with traffic conditions.

Ride Open Trails: Respect trail and road closures — ask a land manager for clarification if you are uncertain about the status of a trail. Do not trespass on private land. Obtain permits or other authorization as required. Be aware that bicycles are not permitted in areas protected as state or federal Wilderness.

Leave No Trace: Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Wet and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage than dry ones. When the trail is soft, consider other riding options. This also means staying on existing trails and not creating new ones. Don't cut switchbacks. Be sure to pack out at least as much as you pack in.

Control Your Bicycle: Inattention for even a moment could put yourself and others at risk. Obey all bicycle speed regulations and recommendations, and ride within your limits.

Yield Appropriately: Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you're coming — a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists should yield to other non-motorized trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. In general, strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.

Never Scare Animals: Animals are easily startled by an unannounced approach, a sudden movement or a loud noise. Give animals enough room and time to adjust to you. When passing horses, use special care and follow directions from the horseback riders (ask if uncertain). Running cattle and disturbing wildlife are serious offenses.

Plan Ahead: Know your equipment, your ability and the area in which you are riding and prepare accordingly. Strive to be self-sufficient: keep your equipment in good repair and carry necessary supplies for changes in weather or other conditions. Always wear a helmet and appropriate safety gear.

http://www.amarider.co.za/Amarider/siteContent.php?cid=145