Narrow Wide Chainring Question

missionS

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, yep I actually called the guys at BuyCycle to order the older one which they had advertised a while back. They told me they had some other ones available and I got it at the same price Patches paid :D

Here is a pic:

PS - I'm still running an E Thirteen chain guide with a with a zee derailleur. Might be overkill but at least I have peace of mind!

post-16947-0-40396200-1380104399_thumb.jpg

Edited by dimsum

I have a normal X7 RD, would this setup with a narrow wide work with this or does it have to accompany a clutched rear derailleur?

@ Patches and Headshot, where did you get the rings from and what was the pricing on them if you don't mind sharing?

You will drop the chain if you do not use a type2 ( SRAM) or Plus ( shimano) type RD. On rough surfaces.

Type 2 is now also available in SRAM X7. ( x9 and x7 type 2 RDs are cheaper than a good chainguide)

You could just use a chainguide ( Csixx is the best, I think), but the clutch type RD without a guide is best option.

So, you need a chainguide or clutch-type RD.

Edited by D Vader

Hey guys, yep I actually called the guys at BuyCycle to order the older one which they had advertised a while back. They told me they had some other ones available and I got it at the same price Patches paid :D

Here is a pic:

PS - I'm still running an E Thirteen chain guide with a with a zee derailleur. Might be overkill but at least I have peace of mind!

ummm... sorry to inform you Dimsum, but from that pic, it looks like you got sent a regular single ring, not a Narrow-Wide.

I can't see the alternating teeth patterns, maybe it's juts the pic?

When I ordered mine I got sent regular single rings at first. After explanation to BuyCycle they sent a courier to collect the incorrect rings, and a few days later I received the proper ones.

I have a feeling you maybe got the incorrect ones.

Check on the back of the ring and see if it just says "Single Ring" or if it has "Single Ring N-W" like so...

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2013/04/24/1366842665699-hqhzcigwsx8m-350-70.jpg

What would be different running a clutch over my normal RD? Sorry probably a noob question but I've been using only my 32T ring for a month now and so i think i am ready to change now and this seems like a good option.

Also do I just strip the 3 chainrings in front and bolt on this 1 ring?

A clutch RD restricts the cage from moving backwards and forwards when the chain is pulling on it (like when going over bumps). This results in reduced amounts of chain slap, and overall chain tension is better. Hence why it is said to be the optimal for such non-guided single chainring applications.

As for going from 3 down to 1 ring up front. Simple remove all 3. Place your single ring where the middle one went. And fasten with SS or "narrow" chainring bolts. Unfortunately the bolts on your triple will be too long, so unless you put washers in them, you will have to use a wingle ring specific bolt.

A clutch RD restricts the cage from moving backwards and forwards when the chain is pulling on it (like when going over bumps). This results in reduced amounts of chain slap, and overall chain tension is better. Hence why it is said to be the optimal for such non-guided single chainring applications.

As for going from 3 down to 1 ring up front. Simple remove all 3. Place your single ring where the middle one went. And fasten with SS or "narrow" chainring bolts. Unfortunately the bolts on your triple will be too long, so unless you put washers in them, you will have to use a wingle ring specific bolt.

Would the "wingle ring specific bolt" be similar to a standard single ring specific bolt???

Jokes aside, thanks for the advice, will definately look into it, almost bought the normal chainring off buycycle. Whew!!!

Interesting on a 3 ring crank the new chainring has to swung around, prefer to not have all the graphics anyway, wish the had an unetched option for the stealth look. In black of course.

It isn't there. They rectified their mistake.

So they don't sell it at all? I see you mentioned they sent you the rings after all?

So they don't sell it at all? I see you mentioned they sent you the rings after all?

They may sell it if you contact them. Not sure what the price will be though. Yes they did send me the correct rings, as my order stated" Narrow-Wide" before they picked up the error. They were awesome and sent the correct rings, even though it was a mishap on their part and they didn't actually have stock of the N-W.

They may sell it if you contact them. Not sure what the price will be though. Yes they did send me the correct rings, as my order stated" Narrow-Wide" before they picked up the error. They were awesome and sent the correct rings, even though it was a mishap on their part and they didn't actually have stock of the N-W.

Oh I see, thanx for clearing that up. I will probably just order it through them, lately a lot of their stock has been cheaper than CRC/or the same (without shipping of course)

Their ad is still incorrect and I ordered it too.

Their description has been changed it seems but the pictures is still of a narrow/wide. i've placed the order and have asked them to cancel it because of the error.

http://www.buycycle....blue-tooth.html

Yup!

Originally it was described as "Narrow-Wide", had that same picture, and the price was R409.

They corrected the description error, and changed the price slightly (after I had placed my order), but the picture has not been corrected.

a "picture may vary" type clause probably protects them from people trying to use that to get N-W rings... but when the description said "Narrow-Wide" they were "advertising" the rings as such.