OFM Classic 3 November Bloemfontein

Cheese

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The OFM is logistically a dream race....... Not overcrowded at all... You can also actually park like 200m form the start... Don't try that in Joburg...

At the 94.7 by the time you get to the start you have already sweated up a few climbs!!!

Very true, if you stay anywhere in Bloem you can ride to the start.

I also recommend doing the mtb race the day before, it is also vfast with a nice section over Brandkop towards the end

and helps in warming up the legs for the road race.

A few climbs or not it doesn't compare to races like the 94.7km...

The OFM Classic is a fast race. That portion on the highway is a free ride if you are in a bunch... The race actually only starts once you go back to town after passing the airport..

I have ridden sub 02h40 OFM but have never gone under 03h15 in the 94.7 or the Argus for that matter.....

Oh and those climbs are short and steep. Nothing that a few spin classes would/should not sort out...

Quite sure the sub 2h40 was not last year though. Distances have increased the last few years from 97 to 107 km

Quite sure the sub 2h40 was not last year though. Distances have increased the last few years from 97 to 107 km

Indeed... But still I average 35km/hour on the OFM which is pretty good for me.

At the 94.7 I average 30km normally...

Jip, I think the OFM route good though we have a few drags in the first 20 km then relatively flat but that Albrecht always get me. Gradient at 13% according to my Bryton. Maybe only around 150 m that is that steep but I can never stay with bunch there.(Talk positive, This year I will stick with bunch)

Jip, I think the OFM route good though we have a few drags in the first 20 km then relatively flat but that Albrecht always get me. Gradient at 13% according to my Bryton. Maybe only around 150 m that is that steep but I can never stay with bunch there.(Talk positive, This year I will stick with bunch)

Cheese

I am not one to dish out advice on how to ride hills.... however..... make sure you are in the front 5 of the group even before happy valley. This way you start effectively 20 metres ahead of the last guy in the bunch and this will give you some headway to go backwards...

Also when you finish your training ride... at the end try and go uphill moerse hard for 2 minutes.

Go on Andries Pretorius. On your right there will be a hill with a spinning radar on top. Jump over the gate and ride that thing out twice....

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
* NEW CYCLING SA RULE - If you are a late entrant into the OFM Classic cycling race or take out a day license only, you will NOT be seeded. You will be batched at the back of the race. For more information, go to www.cyclingsa.com
This sucks

when will the seeding be completed?

edit: is there any soccer games scheduled for Bloem on race day? don't feel up to the same crap as last year at the finish with the race ending and the roads and all access being closed for the soccer.

Edited by fanievb

The OFM seeding normally only comes out around the Thursday of the race.

Not that many goups, Apart from the Elite and Vet groups it normally goes to about J.

Damn

That was my favourite hill and a crowd favourite....... So now you basically can only get dropped at Albrecht....

So I will attack at the bottom of Naval hill to ensure I have a 200m head start when the hills start....