STAN'S NoTubes ZTR Crest 29er performance

BarHugger

You'll be fine dude. Mate of mine weighs 95 and did a downhill track on HT and flew with the bike and had no issues....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 74kg's and am constantly having to straighten my Crest's.

Prone to going out in technical rocky conditions.

Guest Smimby

No it is the rims - period. Even if you built them with stronger spokes that will allow a heavier rider they will still not last.

They are a soft as a newborn's bum...

I don't agree, mine is running true after 2 years and my heavy 105+ ass on it.

You'll be fine dude. Mate of mine weighs 95 and did a downhill track on HT and flew with the bike and had no issues....

Until he lands his front wheel just a couple of centimetres off his intended line.

Here's a reminder of what happened to me in January, seeing as the thread got lost in the hub crash earlier this year....

I launched a roller, landed just slightly skew with a below-average-strength (1 month old) wheel, folded the front, and crashed so hard that I dinged the rear wheel as it whiplashed over.

I cracked my left collarbone 80% of the way through, was in a sling for 6 weeks (couldn't drive a manual car), could ride again lightly after 8 weeks, and only got fully up to speed after about 12 weeks.

Get rid of them.

post-3655-0-04582700-1380620392_thumb.jpg

post-3655-0-36476500-1380620405_thumb.jpg

Guest Smimby

Take a look at the cross section of the rims http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Rims-C18.aspx

Then you will see why they have a weight limit of 190lbs (86kgs), there is no internal support for a greater weight. As can be seen in the Arch and Flow.

Also Crests are only recommended for XC, so once you start doing more technical all mountain type trails, you should be looking at Arch or Flow. The table shown is pretty straight forward.

Maybe I just got a good set?

I am 95kg, my Crests that were on my bike when I bought it held up quite well for the first 300km...since then I have bent them twice. I replaced my rear the first time with another Crest, thinking it was just a once off...the second lasted only 100km's.

I think the Crests are great rims...I know plenty of guys that swear by them I just dont think they are the right choice for heavier guys especially if you are doing rough trails. I am changing them out for some WTB i23 rims. I hoping that they will do the job for me!

Arch, Flow or the WTBi rims for you dear sir.

Just because you are sitting on a bomb with a timer on it, and the bomb has not exploded yet, does not mean it will not eventually explode blasting you into the air in tiny little fragments.

If you are a heavy chap who is not a wieght weenie bike parts buyer, then rather look to the Flows with a wider internal width rim that allows your tyre to also sit better on the rim .... wider rims are highly under rated once you start going 2.25" tyres and up.

Until he lands his front wheel just a couple of centimetres off his intended line.

Here's a reminder of what happened to me in January, seeing as the thread got lost in the hub crash earlier this year....

I launched a roller, landed just slightly skew with a below-average-strength (1 month old) wheel, folded the front, and crashed so hard that I dinged the rear wheel as it whiplashed over.

I cracked my left collarbone 80% of the way through, was in a sling for 6 weeks (couldn't drive a manual car), could ride again lightly after 8 weeks, and only got fully up to speed after about 12 weeks.

Get rid of them.

post-3655-0-04582700-1380620392_thumb.jpg

post-3655-0-36476500-1380620405_thumb.jpg

Second pic is definately standard Scott Alex rims, you sure the first is of crests??

@ P.A.K, I'm with you, at 74kgs I'll take them no problem!!!

Edited by sk27

So are we going to see some ZTR Crest rims in the classifieds soon? :clap:

:thumbup: Yip...will see my front one soon. (and the bent rear one for free)

I ordered a Hope/Crest wheelset a while back and they sommer arrived with a 150mm rear hub. Must be allot stronger than people think :whistling:

Second pic is definately standard Scott Alex rims, you sure the first is of crests??

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I didn't crash with Crests, I crashed with wheels which weren't strong enough. Different variables, same outcome.

It hurt like a @#$.

Yea not even counting the multiple hard 1 day classics(monster and van gaalens) I have ridden and training rides at Van Gaalens...mine is built on hope pro 2 evo's

.....and your weight?.....

Also do the Van Gaalens thing and Hakahana (65) the weekend.