STAN'S NoTubes ZTR Crest 29er performance

BarHugger

According to NoTubes.com the maximum recommended rider weight for STAN'S ZTR Crest wheel sets is 86kg (190lbs). Are there any heavy mtb'ers (>100kg) that make use of these wheelsets on intermediate surfaces? Any problems or should I consider ZTR Arch EX? Problem is that the ZTR Crest comes as original equipment on the specific bike.

Advice please (except to loose body mass ;-))

post-41755-0-92614600-1380562966_thumb.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have them on my Momsen and I weigh 95kgs.

I am not very gentle my bike and have had no hassles so far( had the bike 9 months and done about 2000 km)

According to NoTubes.com the maximum recommended rider weight for STAN'S ZTR Crest wheel sets is 86kg (190lbs). Are there any heavy mtb'ers (>100kg) that make use of these wheelsets on intermediate surfaces? Any problems or should I consider ZTR Arch EX? Problem is that the ZTR Crest comes as original equipment on the specific bike.

Advice please (except to loose body mass ;-))

Ditch them ASAP... Going to save you mega-$$$ in rim replacements and wheel rebuilds.

Ditch them ASAP... Going to save you mega-$$$ in rim replacements and wheel rebuilds.

+1.

I had bad wheels on my first road bike as well as the rims my hardtail came with. Not necessarily "bad" but softer wheels, which were not suited to my weight (105kg)

Go for the Flows or the Arches. Not the Crests.

I am around 95kg. Crest on my Zula. Plenty of spoke replacements... JB used to blame my red aluminum nipples. I blame my lack of talent and the extra BigMac.

Arch EX on my Evolve, no problem.

Arch ex or Flow ex - I forget which one is the stronger one - is what you need - avoid the crests at your weight - accident waiting to happen.

Thanks for the replies. Thought so myself but just wanted some knowledgable inputs. Any other wheel sets that will do the job but that are not to heavy (both weight and moola departments)?

Thanks for the replies. Thought so myself but just wanted some knowledgable inputs. Any other wheel sets that will do the job but that are not to heavy (both weight and moola departments)?

Yes - there are - but your best bet is to try to get you LBS to swap them out for the Arch if they are unused - alternately build the wheels across to new arch rims and sell the crest rims - you should be out of pocket by less than R1500 if you do that.

They are - if you're 80kg or less. Come to a rock garden and any sort of technical riding and they'll not last at 95 kays, dude.

Well then I need to look at losing some weight. I have done plenty of technical riding and guess I have been lucky so far.

I will swop you for a stronger pair of wheels. Im not a heavyweight, and I will gladly take those off your hands.

Pm me if you're keen and I'll send you pics of my new wheels

I will swop you for a stronger pair of wheels. Im not a heavyweight, and I will gladly take those off your hands.

Wheeler dealer. Kekekekeke

Don't have the bike yet, but will definitely contact if things regarding the rims don't work out.

Guest Smimby

It is not the rims that has the weight limit BUT ztr WHEELS.

that means if you get the whole wheel from ZTR. Ie their hubs and spokes that they use to build the wheel

I Am running Hope hubs with straight heavy duty spokes and crest rims. I used to put 105+kg on them without any issue.

It is not the rims that has the weight limit BUT ztr WHEELS.

that means if you get the whole wheel from ZTR. Ie their hubs and spokes that they use to build the wheel

I Am running Hope hubs with straight heavy duty spokes and crest rims. I used to put 105+kg on them without any issue.

No it is the rims - period. Even if you built them with stronger spokes that will allow a heavier rider they will still not last.

They are a soft as a newborn's bum...