Comparing the Garmin 500 to Garmin 510

tunariaan

Hi gents

My wife uses the garmin edge 800 and it great but a bit on the big side

apparently it excellent with maps ect

Im looking at something smaller

is there much of a difference between the 500 and the 510

I see easy bike has Garmin edge 500 red premuim bundle on a special, would you guys say this is a good enough deal?

I need total climbing and decending

Max speed, avg speed and temp and HR

Maps are not that important,

Any of you have this 500?

Whats it like?

Thanks

Hi gents

My wife uses the garmin edge 800 and it great but a bit on the big side

apparently it excellent with maps ect

Im looking at something smaller

is there much of a difference between the 500 and the 510

I see easy bike has Garmin edge 500 red premuim bundle on a special, would you guys say this is a good enough deal?

I need total climbing and decending

Max speed, avg speed and temp and HR

Maps are not that important,

Any of you have this 500?

Whats it like?

Thanks

Edge 500 has all the functions you need

Edge 510 is similiar in size to 800. Only nice feature on there is the tracking which still needs a smartphone to pair with while riding.

Edge 510 is similiar in size to 800. Only nice feature on there is the tracking which still needs a smartphone to pair with while riding.

Yea, not worth the extra moola also considering the specials on the 500 being run at the moment. 500 ftw

thanks guys

do yourself a favour, get sporttracks3 while you are at it, its free as well...your data will come alive so to speak.

While we are on the topic of GPS devices, which would you guys recommend for the self navigated events like Dusi2C and Joburg2C 2014? Can you get the navigation on the 510 or do you need to go for the 800/810 to get that functionality?

While we are on the topic of GPS devices, which would you guys recommend for the self navigated events like Dusi2C and Joburg2C 2014? Can you get the navigation on the 510 or do you need to go for the 800/810 to get that functionality?

Spoke to a couple of boys that did dusi, they recon 800 everyday for navigation, the 500 will give breadcrumbs which isnt ideal, it will work but the 800 or 810 is the one for turn by turn navigation

I've been using the edge 500 for about a month now, the Red premium bundle abs I can only say good things about it.

It's accurate, easy to use, descent battery, all the stats and it's super light.

Perfect for me and I'm sure it'll be great for your wife.

Look im using the edge 510, had the same issues a month ago.

I paid the extra money and got the 510, same features, but the additonal features are brilliant imo.

Like real time uploading of data i.e. once you complete a ride or spin using your smartphone you can immediately upload your information onto your profiel and can view all inforamtion immediately.

The tracking of a buddy is also cool and the virtual partner, a long with bigger screen , which is easier to view whilst riding and changing from a trraining ride to race ride profie. So basically they the same but 510 additonal items are top notch imo, if you like information fast like me :)

• 1 month later...

Look im using the edge 510, had the same issues a month ago.

I paid the extra money and got the 510, same features, but the additonal features are brilliant imo.

Like real time uploading of data i.e. once you complete a ride or spin using your smartphone you can immediately upload your information onto your profiel and can view all inforamtion immediately.

The tracking of a buddy is also cool and the virtual partner, a long with bigger screen , which is easier to view whilst riding and changing from a trraining ride to race ride profie. So basically they the same but 510 additonal items are top notch imo, if you like information fast like me :)

does the tracking work that well ?

I am doing 70.3 next year and full ironman in 2015 and would be quite nice if my wife can track me on the bike ?