Giant xtc vs silverback syncra

Jacques9874

Looking to buy a new bike, definitely going 650b! I've been looking at a silverback syncra 2 and the Giant xtc advanced 27.5. I got to ride a syncra 1 today for a short while and it truely felt amazing! Between the syncra 2 and the xtc, the xtc is specced a little better and i think the frame might be stronger and/or lighter. The syncra is around R20 000 and the xtc around R28 000. Any advice or opinions on what to go for?

The giant has the best warrentee. That counts a lot.

Very little questions asked. Lifetime on 1st owner.

If the Hub is anything to go by, Silverback are brilliant with warranties. Is the better specs on the Giant worth the extra R8 000.

I have an XTC Composite 29er. I did a lot of research on it before I bought it and I can say from an engineering point of view that it is a solid piece of engineering. Riding it is a dream too. I bought it because I am more of a power type rider than a billy goat mountain climber. It is everything they advertised when they said it was super stiff when it came to power transfer. It delivers almost everything to the rear wheel. If you do some youtube searches there are some of a German world cup rider who the bike was designed for. Cannot remember his name, but he says the same thing about the bike being super efficient.

I know this is about 27.5s but the guys would have employed the same design principles or better on the 27.5 as they did on the 29er.

For anyone here reading that is looking for a new bike I am selling mine. See my classifieds.

An R8000 price gap is quite high and a bit unfair to compare those bikes. The xtc carbon 2 is priced somewhere between R20k and R23k and also a good alternative. The Syncra-Range leans more to a pure XC bike than the xtc does, so it depends what most of your racing consist of.

If you are however willing to spend R28000+/- on a bike, check out the Syncra 1, it got a nice review in Issue 24 of Tread magazine.

What a nice problem to have.

If you are close to Johannesburg go and test all the 650B bikes at the the Africa cycle fair 25 to 27 Oct

The ‘Test Ride Before You Decide’ concept will allow you to try out the latest mountain bikes, get acquainted with top-of-the-range racing bikes and play around with the latest accessories and technology

Tickets are R60, and kids under 12 enter free.

This question came up yesterday.

Are there any pro's on Silverback?

Giant had WC podiums with pro's in various classes.

Which means a lot more research and feedback goes into the geometry, handling, stiffness and capabilities of their bikes.