Local shipping of components between hubbers

Forwardloop

Hubbers!

Need some advice/tips for shipping some wheels down from JHB to CPT. Can anyone recommend a shipping company to use (or not use) and rough costs etc?

I was trolling the hub and didn't find much info regarding this, so thought it may be a cool idea to get some data up about local shipping costs and times for bikes, components, wheels, whatever is being bought and sold on the hub and needs transport (HINT: shipping companies - this would be a perfect marketing opportunity for you).

Much appreciated.

I shipped a fork to Durban recently. Postnet counter to counter was cheapest of the well known couriers. There were a few ones that were cheaper, but I had never heard of them before and didn't want to take a chance.

Prices varied widely though, from R350 down to R90, all for the same service. Makes you wonder...

Guest DieBees

I have shipped wheels with Time Freight recently. It was about R 350 if I remember correct. You pay more for the volume than the weight in this case. Just wrap it properly!

I sent a 13kg roof rack to Meezo (JHB-CT) with the regular post. Cost a whole R82 and it did not even take a week to get there. Just box it up nicely and use the post office.

I used MDS Collivery on a regular basis. Got to know of them when stuff I bought on Buycycle.co.za arrived with MDS.

R130 for a fork

R220 for a wheelset

R500 for a complete bike in a bike box

I like them because I can schedule a collection online without having an account with them, just need to register on their website and get billed monthly + have 30 days to pay.

+1 for Post Office EconoParcel if you don't care to wait a few days.

Edited by Brighter-Lights

I have always used time freight...bought a GT force this week from a fellow hubber and it cost R551.60...and that was aaaaaalll the way from Cape Town down aaaaaaalll the way to me here in Nelspruit Mpumalanga...took two days! Not bad at all!

Post Office is cheap and fairly reliable (to PO Boxes) just pack well as mentioned

Postnet can get expensive when they start charging by volume

Must agree with those mentioning the post office.

Use it all the time for very large parcels to be sent to us and also send off large parcels. In the past we used a courier company but the savings now by using the post office are huge.

Just ensure the parcel is wrapped correctly and there should be no problems.

PO for small parcels that can fit in their Speedservices bag for overnight R70 roughly . Bigger parcels by normal post takes a few days but they want it boxed and wrapped in brown paper if box is a different colour, normally under R40.