Hell and Back

Cacher

Can anyone explain how the accommodation works for this event?

The website's homepage says

"Entries for 2013 in the Race Village (1st Campsite) are now CLOSED!!!

Entries for own accommodation (in the Hell) will still be accepted - see entry form.

There are 2 places where you can stay, the race organisers put up tents at the finish also called camp 1......if they are full as stated here then you have to book with the people at camp 2. Camp 2 has caravans and is run by the nature conservation I think.

You have to call them, and book a caravan or tent that they will put up.

Camp 2 is about 4 km from camp 1 and it is a nice downhill after you have finished on day1 and a nice warmup on the morning of day2....

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Campsite 2 is only for the end of stage 1? So I'll still need to arrange accommdation in Oudtshoorn or somewhere near the start, is that correct?

You need accommodation for the Friday night. Just camp at start as it is also a campsite. It is not a logistical nightmare

Yes

There is an entry and first camp accom on the classifieds

thanks for pointing it to me, that just took all the logistical headache away.

Anyone know what the 3G coverage is like there, in the HELL & Oudtshoorn? Thanks.

Nothing in the Hell, as well as most of the way there, and I doubt it at the start area. Oudtshoorn should be fine. (Unless it changed recently)

no cellphone coverage in the Hell.

the last signal you get is at the top of the swartberg pass.

very limited and intermittent signal around the start.

no cellphone coverage in the Hell.

the last signal you get is at the top of the swartberg pass.

very limited and intermittent signal around the start.

Off-topic but... then surely they must change the place's name to Heaven?! :whistling:

Ok entry secured, but Not keen to drive up alone, anyone going up from Cape Town that has space for 1 & bike, willing to share costs alternatively jump in with me & we can spilt fuel bill.

**BUMP**

Ok entry secured, but Not keen to drive up alone, anyone going up from Cape Town that has space for 1 & bike, willing to share costs alternatively jump in with me & we can spilt fuel bill.

It's a great race. I did it 2 years ago. On my list of things to do again. Pretty warm though. Take fly repellent.

Thanks for repellent tip. When I checked weather forecast day or 2 ago it seemed like a bit of rain the sat evening. Hope that changed

p.s. route is not that difficult,

you start on a little downhill (don't enjoy it too much)

then you start climbing a mountain

at the top you start going down (at least you think you do)

when you finally feel like dying you climb a small little pimple hill aptly named heart break hill

then the 4km elandspad decent into the kloof where you actually stop halfway to rest and have your brakes cool down

you drink beer, braai and sleep.

day 2

you climb for ever and ever and ever and ever.

you climb some more

you hit the 18km downhill from the top of the swartbergpass

you get a nasty suprise with a slight 1.5km climb (see line one above) to the finish-line where you collapse in a heap resembling a human.

ps. check your pm

Good description, except that I think you may have left out a few of the climbs ;)

Good description, except that I think you may have left out a few of the climbs ;)

i tried not to put anyone off :blush: :whistling:

Archived